obarthelemy

Which distro ?

Sun May 27, 2012 3:30 pm

My Pi should be here Real Soon Now.. And I'm still unsure about which distro to use it with. I know, I should try them all out... except installing them all, updating them all, fixing them all, and tweaking them all, seems a lot of work.

Fedora is supposed to be the official one, as far as I know, except it conspicuously absent from the forums.
Debian seems to be the most used
Arch seems to have the best software available, and I know from the PC side their support is quite good.

I don't want to spend a lot of time getting the OS the a stable, reliable state. I'd rather spend a little bit of time tweaking it, another little bit of time installing and tweaking apps (torrent, dlna serveur, samba... probably in CLI more), and a whole lot of time actually using the Pi.

Which distro should a noob use ?

itimpi

Re: Which distro ?

Sun May 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Debian is now the recommended one.

Fedora is deprecated at the moment because of issues in the initial release that have still not been resolved. You will notice it has been removed from the Downloads page. This may change when the Fedora 17 release is ready for the Pi, but that is still some way off I think.

WASD

Sun May 27, 2012 9:57 pm

Take the debian image if you want GUI and stuff preinstalled and ready to go. I myself prefer Arch Linux after having tried them both (not the Pi-versions). But if you already have experience with debian and don't want to mess with something entierly new I would also choose that.

Psycho Squid

Mon May 28, 2012 6:34 pm

My vote on Debian for a newbie. Good luck and have fun!
Rasberry Pi model B
GNU\Linux
Andreas Eriksson
Karlstad, Sweden

raspfly

Thu May 31, 2012 8:48 pm

AndrewS

Thu May 31, 2012 11:09 pm

With the emphasis on the should ;)
No disrespect intended towards the talented developers of other distros, but when even the "official distros" of Debian and Arch (as well as the kernel and firmware) are still being worked on, I expect it'll be a while before other distros are able to catchup, and be suitable for use by "New Linux user"s.
Although maybe I'll be proved wrong *shrug*

Blacklite

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:21 pm

As an avid linux user, I have tried almost every linux distro under the sun.
the one i'd recommend is ubuntu, i'd suggest installing GNU/Grub to the SD Card (Bootloader) and then booting from an external hard drive (at least 80GiB)

Silly Noobs, :ugeek:

dms05

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:01 pm

The choice for any user is pretty fundamental. If you go the Debian way then you will boot up into a fully functioning GUI with some basic applications installed. Arch is completely different - you chose what you want and you build your own OS based on Arch but quite possibly unique to you. With Arch you will need to spend a lot of time (especially if a newbie) learning about how to build your own OS. I guess for almost all newbies it has to be Debian (but Arch does have some advantages when you are more at home with the Linux OS).

grumpyoldgit

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Blacklite wrote:As an avid linux user, I have tried almost every linux distro under the sun.
the one i'd recommend is ubuntu, i'd suggest installing GNU/Grub to the SD Card (Bootloader) and then booting from an external hard drive (at least 80GiB)

Silly Noobs, :ugeek:
Except that my understanding is that Ubuntu is not an option for now, whether it is on the Sd card, memory stick or external drive.

obarthelemy

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Yep. And Grub does not apply to the ARM platform.

phrasz

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:39 am

Another factor you should always consider is package management:
Puppy: Package management == meh, and Bones are terrible
Debian: .deb files and aptitude FTW (sudo apt-get install _____ all day long)
Arch: Great as well, but not OOB friendly. Uses scripts to pull all needed files vs a single file

ikarus342000

Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:32 am

I tried and use many distributions. I am sure Rasp Puppy is the easiest to use by a newcomer. No hassle downloading, burning the files also easy. And it works without hassle from the beginning.
Mind I use it on a normal PC, no Raspberry right now.

B.K.

Montala

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:24 pm

I have high hopes for Raspbian, which even has its own website! (http://www.raspbian.org/FrontPage)
It is still early days I know, but they appear to have a very active and enthusiastic team working on it, and things do seem to be moving forward at a faster pace than some of the other distros mentioned.

One to watch, I think.

obarthelemy

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Raspbian certainly seems a good way going forward, recompiling debian to fully take advantage of the Pi's limited hardware makes a lot of sense.
I'm just concerned that I might struggle if I ever need something that's not in the repo (minidlna comes to mind), or that updates and docs/support might fall behind.
I think I'll start off with debian.

brightspirit

Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:09 pm

I'd say Debian for a newbie but Arch for the more advanced who wants to do more tweaking. ;)

zardoz99

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:01 am

If you want "bleeding edge" then Fedora 17 is now available for those with extensive Linux experience.

Z.

extravagoose

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:30 pm

To be fair with Arch... pacman makes life very easy when it comes to installing/removing things :)

Sure, its probably not the most newbie friendly of the distros, but I've not touched a Linux system for best part of 10 years or so (had previously used Slackware and FreeBSD) until 2002. So going straight to Arch was quite a jump, but a little learning and rekindling of skills, I love Arch for many of the reasons already stated.

However, SD cards are relatively cheap, so just as easy to simply create an OS image on several cards and try them each out... although my Arch SD card merely boots Arch from my 500gb External HDD :)
RPi 1: Hostname: Gimli, 500Gb USB HDD, ArchLinux | ARM.
Main Use: Bit of everything - but mainly web server, Network Storage and C programming.

RPi 2: Hostname tba, awaiting delivery.

obarthelemy

Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 pm

SD cards are cheap, the time to dig into a distro isn't ^^

Robert_M

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:41 am

I'm happy to stick to Debian for the time being. I had grand schemes of making SD cards for all the distros, but, eh... it's beyond me to be able to keep them up and running. If it turns out Debian isn't doing it for me, then I can always switch at a later date. :-)
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

mumblefuzz

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:53 pm

If you've messed around with Ubuntu on other architectures you'll be comfortable with Debian on Raspberry Pi / ARM.

bdg2

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:31 am

zardoz99 wrote:If you want "bleeding edge" then Fedora 17 is now available for those with extensive Linux experience.

Z.
Where?

In fact where is ANY Fedora for the RPi?

It seems to have been pulled from the download page.

gregjo

Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:34 am

Unofficial Fedora 17 nightly builds are available here:
http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/arm-nightlies/

Montala

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:33 am

gregjo wrote:Unofficial Fedora 17 nightly builds are available here:
There are some downloads at the bottom of that page which specifically mention the Raspberry Pi, although I am not sure how 'new' they are... or exactly how to install them onto an SD card! :?

bdg2

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks.

Looks hopeful.

gregjo

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:35 am

Montala wrote:
There are some downloads at the bottom of that page which specifically mention the Raspberry Pi, although I am not sure how 'new' they are... or exactly how to install them onto an SD card! :?
Here's some instructions written by someone else.
http://iwantwatson.blogspot.com/2012/06 ... -from.html

Return to “Beginners”