drp_61

setting up internet connection

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:28 am

I want to connect to internet using my ISP RJ45 cable. In windows it uses dial-up connection and I need to supply my username and password to connect internet. How to configure raspberrypi ? As soon as I connect my RJ45 network cable to RPi, send, receive lights flickeres but I am not be able to connect internet using Midori. Hope to get a quick reply which beginner like me can understand and implement.

DougieLawson

Re: setting up internet connection

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:20 am

You need to set-up your RPi with an IP address.

Shutdown the Pi.
Pull the SDCard and mount it on your Windows machine
Using Notepad on Windows edit f:\boot\cmdline.txt
Add ip=169.254.3.14 to the end of the long line of strange words in cmdline.txt
Save the file
Safely remove the SDCard and re-insert it into your RPI.

Boot the RPi with the cat5 cable connected to your Laptop.
When it's ready you should be able to connect to 169.254.3.14 from your Windows system.

Use Windows connection bridging to bridge your ethernet connection (to the RPi) to the active connection to the public Internet.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... =windows-7

You should then be able to access any website from your RPi.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

KeithSloan

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:38 pm

What are you plugging the other end of the cable into?
A router? or a PC?
Doug's advice assumes you are plugging into a PC.

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:55 pm

KeithSloan wrote: Doug's advice assumes you are plugging into a PC.
That's because the OP said they were using dial-up from Windows.
I guess the OP could use a USB modem and dial-up from the RPi.

It's a problem trying to second guess what the OP is attempting to do when you only get a small snippet of the info about their hardware and software setup.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

drp_61

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:55 am

Sorry for not making my point /requirement correctly. Let try this time. I have a ISP, who has laid fibre optic cable from nearby place, 1 - modem(I assume details are :10/100-TX to 100 Base-FX, media converter, TX1310/RX1550), to which a fibre optic cable is spliced with as input. Output with RJ45 network cable. Further he has made a dial up connection on my windows PC. Every time I need to supply username, password, if I need to connect to internet.

BTW I followed earlier reply. However I got stuck with bridge connection. On my computer, as soon as I select two network connection, bridge connection option disabled. For single connection, bridge connection present, however it asks two connections required. May I have not understood this part properly.

It is a fact that I had my Pi since 2012 (first 500), but since not able to connect it to internet, I am not able to download openoffice and in turn not able to use it at all. Hope to get some reply whereby I can at least utilise the raspberry.

smithg400

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:24 am

From what you've said it appears that you have two ethernet connections available on your PC. If that is the case then the simplest solution is to setup internet connection sharing on your windows PC. You can't bridge the ethernet connections because your of your dial-up connection via the modem, the dial up connection will only provide a point-to-point link to your internet service provider and it wouldn't be able to cope with a second (or third or more) device attached via a bridge.

You should be able to find instructions for how to setup internet connection sharing fairly easily and it does differ somewhat between versions of windows, but in Windows 7 it is simply a case of right clicking on the internet connection to to your ISP, selecting properties from the menu and then in the dialog box displayed select the 'sharing' tab and enable the option 'Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection' and from the 'Home network connection' drop down box select the ethernet connection that your pi is to be connected to. The PC should then configure a DHCP server on that ethernet connection and your pi should get an address automatically and traffic to / from the Pi should be NAT'd by the PC.

If you want to connect directly from the pi then you'll need to configure a pppoe client (PPP over Ethernet). This can done by following the instructions here https://wiki.debian.org/PPPoE and following the instructions for 'How to enable PPPoE for an already installed system'. Unfortunately you'll need to install the ppp packages on the Pi which aren't installed by default and that won't be easy without a internet connection.

Of course another option is to purchase a router and install that between your modem and your PC and use the router to setup the dialup connection. You could then plug both the PC and the Pi directly into the router and not have to worry about setting up dial up on either.

drp_61

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Thanks for the detail reply. Further I only have one Ethernet connection on my computer.

Also note regarding using router, I have Thomson TG585 ADSL2+router. Can it be used? As it needs DSL telephone line which in my case I don't have.

Thanks in advance.

smithg400

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:43 pm

No I'm afraid you can't use that router - you need one with an ethernet WAN connection.

I'd assumed that you'd tried to bridge 2 ethernet connections on your PC, so had 2 ethernet ports. Obviously an incorrect assumption.

There are three solutions I can think of:

1) Buy a suitable router

2) Buy an extra ethernet adaptor for the PC and then share the connection, if it's a laptop this could be a USB / Ethernet adapter such as this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-E ... et+adapter (Don't know if that is any good - just happens to be the first one I found on Amazon)

3) Download the packages you need using your PC, copy them to the raspberry pi and then install them and then follow the instructions in my earlier post to configure it. I think you'd need to grab: http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... _armhf.deb and http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/rasp ... 20_all.deb Rather than use apt-get to install the packages you would use the command:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i pppoeconf_1_20_all.deb ppp_2.4.5-5.1_armhf.deb

Return to “Beginners”