Cloin

How to run a solenoid?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I need to do something simple:use a RPi to make a solenoid extend.
The primary problem is that my knowledge of electricity extends to that I should probably plug it in.
Can you direct me to assistance or resources?

FLYFISH TECHNOLOGIES

Re: How to run a solenoid?

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi,
Cloin wrote:I need to do something simple:use a RPi to make a solenoid extend.
Can you direct me to assistance or resources?
The solenoid (from electrical driving perspective) equals to a relay. Therefore, any circuit controlling a relay could be applicable. At least you can see a principle.

You need to check the solenoid's specifications (voltage, resistance), which will give you a definite answer if a particular relay's circuit can be used.
(Feel free to post here these solenoid's parameters with located circuit(s) and we can give you an answer if any circuit is suitable.)

Best wishes, Ivan Zilic.
Running out of GPIO pins and/or need to read analog values?
Solution: http://www.flyfish-tech.com/FF32

Raspruss

Re: How to run a solenoid?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:17 pm

One of the GPIO (General Purpose I/O) pins of the Pi can be used to "send an extend signal" to the solenoid circuitry.

That signal probably can't be used by itself because of current requirements of the solenoid and other interesting things that happen when the signal is turned off and the solenoid stops getting powered on. For THAT you'll need some sort of interface circuitry from signal to solenoid, typically involving buffer/power elements as well as, minimally, a diode to protect things when the solenoid turns off.

But, yes, the Pi for sure can signal (indirectly) to a solenoid to activate - not a problem at all.

Your best bet is to Google search for various things like "turn on solenoid digital", etc - you figure out what the various things are. You'll see that the interfacing circuitry - even if you use discrete components like transistors instead of IC chips, is pretty simple.

Post-post Addendum: I did a quickie search (not well thought out) and found, for example, http://mbed.org/users/4180_1/notebook/relays1/ which looks like an info-full page.

Return to “Beginners”