sakers2903

Won't switch on (solved)

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi, I turned my first Raspberry Pi on today and it booted fine, I didn't have a keyboard/mouse at the time though so switched it off again. Now I've gone to switch it back on and nothing happens, not even a power light, any idea if this can be fixed?

Thanks. :oops:

ThomasS

Re: Won't switch on

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:35 pm

Did you shut down your pi with sudo shutdown -h now/ sudo halt / the desktop icon, or did you just unplug the power. If you just unplugged your pi, you may have corrupted your SD card. I would recommend reformatting your SD card if this is the case, and always shutdown properly.
ThomasS

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:49 pm

NO! Not switching on the power LED means your PI receives no power at all, or you are plugging something in that causes a hard short.

even a far insufficient amount of power for the PI to work, still would light up the power LED to some degree, as it is connected directly to the output of the 3v3 regulator!

Its true, simply unplugging the power without a clean shutdown can corrupt the SD-card, but sometimes there is no other choice, like not actually having connected a keyboard! And then, IMHO the chance is quite good that nothing bad happens to the SD-card when you cut power, as corruption is most likely when you cut power during heavy SD-card activities, which wasn't the case in this instance.

Your real issue is with the PI not getting power! This means that you need to remove everything superfluous from the base PI that may cause a short, that is all the cables connected to it (except power of course), and even the SD-card, then try to get power to the PI. It might well be that the PSU is to blame, or its micro-USB cable. Even when you somehow managed to "blow" the PI's polyfuse there should still seep enough power through it to make the power LED light up.

sakers2903

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Just swapped my power supply and it's back to normal, thanks a lot. :D

ThomasS

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:38 pm

Apologies! I should have read your post properly :( .
ThomasS

surendar

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:39 am

mahjongg wrote:NO! Not switching on the power LED means your PI receives no power at all, or you are plugging something in that causes a hard short.

even a far insufficient amount of power for the PI to work, still would light up the power LED to some degree, as it is connected directly to the output of the 3v3 regulator!

Its true, simply unplugging the power without a clean shutdown can corrupt the SD-card, but sometimes there is no other choice, like not actually having connected a keyboard! And then, IMHO the chance is quite good that nothing bad happens to the SD-card when you cut power, as corruption is most likely when you cut power during heavy SD-card activities, which wasn't the case in this instance.

Your real issue is with the PI not getting power! This means that you need to remove everything superfluous from the base PI that may cause a short, that is all the cables connected to it (except power of course), and even the SD-card, then try to get power to the PI. It might well be that the PSU is to blame, or its micro-USB cable. Even when you somehow managed to "blow" the PI's polyfuse there should still seep enough power through it to make the power LED light up.

Hi.I am new to use raspberry pi.Today my rasperry was not boot that is not blown in green light.But 2 days before it works fine.I checked SD Card and the file system was totally erased.I dont know how its erased.I always shutdown shutdown the pi using sudo shutdown -h now command.So give me some suggestion to avoid this problem i.e to avoid card corruption.I am waiting your reply.

Tarcas

Re: Won't switch on (solved)

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:54 am

I know there was a fairly common corruption issue with older versions of software. I believe that has been fixed with new ones (I don't recall which piece of software, exactly.) Make sure everything is up to date when you reinstall:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo rpi-update
sudo reboot
These steps may take quite a while if your software is very far out of date. Especially the upgrade step.

The only sure way to keep your data from being lost is to keep a backup. Flash memory, especially the cheaper cards, are not known for their longevity. In fact, some are known for dying early and often. Flash has a life expectancy of about a million write cycles. You'd be surprised how fast you can chew through that number when you're running an OS on it. Even faster if you're using a cheap card that starts out with sectors marked bad. (The cheaper models are usually just good models that didn't score high enough in the quality control tests.)

Return to “Beginners”