misterTubbs

Received male to male jumper cables

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:22 am

I bought this kit:
http://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry ... B00G1PNG54
Which came with a bunch of jumper cables. Only thing is, is they are all male to male, and not male to female as you would expect, which means I cannot access the GPIO pins on the RPi. Is this intentional? I am really new here to electrical engineering, so I'm hoping I'm just missing something. Is there anyway to change one of the ends to a female end so I can actually use my RPi?

This is ridiculous, a ULTIMATE STARTER KIT FOR 80$ should come with the basic cables you need to start on your projects. Kind of angry right now.

Jessie

Re: Received male to male jumper cables

Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:50 am

Did it not come with the pictured ribbon cable? It looks like it is a knock off of the Adafruit picobbler.

misterTubbs

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:01 am

No, it did, amazingly enough. The only good that's come from this kit is a undamaged RPi and a 8 gig SD card with Raspbian pre-loaded. I feel ripped off.

Edit: Oh sorry, I meant it didn't come with male to female dupoint jumper cables. Not the ribbon.

rpdom

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:03 am

The picture of that kit looks as if it contains everything you need to connect to the GPIOs.

Use one end of the flat gray cable to connect to the GPIO connector. The other end goes into the socket on the little circuit board. The pins from that then go into the white "breadboard". The M-M jumper cables are to connect things together on the breadboard, like LEDs and resistors etc.

misterTubbs

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:20 am

So, that makes sense, but why do I need the cable exactly? Would it not be easier to just have dupoint cables from the RPi to the breadboard? What's the point of the ribbon exactly?

Hove

Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:02 am

The ribbon cable carries all 26 GPIO pins to the breadboard (via the Adafruit cobbler PCB), so you can then use your male-male cables just to join bits together on the breadboard. It helps keep the breadboard layout tidy, which (when you start using lots of the GPIO pins) is a very good thing.
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

simplesi

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:20 am

That looks like a very nice (and reasonable value) starter kit.

I've done what you done in the past - got something and thought - what's this load of tosh and realised that actually it was quite good and it was just me :)

have fun :)

SimonI
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:42 am

It looks like the kit is not expecting you to connect wires directly from the Raspberry Pi to the breadboard, but to go through the Pi Cobbler with the Ribbon Cable.
Doing it is way your Raspberry Pi can be nice and safe in the case connected to the breadboard and you can do your experiments from there. Everything connects from the Pi Cobbler on the breadboard so male/male cables are the correct type.

Rather than getting male/female cables in the past I've used female cables with a small piece of wire inserted in one end. Not robust for a permanent set up but good enough for tinkering.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

misterTubbs

Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Well... Know I feel bad for this whole topic! :( Sorry Canakit, apparently you're just helping me!

Thank you all for working with me, now to start making a LED blink ;)

klricks

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:21 pm

FYI- I ordered a set like this which has all 3 types: M-M, F-M, F-F
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x40P-Dupont-Wi ... 5af9c68be4
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:26 pm

misterTubbs wrote:Well... Know I feel bad for this whole topic! :( Sorry Canakit, apparently you're just helping me!

Thank you all for working with me, now to start making a LED blink ;)
As simplesi said we've all been there. That's the joy of experiencing new things.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

Return to “Beginners”