antiriad

SD card corruption and alternatives

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:20 am

Hi,
after a couple of months, my SD SanDisk Ultra 16Gb (class 10) has been corrupted by Raspberry Pi, even with not so extensive use (Raspberry was overclocked to 900Mhz, using last firmware by rpi-update).

I'd like to know if it is possible, after some kind of configuration, to run Raspberry Pi exclusively with USB stick, and if this will avoid at all the corruption problems.

I'd like to know also, since I read different opinion on the forum, if it is true that:
- overclocking has influence on SD corruption
- SD cards of class 10 are better or worse on rPi

Thank you very much.

DeeJay

Re: SD card corruption and alternatives

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:44 am

antiriad wrote:
I'd like to know if it is possible, after some kind of configuration, to run Raspberry Pi exclusively with USB stick, and if this will avoid at all the corruption problems.
See Q/A #13 here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#generalBoot
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

antiriad

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:53 am

DeeJay wrote:
antiriad wrote:
See Q/A #13 here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/faqs/#generalBoot
Thank you very much.
Lowering overclock will, at least, influence the possibility of SD card corruption?
Is SD class important?

DeeJay

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:12 am

I suggest you search the forum for the topic of 'card corruption' - it is one of the most discussed technical topics. I am not going to add anything here.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

antiriad

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:32 am

DeeJay wrote:I suggest you search the forum for the topic of 'card corruption' - it is one of the most discussed technical topics. I am not going to add anything here.
Hi,
I understand.
I've searched and read yet different topics on the forum, my difficulty is that I read a lot of different opinions about it... maybe you could point me to a "master" topic with some definitive answers to my questions?

E.g. Somebody say that Class 10 cards are better, others say the opposite, so I can't understand how effectively it is possible to reduce SD card corruption.

Thank you very much!

shuckle

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:44 am

Running recent software version is the most important issue.
My heavily overloaded class 10 SD catds used to corrupt very often when doing apt-get upgrade, but after the latest fixes, it has not happened at all anymore.

Just upgrade (inlcuding rpi-update) and you should be pretty good.

antiriad

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 am

My rPi was updated to the last software and firmware. I'll try with a 4GB class 4...

GTR2Fan

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:03 am

antiriad wrote:I'd like to know if it is possible, after some kind of configuration, to run Raspberry Pi exclusively with USB stick, and if this will avoid at all the corruption problems.
Not exclusively, no. The Pi has to boot from the SD card slot, but it's not difficult to move the OS partition (/root) to a USB stick or even a USB-attached hard drive if you have one. This does pretty much eliminate SD card corruption as it's then very seldom (if ever) written to.

Doing this also means that it doesn't matter a monkey's what SD card you use as long as the Pi is capable of booting from it. In my case, it's allowed me to use an old non-speed-rated Sandisk 1GB microSD card (in an SD adaptor) that was too small and too slow to be of much use for anything else.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

antiriad

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:08 am

GTR2Fan wrote:
antiriad wrote:I'd like to know if it is possible, after some kind of configuration, to run Raspberry Pi exclusively with USB stick, and if this will avoid at all the corruption problems.
Not exclusively, no. The Pi has to boot from the SD card slot, but it's not difficult to move the OS partition (/root) to a USB stick or even a USB-attached hard drive if you have one. This does pretty much eliminate SD card corruption as it's then very seldom (if ever) written to.

Doing this also means that it doesn't matter a monkey's what SD card you use as long as the Pi is capable of booting from it. In my case, it's allowed me to use an old non-speed-rated Sandisk 1GB microSD card (in an SD adaptor) that was too small and too slow to be of much use for anything else.
Thank you very much, this solution is very interesting, eventually the boot SD could also put in readonly mode...
Do the USB stick suffer of the same corruption problems of SD card?
Could you point me to a "easy" guide to move the OS partition to USB stick?

Thank you very much!

GTR2Fan

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:19 am

antiriad wrote:Thank you very much, this solution is very interesting, eventually the boot SD could also put in readonly mode...
You're welcome. The read-only switch isn't actually connected to anything on the Pi, so no.
Do the USB stick suffer of the same corruption problems of SD card?
They don't seem to from what others have reported so far, but I've not had much experience in that area as I went the route of a USB-attached hard drive instead.
Could you point me to a "easy" guide to move the OS partition to USB stick?
I wrote a handy printable guide for Windows PC users to help with migration to a hard drive. The same principles apply to a USB stick though, so it should still work. Just ignore the part about NTFS formatting and use the whole stick. Here's a download link... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/431 ... %20HDD.pdf

Bear in mind that it's easiest to do with single operating system installations, ie, Raspbian only, or RaspBMC only. NOOBS complicates matters to the point that I don't think anyone's managed a multiple OS move with one yet. If you wanted Raspbian, XBMC and a gaggle of games emulators, the UltraSlim multi-OS (type 'UltraSlim' in the search box above if interested) can do this in one partition, so that's an easy one for multiple OS migration to a single USB stick or hard drive.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

gkreidl

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:48 am

here's a very good guide how to do that on the RPi:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... +fs+to+usb

BTW, consider using a HDD.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Return to “Beginners”