ruth

Can I use an old desktop screen?

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:43 am

Hi
I'm setting up a Raspberry Pi for my son and am having some problems.
I have an old Dell desktop screen I was hoping to use with a pin connector and its own power supply. Is there any way I could use this?
I have tried the HDMI connection into the TV. This works on our main TV but not the one I want to use! I'd like to use a Panasonic TV with HDMI connection but I get nothing on the screen. I have found some info on these blogs about changing your HDMI set up in config on the Pi, but how do you do that if you can't get the screen working in the first place to see what you're typing?
Another problem is power. The Pi will boot in one room but does not appear to have enough power to work in my preferred location so I have to run an extension cable across the house. Any suggestions?

Alfadaz

Re: Can I use an old desktop screen?

Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:09 am

ruth wrote:but how do you do that if you can't get the screen working in the first place to see what you're typing?
You have 2 options here.
  • Put the card in a PC/Laptop and manually edit the config.txt file (if the file doesn't exist, just create it)
  • SSH onto the Ras-Pi and edit the file from there
Many options for the config.txt file are shown HERE

Daz

obarthelemy

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:24 am

1- If you've got a working config, make sure you change it only 1 item at a time, so that you're *sure* what's causing the problem. In your case, make sure you keep the same HDMI cable, power supply... and just change the TV
2- To easily try out different HDMI parameters, you can either set your 2 TVs side by side and go from one to the other, or remote into you Pi while it's connected to the problem screen from another PC.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:44 am

ruth wrote:The Pi will boot in one room but does not appear to have enough power to work in my preferred location so I have to run an extension cable across the house. Any suggestions?
Unless you have something seriously wrong with your mains wiring, that just is not possible; just about any phone charger will work off 110V just as well as it runs of 240V. Are you using the same charger in both locations? Is there any other difference?

specsdude
Location: In a small English village, far from the eyes of Mordor

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Can I use an old desktop screen?
Yes you can!

There are many HDMI to SVGA (which is what computer screens use) converters available on eBay.

I just ordered this one for my Raspberry Pi. Right now I'm having to use a massive flatscreen... easy to see but not very practical.

I'll post again after I've tried out the cable.
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!

itimpi

Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:38 pm

I would be very surprised if that cable works! It looks like a passive cable that assumes that analog signals are output on the HDMI connection which is not the case with the Pi. You need an active cable that does digital to analog conversion - and these tend to be significantly more expensive.

specsdude

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 am

Oh. :mrgreen:

Well, it did seem a little TOO easy. :( Perhaps I'll be able to use the cable for something else.

How much would you be talking about for a converter?
Arise! Arise, riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered - a sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride! Ride to ruin, and the world's ending! Forth Éorlingas!

specsdude

Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:58 am

grumpyoldgit

Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:06 am

specsdude wrote:Just found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... e=&seller=

Will it work?
If you look at the reviews on the Amazon page there is one from a Raspberry Pi owner who outlines the changes he had to make to the config.txt file to make it work.

JeremyF

Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:40 pm

You can find more converters right here:

http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... y_adapters
{sig} Setup: Original version Raspberry Pi (B, rev1, 256MB), Dell 2001FP monitor (1600x1200), 8GB Class 4 SD Card with Raspbian and XBMC, DD-WRT wireless bridge

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:54 pm

specsdude wrote:Just found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... e=&seller=

Will it work?
Will it blend? :lol:

I've got one of those. Mine works fine with the Pi and a 23" Samsung TV. I didn't have to tweak any settings at all.

I haven't tried blending it (yet). :twisted:
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

specsdude

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks very much!

Ill have to get one of those then... it's actually a bit annoying having a computer the size of a toothpick with a screen the size of Soviet Russia. :)

Return to “Beginners”