Elegor

Lynx Text Browser

Mon May 28, 2012 9:48 pm

I thought I'd pass on a tip for users who work primarily in the shell, and don't want to have to fire up the desktop just to look something up on Google (or indeed these forums).

Lynx is a text-based web browser that strips out all of the graphics on a web page and just displays the text and links (as well as any image tags). You can navigate around using simple keyboard commands, type into text fields (e.g. the Google search box) and download files, all using an extremely fast interface. It also does a good job of rendering the pages in a pretty readable manner.

For Debian, Lynx can be installed using:

sudo apt-get install lynx

After it's installed, just start it from the command line by typing 'lynx' (without the quotes). You can also run it from within the desktop by selecting 'Lynx-cur' from the Other menu.

By default, Lynx will ask for your permission every time a site wants to create a cookie for you. If this becomes annoying it can be switched off permanently by editing the Lynx config file:

/etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg

Find the following line:
#ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES:FALSE
and change it to:
ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES:TRUE

Hope someone finds this useful!
Steve

Aux

Re: Lynx Text Browser

Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 am

Links is better IMHO.

Elegor

Tue May 29, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks for the tip! I'd never heard of Links before, but I'll definitely have a play with it.

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 29, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm just having a go with Links at the moment. It does take a little getting used to and I am really getting the feeling that I have stepped into the the pre-Windows world of the 1980s.

But ......... pages load with blistering speed and as long as you are just interested in the text it is a bit of fun to browse the web while the CPU usage stays on about 1%.

error404

Tue May 29, 2012 6:38 pm

links is much better than lynx. Lighter, more modern, and way more features. w3m is also an interesting console browser.

tawalker

Wed May 30, 2012 9:04 am

I've been using lynx for years - mainly for testing pages, and for times when I don't want to (or can't) fire up X just for a quick browse. I'm aware of links, but not that some users prefer it to lynx - what differences are there, especially in terms of superior features in links?

---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

error404

Wed May 30, 2012 10:55 pm

tawalker wrote:I've been using lynx for years - mainly for testing pages, and for times when I don't want to (or can't) fire up X just for a quick browse. I'm aware of links, but not that some users prefer it to lynx - what differences are there, especially in terms of superior features in links?

It renders HTML newer than 2000 properly. Support for tables, CSS layout and javascript, and much of the developments made in HTML in the past decade. Lynx works great for sites designed before the modern web, but there aren't many of those left around... It's also faster, lighter on memory and has a better UI (mouse support, colour support, a menu system etc.).

Return to “Beginners”