Gailhill66

Help VGA to HDMI converters

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi everyone

and my apologies since my query is undoubtedly a repetition but I can't find out what to do.

After a long day setting everything up and a trip to Maplins to get a VGA to HDMI converter (which cost a painful £49.99!) my son and I triumphantly plugged everything in, only for my monitor to refuse to come on! Thinking perhaps my monitor had died whilst inactive, I then plugged it back into my cranky old pc and it works fine.

So I reconnected it to the converter, plugged everything into the Raspberry pi and not a dicky bird. The Raspbery Pi seems to be working (all the lights were on and I did download NOOBs as per instructions), ethernet cable showing good signs of life attached to my router, but nothing on the monitor! The converter has a blue light shining on the VGA side but nothing on the HDMI side. I am at a loss what to do next, as I read carefully and was convinced this would work.

If anyone is kind enough to reply, I am a complete beginner, so please explain any technical terms.

Thanks very much.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Help VGA to HDMI converters

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Probably your converter prevents reading the monitors EEPROM with monitor setting, so you must set the configuration manually, see the wiki at http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiBoard and search for config.txt.

rpdom

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Gailhill66 wrote:After a long day setting everything up and a trip to Maplins to get a VGA to HDMI converter
Shouldn't that be a HDMI to VGA converter? It needs to convert the HDMI output of the Pi to the VGA input of your monitor.

rudiel

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 pm

You can us a simple HDMI to DVI adapter if your monitor has a DVI input. Also have a look at www.seeedstudio.com they have a nice looking HDMI to VGA adapter going for US $9.90.

hope this helps..

Rudie

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:26 pm

HDMI and DVI use exactly the same signaling, so no electronic conversion is needed, just a different cable.

Return to “Beginners”