joanbri34

lxpanel

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:03 am

I am unable to load the lxpanel (toolbar for pictures videos music) on my screen

hunternet93

Re: lxpanel

Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Please provide more information, what are you trying to do? LXPanel is the program that runs the bar at the bottom of the screen, managing the application menu in the bottom-left corner and the applets in the bottom-right corner.

joanbri34

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:09 am

I am trying to get to use the XBMC on the raspberry.
I am only a novice and just thought the video - music - picture aspect
would be interesting to do but when I setup the XMBC I was presented
with the desktop instead of the bar which as the videos music pictures
on it.
I guess all I really want for now is the media centre.

hunternet93

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:58 pm

If you just want the media center features, I'd recommend you download and install Raspbmc: [url]http://www.raspbmc.com/[url]. Raspbmc is a Linux distro with XBMC pre-installed and pre-configured, you should be up and running very quickly.

joanbri34

Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:28 am

Thanks for help. I am not real good at downloading and installing and I am not sure I need to do that.

I will go to start. I purchased the Raspberry Pi Model B pre-installed with Noobs (not sure what that is).
Anyway got that up and running. Then was at a bit of a loss what do next until I. read about Raspbmc which
I could use as a media player.
I then purchased a kit with all the needed bits and pieces including a4gig SD card loaded with Raspbmc.
all went well and it seemed to be booting up ok until a box came up on the screen (no mention of a box in the instructions) the box contained
several options and one of the options was go to desktop on booting this seemed ok to me so i ticked it.
this is where I am up to as I stated I want to see the bar from which which I can add video files and music.
Question is is there some way that I can do a fresh load from the SD card.

hunternet93

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:41 am

NOOBS is a tool for the Pi which makes installing various operating systems easy, you can use it to install RaspBMC which has all the media player features pre-installed. Here's a NOOBS tutorial.

joanbri34

Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks so much for your help.
I browsed the Noobs info downloaded file loaded it on to a Sda formatted 4gig card.
After inserting card it ran ok and I selected the Raspbmc system but could not obtain interface scrreen.
After several more futile goes I went and puchased a 16 gig 10 card - formatted card loaded Noobs - loaded
Raspbmc and after some time ended up with the correct interface selected english language inserted
usb with some downloaded movies and they played perfectly.

Just one more thing where do I get a list of commands which can be used in Raspberry Pi.

hunternet93

Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:07 pm

joanbri34 wrote:Just one more thing where do I get a list of commands which can be used in Raspberry Pi.
Well, there are a lot of them. You can start by reading a tutorial that introduces the concepts and the most-used commands, and shows you how to look up new ones: http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php.

Return to “Beginners”