humblycrumbly

I am at my wits end

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:46 pm

No matter what I do I can’t get this Pi to boot, or maybe it is but the screen is faulty?!? ahhh I want to scream its been five days and whole lot of hair pulling. Okay so first in anticipation of receiving my pi i took apart an old portable dvd player to use as a screen cuz i recently moved and don’t have anything but a laptop available. ANYWAY a couple of the wires connecting the lcd screen to it’s motherboard broke (first scream session). Finally my pi comes and i try with all my might to use this macbook pro as a monitor but couldn’t find the cmdline file to change it on the sd card. ugh tried networking it for a few hours. FInally just ordered a 3.5” screen for cars on amazon then when that came i hooked it up and everything else and was hoping to be delighted but zip zilch nada!!! i tried both noobs and the the straight up raspbian img itself. all that happens is the red light comes on and the green light blinks three times, so i changed the boot.bin but then it didn’t blink at all. I changed the sd card all together then the green light was blinking as it should very rapidly (i am only guessing) but still no video. So all in all i have yet to even boot it once! i am so sad :oops: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

klricks

Re: I am at my wits end

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:32 pm

What screen are you using? Give a link. It is not likely that an add on screen can be used at 1st boot or even as a main screen at all.
Find someone with an HDMI screen or TV and try your RPi on that and get everything working before trying to mess with an add on screen
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

humblycrumbly

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045I ... UTF8&psc=1

I really don’t have access to anyone with a tv or a monitor i guess i am just out of luck here because i have just really spent all i can at the moment D:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Can't really see what the connector is on the end of the cable but I presume its a composite input device.

So you need to switch the device to output to composite during NOOBS startup. See here.http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 07#p382171
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

humblycrumbly

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:02 pm

cool I will try that! thanks :)

inversesandwich

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Yeah, by all means use it to test the Pi, but if you want to see what's going on you'll need a bigger monitor.

Once you get it set up you can use serial, SSH, VNC or RDP to access it.
InverseSandwich
Visit my page at http://about.me/inversesandwich and follow me on Twitter @inversesandwich

JustThisGuy

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:53 pm

"If you use a 3.5" display with the pi you're gonna have a bad time"

Not by a long shot. I have a 'rearview' car display which looks suspiciously like the one he has and it works quite well. I don't watch videos on it but command line is great and if you tweak the resolutions the gui is usable also.
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 pm

Hmmm... Interesting display and a VERY favorable price... I'll have to think about setting one up to display the time (and, perhaps, date) on my Pi Alarm Clock...

klricks

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:35 am

humblycrumbly wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045I ... UTF8&psc=1

I really don’t have access to anyone with a tv or a monitor i guess i am just out of luck here because i have just really spent all i can at the moment D:
I did not notice you said car monitor. That should connect to the yellow RCA jack on the RPi. Note that you should use input V1 on the display. If you use V2 then you also have to connect the reverse sense wire to your 12V power supply. V2 is meant to be used with a reverse camera and does not come on unless the sense wire is activated.

I have a 7" composite monitor /TV and it is very hard to read text. Jittery pixels, low resolution make it almost unusable IMO. You will be much better off connecting to the RPi remotely from another computer using SSH (text terminal) or RDP (Full GUI).
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

humblycrumbly

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:58 am

Still haven't been able to try switching it to composite (cuz of that thing called work bleh almost done woot!), but according to another post above I have to also connect the white sensory cord, is that correct?

humblycrumbly

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:00 am

:) oh and thanks for helpin me out everyone!

klricks

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:05 am

humblycrumbly wrote:Still haven't been able to try switching it to composite (cuz of that thing called work bleh almost done woot!), but according to another post above I have to also connect the white sensory cord, is that correct?
If you use input V1 then don't connect the reverse sensor wire.
If you use input V2 then do connect the reverse sensor wire.

Follow the instructions that came with the screen.

humblycrumbly

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Image so this is my set up and I tried pressing “3” and shift still nada. Idk what else to do. Maybe i will try fixing that portable dvd player again :?

MattHawkinsUK

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Not sure a Bluetooth keyboard would be activate until the OS had almost finished booting?

How did you write the Raspbian IMG to the SD card?
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Return to “Beginners”