0x0000

What is /dev/ttyUSBX ?

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:30 am

Hello,

I am currently connecting two USB devices on my Raspberry Pi , a Wifi Dongle and a GPS receiver. But even if i swap there positions the GPS data is always available at

Code: Select all

/dev/USB0

What I mean is,

If i connect GPS Rx to the first USB port , I could read its data from /dev/ttyUSB0
and even if i connects it to the 2nd USB port , I still have to read it from /dev/ttyUSB0.

Why the data is always available at /dev/ttyUSB0 , isn't there anything like /dev/ttyUSB1 for 2nd port ?

Also, If I'd connect self-powered USBhub, would there be /dev/ttyUSB2, /dev/ttyUSB3, /dev/ttyUSB4, etc ?

rpdom

Re: What is /dev/ttyUSBX ?

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:11 am

The device numbering doesn't relate to which USB port it is plugged in to.

It is the order that the devices are detected. ttyUSB means "USB serial port adapter" and the "0" (or "1" or whatever) is the device number. ttyUSB0 is the first one found, ttyUSB1 is the second etc. (Note that if you have two similar devices, then the ports that they are plugged into may affected the order they are detected in, and so the names).

You only have one serial device, so it will always be ttyUSB0.

Your wifi dongle is not a serial port adapter, so doesn't get a ttyUSB created for it.

0x0000

Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:27 am

rpdom wrote:The device numbering doesn't relate to which USB port it is plugged in to.

It is the order that the devices are detected. ttyUSB means "USB serial port adapter" and the "0" (or "1" or whatever) is the device number. ttyUSB0 is the first one found, ttyUSB1 is the second etc. (Note that if you have two similar devices, then the ports that they are plugged into may affected the order they are detected in, and so the names).

You only have one serial device, so it will always be ttyUSB0.

Your wifi dongle is not a serial port adapter, so doesn't get a ttyUSB created for it.
Thank you very much...The Raspberry Pi books available around doesn't really explain everything.
This forum is a perfect place.

keyurthumar

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Thank you for the answer @rpdom.

How do I know that the name of the serial port adapter created for the device connected to nth number Port of USB HUB (Which is connected to Raspberry PI)

B.Goode

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:20 pm

keyurthumar wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 pm
Thank you for the answer @rpdom.

How do I know that the name of the serial port adapter created for the device connected to nth number Port of USB HUB (Which is connected to Raspberry PI)

More than 6 years on the advice from @rpdom still looks accurate.

The port-to-name association you are seeking does not exist.

Return to “Beginners”