iwant5please

Can I remove/unsolder some components?

Sun May 27, 2012 10:19 pm

Can anyone else confirm this? (http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =37&t=6591) Thank you very much!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Can I remove/unsolder some components?

Sun May 27, 2012 11:16 pm

I doubt any one has ever tried it, so no-one knows the answer.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Yes, normally a connector is just a piece of wire, but the ethernet connector also contains the isolation transformer, and other stuff. Nevertheless the R-PI wont notice its missing, and will keep on working, except obviously you wont be able to connect to the internet. Removing the yellow RCA connector is no problem at all.

That said, removing connectors like these physically might be a problem, I would recommend using solderwick, and not applying too much force or you might damage tracks on the board.

iwant5please

Mon May 28, 2012 12:42 am

Perfect thank you very much for your answers! The reason I am asking this is because we are planning on building at school a small robot in which weight is an important factor. Although I already have a Raspi in which we can make tests in, we need to have the final version by around September. Since I don't know if the Model A would be ready by September, I need to make sure I can reduce the weight of any Model B by unsoldering these components. Thank you guys!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 28, 2012 1:20 am

you are most welcome.

P.S. if you put small female header pins in the holes for the Ethernet port, you could plug in the ethernet port whenever the need arises to do ethernet communication with the board.

Smartybones

Mon May 28, 2012 3:55 pm

just to add my 2p worth...

I would hazard a guess that if the weight is that much of an issue that the RCA and RJ45 are considered for removal, that its going to be some sort of flying robot?

in my honest opinion, leave the RPI intact and find other ways of weight loss.... between the two items, you only talking about a few grammes. If such a tiny amount will make that much of a difference, then you may find that difrences in air pressure will also make the difference between it flying or not..

added weight can be overcome by increased lift. this will also give a little more stability in air currents. it can make the difference between it flying indoors only or outdoors...

other ways to gain a weight reduction in your project will be to look at what your constructing it out of. use glues instead of nuts and bolts. composites instead of metals.

davez

Mon May 28, 2012 4:03 pm

I have a question that is related to this topic.

It's about removing the USB unit, or at least. One of mine plans is to remove it and solder on at least one of the connectors using wires to usb hub on another place. So in that case get a tighter fit for my case and hopefully a better looking case as the usb connector sticks out a bit.

Not sure about leaving one of the usb jacks untouched (un-soldered).
RCA-jack might go too, no need for it really.
http://blog.davido.me General tech site

[email protected]

Mon May 28, 2012 5:10 pm

iwant5please wrote:Perfect thank you very much for your answers! The reason I am asking this is because we are planning on building at school a small robot in which weight is an important factor. Although I already have a Raspi in which we can make tests in, we need to have the final version by around September. Since I don't know if the Model A would be ready by September, I need to make sure I can reduce the weight of any Model B by unsoldering these components. Thank you guys!
I'm curious about your need for it to be as light as possible - but only because I'm thinking that the weight of the base, wheels, motors and batteries will far outweigh the Pi, so saving a fraction of a percent on the total weight by removing a few bits of plastic + thin metal sheet is a debabtable saving IMO. I'd be surprised if you're going to save more than 10-20 grams by removing those connectors.

And just search for running the Pi on batteries - it's not a lean machine in that deaprtment! You really will need some good LiPo's to make it run (and power the motors!) for any length of time.

It sounds like a fun project though, but I do wonder if maybe you'd best be putting "engineering" elsewhere...

-Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

iwant5please

Tue May 29, 2012 12:05 am

I am actually making a humanoid robot so the weight is important for the balance once it is standing up. The thing is that I will also be using an arduino nano to control the motors so I want to take those components off the Pi in order to try to compensate for the weight of the arduino. Thank you so much for answering guys! I will try to do this... if everything goes well then I will be really happy, if not I will post the process on youtube with the title "Torturing the Raspberry Pi" lol.

Bluemerlin

Tue May 29, 2012 12:21 am

iwant5please wrote:I am actually making a humanoid robot so the weight is important for the balance once it is standing up. The thing is that I will also be using an arduino nano to control the motors so I want to take those components off the Pi in order to try to compensate for the weight of the arduino. Thank you so much for answering guys! I will try to do this... if everything goes well then I will be really happy, if not I will post the process on youtube with the title "Torturing the Raspberry Pi" lol.

Looking forward to witnessing the first real raspberry pi mod I've seen. Let us know when the video is up.

iwant5please

Tue May 29, 2012 5:20 am

Yeah of course! Although I will be doing this with the other Raspi I ordered. Newark in the U.S. told me that it would be arriving early July so as soon as I get it I will do this mod. I am not crazy to the point of sacrificing my only Raspi at the moment :P Thanks!

Smartybones

Tue May 29, 2012 7:11 pm

iwant5please wrote:I am actually making a humanoid robot so the weight is important for the balance once it is standing up.
Ahhh,,, the biped robot....

A group of us had a bash at this when I was in Collage doing a Btec in electronics. I am not sure how far you have got in the design stage but a few things we found in our R&D... Small is bad. it is a lot harder to balance a small robot. It requires a lot faster computations than a larger robot when trying to balance a dynamically self-balancing robot.

We found that trying to get a balanced robot by placing components in an arrangement that will give it a neutral stance a act of futility. Every time you make a minor adjustment to anything threw it all out. We spent too much time adding weights or removing weight to balance it that progress was stunted.

We ended up with a robot with a low centre of gravity & pressure sensors on its feet that detected an imbalance left or right, front or back. through a micro controller, it adjusted two weights that could move via a motor, front to back and left to right until the robot was balanced. This was done as part of the power-up routine so that it would not interfere with the shift in centre of gravity that was used to make it walk. The massive advantage this gave was that from time to time when a board was getting tossed for a better design, we didn't have to spend ages getting it balanced again.

we did have some success in getting it to walk, the main issue we had was getting it to stop. We just did not have enough processing power to make adjustments to leg movements fast enough. It would either fall over or start to run, then fall.... That said, this was 1986/1987... no doubt with todays processing power, we would have had a lot more success...

RayRenteria

Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:12 pm

I successfully removed the ethernet port and the RCA jack from my Model B RPi using a soldering iron and a"solder sucker." Everything booted right up and it doesn't seem to miss those parts.

I removed the parts due to space limitations.

--Ray

pluggy

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:17 am

One of my Pis has had the analogue video socket forcibly removed with a pair of wire cutters without issue. :mrgreen:
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “Beginners”