x15mnij

Not enough space to run Raspbian with 4GB SD card??

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:29 pm

I followed the instructions to format my 4GB SD card and copy the NOOBS files to it from here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/wp-content/u ... e-v2_1.pdf

Then i boot it for the first time and it takes me straight into a NOOBS v1.3.2 GUI asking me to choose an OS. I choose Raspbian and it says 2352 MB needed but only 2300 MB available. I even moved the Pidora folder off the SD card to make room but that didn't make a difference. And I don't get the "raspi-config" setup screen. And this is a 4GB SD card. Why doesn't the quick-start-guide mention the raspi-config setup?

What did I miss?

regards,
js.
washington, dc.

DougieLawson

Re: Not enough space to run Raspbian with 4GB SD card??

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:11 pm

Get the card back on your laptop.

You can delete stuff in the NOOBS/os directory that you would never want to use. So if it's just Raspbian you plan on using you can safely get rid of ../os/Arch, ../os/OpenELEC, ../os/Pidora ../os/RaspBMC & ../os/RISC_OS

That will free up space on your approximately 4GB SDCard and should get you running.

Or download the Raspbian image and Win23DiskImager and you can avoid using NOOBS completely.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

x15mnij

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 am

Dougie - thank you - that did it - it works now. I thought I had deleted one of those folders as a test, but it still hadn't worked. Maybe i forgot to empty the recycle bin (I set up the SD card on a Macbook Air...)

Anyway, I was more careful this time and recorded the SD card usage before and after deleting all the other OS directories and emptying the recycle bin, then i could clearly see that space had opened up.

After copying the NOOBS stuff to the SD card:

Capacity: 3.9 GB
Available: 2.51 GB
Used: 1,389,625,344 bytes (1.39 GB on disk)

After deleting the unnecessary stuff:

Capacity: 3.9 GB
Available: 3.31 GB
Used: 585,990,144 bytes (586 MB on disk)

I also now see that raspi-config is part of Raspian, so you won't see that until *after* Raspian has been installed onto the SD Card.

The quick setup guide appeared to have been so well-written - i'm disappointed that it didn't mention this SD card capacity problem with the 4GB SD card, which is the [minimum] recommended size.

Thank you very much! :)
regards,
js.
washington, dc.

jarodium

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:48 pm

I second.
Please make note on the Guide so that one can know about it too.

That also caught me by suprise and was afraid to delete anything on the SD.

Cheers
Pedro

Tarcas

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:19 pm

The quick setup guide appeared to have been so well-written - i'm disappointed that it didn't mention this SD card capacity problem with the 4GB SD card, which is the [minimum] recommended size.
I think it's fairly recent that the image has gotten larger than a 4 GB card can handle. It was probably an oversight that the guide hasn't been updated since this threshold was surpassed.

DeeJay

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:36 pm

This has been raised as an Issue on the NOOBS github site. The developers say that a new version is imminent and are reluctant to make any updates in the meantime. The 'headline' information on the Downloads Page has been updated to say:
We recommend that first-time Pi users start by downloading and installing our New Out of Box Software (NOOBS) onto a 8GB (or larger) SD card.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Return to “Beginners”