jonesypeter

Remote access via SSH or VNC

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi,

I have paid for a fixed IP with my PlusNet broadband here in the UK.

How do I setup my Pi so I can access it away from home?

I have set-up VNC and SSH so I can access it from other home devices OK, but not sure how to progress to the next level.

Thanks

ski522

Re: Remote access via SSH or VNC

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:04 pm

The Pi could care less where you access it from. Generally your router that connects you to the internet needs to have a port redirection done in order to access devices internally in your LAN from remote locations. Review the manual of our router for port redirection and make sure you have strong passwords in place when using VNC and/or SSH.

DeeJay

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm

jonesypeter wrote: How do I setup my Pi so I can access it away from home?
As @ski522 has said - you don't have to do anything to your RPi.

You DO need to research Port Forwarding ( or Port Redirection ) for your specific make/model of home broadband internet router. (Or if it was 'bundled' with your service from Plusnet, they might have their own documentation.)
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Tarcas

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:57 pm

As @ski522 has said - you don't have to do anything to your RPi.
Technically correct, but if you don't want every script kiddie and their mother launching DDOS attacks from your Pi, not to mention having a backdoor into the rest of your home network, you'll at least change the password on the Pi to a secure one first. It would be better to use a different user name as well. Remember, by opening either of these ports, you're opening up yourself to the rest of the Internet getting to your Pi. Better install a solid door so they can't just walk in.

Back when I had SSH open to the Internet (for my own use only) I was getting hundreds of login attempts per day. They were trying common usernames, and I assume had a list of common passwords. I'm 100% certain that by now "pi" and "raspberry" have been added to that list. Don't even consider leaving these as default.

benht

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Bit late but posting my notes on what I had to do to configure my PlusNet router in case it helps someone.

1 leave everything using dhcp
2 set a hostname
3 install samba to give a netbios name
4 restart pi and check things work locally
5 set up port forwarding on router - it should show the hostname and NOT something like unknown-<mac address>

This was all needed because if you do port forwarding with just the mac address on PlusNet's sagemcom 2704n then it'll work until the lease expires (eg 12 hours) then unknown things happen and it stops working.

Note, adding a new port application, eg 993 for imaps works, tho the router doesn't remember the option so if you want to change it you have to redefine it.

Return to “Beginners”