sat481

Re: Playstation PS3 Eye Streaming

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:34 pm

This was my first Raspberry Pi project and I finally got it all working and accessible from the internet. I found the biggest problem was setting up the port forwarding on the hub as I mistakenly set a trigger port which seems to stop any access at all. I found some other forums that showed how it can be set up as a daemon by doing the following when set up:

- sudo nano /etc/motion/motion.conf
change
daemon=off to daemon=on
and then save it.

-sudo nano /etc/default/motion
change
start_motion_daemon=no to start_motion_daemon=yes
and then save it.

now the webcam can be set up for remote access using:
-sudo service motion start (change to stop to halt it)

Sat

Sendo

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:25 pm

I had trouble with corrupt jpg files so I changed my class 2 SD card for a class 6 card. This seemed to help. Also found I only got the first frame when browsing to the pi server using Safari but it worked fine using Firefox.
Great tutorial, one of the clearest I found on a pi web cam server.
Thanks

HawaiianPi

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 am

Just a note for clarity to reduce confusion on this topic.

There is no such thing as a "PS3 Eye Toy" !!

There is the PlayStation®Eye Camera for the PS3
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessori ... a-ps3.html

And there is the EyeToy® USB Camera for the PS2
http://us.playstation.com/ps2/accessori ... a-ps2.html

These are very different products. Different hardware, drivers, features and capabilities. They are not interchangeable!

Please name your products correctly, so that people trying to help you don't waste time trying to troubleshoot the wrong thing.

Thank you.

We now return to our regularly scheduled topic.

Aloha, Tim
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

howarthc

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 am

I have read through these comments and wanted to provide an update on how to *solve* the PS3 eye camera glitching problem with Raspberry Pi running motion.

I tried a lot of things to stop the glitching. But what it came down to finally was power.

I changed my 5v 750mA PSU for a 5v 2.1A PSU (stolen from my girlfriends iPad... don't tell her). After that I am now able to run 2 PSeye cameras at the same time with no glitching.

I did one other change, slightly overclocked the PSU, but I am fairly sure this didn't help with the glitching. hth.

shuckle

Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 pm

My PS3 Eye works fine also, but the picture quality is really bad in low light.
Do you have any hints how to fix the low light picture quality?

pryggi

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:26 pm

Hi,
Fixing the low light performance is impossible. You can work around it by installing PIR motion detectors that switch on lights, so that in case of motion there is enough light.

My PS3 eye, produced a lot of defective images (horizontally sliced) with Raspbian “wheezy” @ 640x480. Overclocking didn't help. Finally I tried Arch Linux ARM and it works much better, almost perfect, now I get only 1-2 defective images (which trigger motion detection) per week. The credits for the hint to try Arch Linux go to this guy:
http://through-the-interface.typepad.co ... art-2.html

I also get 2-4 false alarms per day by camera adjusting brightness. Has anyone experimented with Motion settings which could eliminate this issue?

Best regards.

redkev

Wed May 29, 2013 5:55 pm

i got it all working and am currently import the images to a php picture gallery. unfortunatly the pics turned all black&white after a week. got the eye on a powered usb hub and tried rebooting the pi, no success. any ideas what could have caused this?

IXL

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:36 am

This looks awesome...

What do I need to get this running from boot?

Any help would be appreciated. :D

jum

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:20 pm

IXL wrote:This looks awesome...

What do I need to get this running from boot?

Any help would be appreciated. :D
Yes it is pretty awesome :)

To get motion to run as a daemon when you boot up your RPi, edit /etc/default/motion and change the "no" to a "yes".

Also, try "man motion"

HDgaming42

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:30 am

I'm actually trying to get this to work on a Pogoplug E02 in Debian. Could someone who has it functioning correctly do a
lsmod
for me? I can see the PS3Eye, but it won't connect to dev/video0. I'm guessing the kernel I'm using might be missing a required module...

Thanks!

gbernal

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks for the information, It has been extremely helpfully. Just FYI Chrome didn't work for me..It might be because of the plug ins that I have or something else., but safari works great.

jrlynx13

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 pm

i'm on the most recent raspbian as of this post i'm using a ps3 eye but the intallation of motion i'm using wants me to use port 8765 and when i point firefox to it it wants a username and password so i put in pi then raspberry as i "thought" i should but it doesnt work on a failed logon attempt from my pc the pi shows a "WARNING: 401 GET / (my pc ip) xx.xxms" where x = a number measured in milliseconds. wtf am i doing wrong and please asume i've never used linux in any posible solutions, i'm not a complete idiot and am learning some useful basics but something simple to you could be right over my head so i need things spelled out for me

shuckle

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:47 am

You do not seem to be using standard motion from rasbian since that does not ask password or user id?
And also the normal ports are 8080 and 8081, so your system seems to be tailored?

chrisphil00

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:32 am

how can i manually claer the tmp file to clear space on my sd card. thanks.

deepanshagrawal

Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:19 pm

My LogitechC170 is working fine that process....... thanks a lot for your post ..........

daniel_dur

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:40 am

Short n00b question:
Will this work on a Raspberry Pi zero W?

I have a PS3 camera collecting dust and, with the lunch of the zero W, I was thinking to use it as a cat monitor.

Thanks!

Return to “Beginners”