Force Close

TV USB Port as Power Supply

Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know, it seems that my Sony 55" 3D LED TV seems to be providing enough power for the Raspberry Pi through it's USB port (normally for external hdds). It is also powering a mouse, keyboard and a WiFi adapter.

Guess I don't need to shell out on a micro-usb PSU :)
I am an Android and Linux fanand have spent most of my time experimenting with my Raspberry Pi since it arrived in the mail. I can write HTML, CSS and moderate Javascript. I am also trying to wrap my head around Python :)

abishur

Re: TV USB Port as Power Supply

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 pm

Lucky! Most people won't have a TV designed to power a hard drive, and will face power issues if they try to run it off their TV :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Paul Webster

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Similar success for me - so I added a mention to the wiki a while ago with the specific model number that I have.
http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware_Basic_Setup#Power_Supply

scep

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:57 pm

My Samsung 650 series has one normal USB port and a "HDD" one specifically for powering drives (manual says max current draw is 1.5A). Just tested it and powers the RasPi fine...

Force Close

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:08 pm

The BT Home Hub 3 also seems to power the Pi nicely, in case you need a headless server!
I am an Android and Linux fanand have spent most of my time experimenting with my Raspberry Pi since it arrived in the mail. I can write HTML, CSS and moderate Javascript. I am also trying to wrap my head around Python :)

Return to “Beginners”