vinodmenon80

Blank Screen after Noobs Installation

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi There,

How’s it going? I just got my Raspberry Pi board delivered a week ago. I had this ordered locally along with a clear case and a power adapter.

Eager to get started I bought a keyboard and mouse, SD memory card (16GB) and HDMI to VGA converter.

Reason being my monitor doesn’t have a HDMI slot. I have formatted and installed Noobs 1.3 on the card.

So I go ahead and connect the network cable and start up the board. Nothing appears on the screen until I press option 2.

Then I see the familiar OS options screen and install Raspbian as default.

Install goes smoothly till I see the install completed message.

When I reboot all I see is a black screen. Any ideas on what to do next? Appreciate some advise.

Thanks

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Blank Screen after Noobs Installation

Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:12 pm

vinodmenon80 wrote:Hi There,
How’s it going? I just got my Raspberry Pi board delivered a week ago. I had this ordered locally along with a clear case and a power adapter.
Eager to get started I bought a keyboard and mouse, SD memory card (16GB) and HDMI to VGA converter.
Reason being my monitor doesn’t have a HDMI slot. I have formatted and installed Noobs 1.3 on the card.
So I go ahead and connect the network cable and start up the board. Nothing appears on the screen until I press option 2.
Then I see the familiar OS options screen and install Raspbian as default.
Install goes smoothly till I see the install completed message.
When I reboot all I see is a black screen. Any ideas on what to do next? Appreciate some advise.
Thanks
From what you've posted above I suspect that your issue may be related to one that exists for composite video (see later). Although I've recently acquired a HDMI to VGA converter ( http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... erter.html ) myself I've not (yet) tested it with NOOBS 1.3.2 . It's possible that some of these devices need a NOOBS 1.3.2 installation to be performed with "HDMI safe mode" (video mode '2') made "permanent" to ensure that an installed O.S. uses a HDMI setting that is still compatible with the VGA monitor. (In the same way that composite video, modes '3' or '4', needs it to be done thus: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... ellow.html). Once everything is working in that (low resolution) mode then, using NOOBS built-in, recovery mode, editor, the O.S's "config.txt" may be edited to obtain a higher, VGA-compatible resolution. NB: you should be using NOOBS 1.3.2 (not 1.3).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

vinodmenon80

Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:43 am

Hi Trevor,

My Bad, what I meant to say was I did download the NOOBS 1.3.2 version from this site. Despite this after the install I did not see anything on the screen. I was under the assumption that the installer would complete and reboot right away.

I Used the offline and network install version on my SD card. How and when should I edit the config.txt file for the monitor to work properly? I checked out the article link you provided. Let me try once again and see how it goes.

I will keep you posted. :)

Thanks & Regards,
Vinod Shankar

vinodmenon80

Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:45 am

Hi Trevor,

I managed to get this fixed from my end. When I first powered up the pi I held the shift key down. Then I selected option 1.
The screen then flickered to life, so now I think I was using the wrong option. It should have been 1 NOT 2.

Well believe it or not I was able to make the following changes to my config file from recovery mode.

If you would like to know what HDMI to VGA+Audio adapter model I used, it was AHDMIAV-01 http://www.avf.com.my/avf.php?c=1&p=532

hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=16

I then saved it and voila its working perfectly now! Next up getting my wireless USB adapter to work!

Model: Prolink WN2001 Wireless N Nano USB adapter http://www.prolink2u.com/new/products/index.php?cid=289

Thank You for your time!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Vinod :)

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:51 am

To get WiFi running shutdown, plug in your dongle and reboot. There's no hotplugging support in the hardware.

Your dongle may just work (plus or minus needing a WiFi password for your network).

Easiest way to do the config for that is with the GUI. Less easy way is by editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/network/interfaces.

Search on here there's lots of threads.

If the dongle doesn't work post the output from lsusb.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Return to “Beginners”