MarkUK2006

Failure to reach Login prompt

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Installed latest version of dabian6 using Win32DiskImager and installed Class 6 SD Card into RaspberryPi.
Connected a keyboard to RaspberryPi USB slot.
Connected Video and Audio cables to RaspberryPi and TV.
Connected 5V 0.7A Power supply to Raspberry Pi and switch on.
Several pages of boot up appear on TV (almost immediately); however it does not arrive at logion prompt.
It stops at "??c0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt".
Monitor output misses first two letter per line of instructions, hence the ??.
I only get the red power light on PCB.
Keyboard works OK.

Anybody have suggestions on what to do?

Your thanks in advance

itimpi

Re: Failure to reach Login prompt

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:34 pm

On first time boot with the Debian release you can get a hang and need to power off/on to get past it. Have you tried that?

MarkUK2006

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Yes, I tried powering on and off. It seems to stop at the same point.

slacker

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:55 pm

That error is probably related to the SD card, see if yours is in the Problem cards list here http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals#SD_cards or search the forum for "Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt" that will give you some more info, I don't know if there's solution though.

MarkUK2006

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks for the response.
My SD card product number appears to be in both the Working and Problem SD Card sections.
I think that your right, its a problematic SD card and time to buy another one.

bredman

Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:31 am

You seem to have two different problems.

Firstly, you have a dodgy SD card. You seem to be getting mmc0 timeouts. This is annoying and will slow you down but it is not the end of the world.

The second problem is that the writing is spilling off the edge of the screen. You probably don't realise that you are being asked for your username at the bottom of the screen, but this is not visible on your monitor. Press the enter key a few times to make the screen move up. If this is the case for you, the fix is in the wiki page
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... D_monitors

rew

Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:11 am

With the MMC errors, the boot process can take very long. I was trying to diagnose why my 'pi stopped booting (I didn't have a screen at that point in time). So I started working on the screen (a 4", 12V TFT), and when I came back, about 5 minutes after I had powered it on, the 'pi started responding to the network! (I've now copied over my files to a different SD card and it now boots quickly again!)

As to the first letters getting lost, that's called overscan, and that word will work best if you're googling for a solution.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

MarkUK2006

Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks for your help everybody. Purchased Samsung Class 10 SD Card today; now boots up successfully and a lot faster than I was expecting.
Also created config.txt file to correct overscan problem.

Return to “Beginners”