AJArmstron

Internet Access

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi - I want to use the Raspberry Pi to access the internet.

Is it possible to access the internet via a wireless connection? My current understanding is that at the moment one can only access the internet via an Ethernet cable. For me this is problematic as a very long cable would be required!

Thank you for any comments.

mxcum167

Re: Internet Access

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:33 pm

No this is definitely not correct. If you can connect to the internet using a wired ethernet connection then you can with wireless. The trick is getting Wireless to work. Have a search on here there are plenty of topics covering doing just that.
Martin www.chez-cummings.com

Joe Schmoe

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:47 pm

On a related note, has it been determined, conclusively, whether the Pi can be used as a wireless bridge? I.e., can I, once I've gotten a wireless device to work, bridge it to the ethernet port (using, I believe, "brctl") and then use that (the ethernet) to feed Internet access to another computer (or, most commonly, an ethernet switch, so that multiple computers can share the connection) ?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

SN

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:58 pm

When we get that cracked my internet Pi can feed one (or two) more via an ethernet hub I have waiting for the job...
And do we think squid will run on that first Pi too?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

bredman

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Lots of people (including me) are using WiFi on the Raspberry Pi.

For a list of the proven working devices, see http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... i_Adapters

Return to “Beginners”