lazarus78

fstab not working in physical location?

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 pm

First off, I am running Raspbian version 7.4.

I have have my raspberry set to automatically mound a NAS drive via fstab.

Code: Select all

//10.2.1.249/UserVol /home/presidio/dellnas02 cifs username=TACOMANTIM,password=TACOS,domain=TACOTACO 0 0
The issue I am having is a weird one. When I have the Raspberry connected in my office next to me, the drive mounts just fine. Everything is wonderful and awesome in taco land. However, when I set up the raspberry in its final location, a building across a parking lot, part of the same network and everything, the drive doesn't mount. I confirmed it is not the Raspberry itself by trying on 2 other Raspberries in the same location. If I bring it back to my office, it works fine and dandy once again.

This used to work at one point. The only thing that has happened since the time it worked and now is there was a brief power outage, and I updated the OS from version 7.1 to now 7.4. I don't think this has any barring on this issue, as I said it does work, just not in the physical location. Further, I am able to ping the IP address of the NAS, so it is communicating. Also, the other 2 Raspberries are actively connecting to another "server" (Desktop in disguise) also in my office, which is a single switch hop away from the NAS server.

Any ideas?

lazarus78

Re: fstab not working in physical location?

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 pm

Nothing? Anyone?

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:17 pm

I'd suspect a firewall blocking ports 137, 138, 139 and 445. Those are commonly blocked after a world of Microsoft machines suffered with the Nimda/Code Red viruses.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

lazarus78

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm not following. There was no virus and the mounting worked before in the location and even still works in my physical location.

I will add that the network is a switched network, so there are no special routing protocols going on.

DougieLawson

Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:49 pm

lazarus78 wrote:I'm not following. There was no virus and the mounting worked before in the location and even still works in my physical location.
Back in the day, there was a horribly bad Windows virus/trojan called Nimda that tore it's way through many networks. Any network admin who wanted to keep his job would block open Windows shares (aka Samba, aka CIFS) so that they could prevent the spread of Nimda. Those sorts of controls tend to be sticky and are there in case there's another Windows virus/trojan using the same techniques.

It's the reason I have to have a copy of some Symantec nonsense running on my Linux machine that I use for work. It's to protect the insecure Windows folk. I doesn't do anything useful on any Linux system.

Simple answer : go and ask your network admin.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

lazarus78

Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm

Well that's another issue. I am the network admin. Well, once of 3.

But that still raises question. This worked before. For 160 days straight, everything worked. It wasn't until the short power outage did the mounting of the NAS drives begin to fail in the desired location. Maybe one of the switches wasnt on a UPS and got messed up somehow. But that is pushing the relevance of these forums, so I guess ill end this thread and consult the other admins about this again.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Beginners”