drp_61

How to connect internet using cable DSL modem,

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:17 am

I wanted to connect my ISP LAN RJ45 Cable to Rapberrypi. However it needs username and password to connect my ISP server. is it possible ? My earlier post for the same saying it is not possible. is it correct?

redhawk

Re: How to connect internet using cable DSL modem,

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:45 am

What's the model number for your DSL modem??

Richard S.

drp_61

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:42 pm

I am using Rpi in India. Using Fiber optic cable installed by my ISP with below modem :
DBG Make, Model : BCEM13/15-20-R, Type : Single mode 20Km, Speed :10/100M, wavelength TX 1310 / RX 1550, Max. transmit Packets : 1600 bytes. This unit has a RJ11 input for fiber optic cable. output with RJ45 cable. On windows 7, 32-bit machine I have to supply username and password to connect internet. I do not have spare laptop so want to use internet with Rpi.
Hope explained better and look forward some reply as since I have bought this Rpi never able to use internet on it. BTW mine was received in april 2012 but not able to utilise it till date.

drp_61

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:58 am

Hello, no reply ? further i have even USB internet dongle (Relience netconnect+ in India), which uses ZTE modem. Which also requires their screen to log in to start internet. Needs real help to connect to internet with Rpi .

sdjf

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:26 am

from what you are saying, it sounds like your ISP requires that you use your software, and that is not possible.

with regular dialup here in the USA, it is possible to get on to the internet from the command line without any special software from my ISP. But I do not know anything about dongles or about access through DSL.

What system are you running on your Pi? Have you asked your ISP if you can log in without using their software?

Does anyone know what software he needs to log in with DSL cable, in general, and if it comes built in to any ROMs?
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

ghans

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:27 am

AFAIK this works like a captive portal , so you just have to login
with a browser. That could be automated via curl or similiar
tools.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

DougieLawson

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:38 pm

drp_61 wrote:Hello, no reply ? further i have even USB internet dongle (Relience netconnect+ in India), which uses ZTE modem. Which also requires their screen to log in to start internet. Needs real help to connect to internet with Rpi .
Get a copy of Wireshark.
Run that on Windows to capture all traffic on your WAN interface.
Connect the cable modem.
Stoke up firefox (opera, chrome, or what ever) and login to your ISP.
Stop Wireshark and have a look at the IP traffic that process has generated.

You should then be able to work out what needs to be done on your RPi to emulate that sequence.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Beginners”