phree

desktop

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:13 pm

I know how to start the desktop gui from the command line, but how do you stop the desktop ? I dont mean open a cline window but actually revert to a command line only.
Just learning the way....

Nr90

Re: desktop

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:22 pm

In the command line:

Code: Select all

pkill x
Or easier: if you run raspi-config and select your keyboard layout, you are asked if you want to set ctrl + alt + backspace to kill the desktop

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:40 pm

For the raspbian LXDE desktop there's also the logout/exit button on the far right end of the (bottom) task bar (this is different to the similar, larger button on the desktop itself - that provides a "clean shutdown" option instead.)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

phree

Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:52 am

Thankyou both.
Just learning the way....

Joe Schmoe

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 am

There's a thing worth learning here - and that is that Ctrl/Alt/Fn (where n is a number, from 1 to 6, or so) will switch you between "virtual consoles". Many new users don't know this.

So, two ideas/solutions related to the OP, which use virtual console switching:

1) From the GUI (desktop), if you press Ctrl/Alt/F2, you will get to virtual console #2 and it will look for all the world as if you have exited the GUI. This actually should suffice for most people's desire to "kill the desktop". You can then get back to the GUI (which is, in fact, still running), by pressing Ctrl/Alt/F7.

2) Or, if you really do need to kill it, you can press Ctrl/Alt/F1, which switches you to virtual console #1, and you'll see a bunch of messages that are the output from having run "starts" on that console. If you now press Ctrl/C, it will (gently) "crash" the GUI, returning you to the command prompt on that virtual console.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Return to “Beginners”