PowerOn

Learning Unix/Linux is this product for me?

Thu May 31, 2012 4:08 am

I'm currently taking an online college course titled "Intro to UNIX/LINUX" and I'm rather disappointed in the lack of hands on activities. I had heard about this product prior to release and now that it's available it's peaked my interest. I've taken a few programming classes but none that provided me hands on experience with Unix or Linux. I don't want to purchase a mini laptop or netbook that is Unix based and was wondering if this product would be a good start for a newbie like me. I simply want to learn how to use a Unix based system, as well as become familiar with the board level components and how everything comes together to function.

jbeale

Re: Learning Unix/Linux is this product for me?

Thu May 31, 2012 4:54 am

I think you are the very sort of person the Pi was designed for! Be aware there is still a bit of a wait if you order now, due to volume of initial demand. As far as "becoming familiar with the board level components" there are actually just two, very highly integrated chips on the R-Pi board that do almost everthing: the SoC (system-on-chip) with CPU and GPU and many interfaces (with a SDRAM stacked on top), and a USB/Ethernet chip that does the rest. Nearly everything else on the board is power supply components and the various connectors.

In the alternative, you can get a Linux distribution on a "Live CD" or DVD which you can use to boot into Linux without having to install it on a laptop or desktop. You can also make or get a bootable Linux USB stick, as long as your system can boot from USB.

AndrewS

Thu May 31, 2012 9:38 am

PowerOn wrote:as well as become familiar with the board level components and how everything comes together to function.
http://www.andrewscheller.co.uk/rpi_pcb_modules.html :)

Dal

Thu May 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Awesome interactive diagram AndrewS! I'm almost gutted that I'll never need to use it but I'm sure it will be very helpful for those who play on a component level. Well done ;)
Laughing in the face of oncoming traffic :o :lol:

Raspberry wino

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Why not start off with a 'live' CD to boot your existing PC - that will let you run Linux at near zero, risk, cost and delay. Alternatively, you could make your PC dual-boot so you can try it. Also little risk, cost or delay but it runs at full speed and you can use it properly and save data.

If you want a separate machine you can really play with and you don't expect it to have full modern PC speed or capability and don't mind waiting at least 3 months, you could do worse than get an R-Pi.

PowerOn

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:43 pm

AndrewS wrote:
http://www.andrewscheller.co.uk/rpi_pcb_modules.html :)[/quote]

Thank you, this is a good start!

PowerOn

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:46 pm

jbeale wrote:I think you are the very sort of person the Pi was designed for! Be aware there is still a bit of a wait if you order now, due to volume of initial demand. As far as "becoming familiar with the board level components" there are actually just two, very highly integrated chips on the R-Pi board that do almost everthing: the SoC (system-on-chip) with CPU and GPU and many interfaces (with a SDRAM stacked on top), and a USB/Ethernet chip that does the rest. Nearly everything else on the board is power supply components and the various connectors.

In the alternative, you can get a Linux distribution on a "Live CD" or DVD which you can use to boot into Linux without having to install it on a laptop or desktop. You can also make or get a bootable Linux USB stick, as long as your system can boot from USB.

Well this is my first stab at looking into this product so I will continue to develop a little more knowledge by browsing the forum. At least if I do this then I might be able to use R-Pi when I get it, rather then let it sit in the box until I learn some of the basic commands.

Thank you!

phrasz

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:46 am

If it's just Linux go with a live CD. 40 cents vs 40 bucks. Blank CD's are so cheap I bet you can bum one off a friend.

You can always get a flash drive as well and install the linux iso and boot from it.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/cre ... on-windows

simonthepiman

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:12 pm

I have just received my Pi from Farnell and its a very nice little unit, and perfect to start unix with - I have just started writing beginners guides for the raspberry pi on http://www.simonthepiman.com, I have a couple of really simple unix starter guides that i will upload later this week.
:geek:
Simon

http://www.simonthepiman.com (Beginners guides)

Return to “Beginners”