Ed Raket

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Just to let you all know my problem is solved! Sindce i installed my own polyfuse mod (copperwire) the Pi would reset when connecting the adapter (powersurge du to hotplug). Becouse my mod alteration happend fairly at the same time as the kernel update, it had me confused there for a minute... ;)
Now i have replaced the copperwire with 1-Ohm resistors to prevent the surge, and everything works like a charm. Including MrEngman's brilliant script of course :mrgreen:
Thank you for all your efforts on this matter!

Cheers

MrEngman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Ed Raket wrote:Just to let you all know my problem is solved! Sindce i installed my own polyfuse mod (copperwire) the Pi would reset when connecting the adapter (powersurge du to hotplug). Becouse my mod alteration happend fairly at the same time as the kernel update, it had me confused there for a minute... ;)
Now i have replaced the copperwire with 1-Ohm resistors to prevent the surge, and everything works like a charm. Including MrEngman's brilliant script of course :mrgreen:
Thank you for all your efforts on this matter!

Cheers
Interesting. And the fuses on the production boards have been changed to zero ohm resistors. Hmm ;)

Anyway its really good to hear you're back up and the wifi's OK. Have fun.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

thsBavR10

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi, I need your help:
My EdimaxWLAN ins't working after doing apt-get update and updating firmware today.
I did apt-get update, now having Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #114 PREEMPT Tue Sep 4 00:15...
Firmware is now: Aug 25 2012 .. version 333348 (release) after rpi-update.
WLAN is not working anymore, i also tried to run

Code: Select all

sudo /boot/install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh
again
(downloading the latest version), see the following parts of output:

You have 1 wifi adapter configured.
wlan0 is configured but is not installed.
The kernel version you are now using has the RTL8188CUS driver built in so now there is no need to download and install a driver. ...
<plugin edimax>
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 7392:7811 Edimax ... EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

The wifi adapter has been detected and is compatible with the RTL8188CUS driver.
Scanning networks using wlan0
wlan0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
The scan for wifi networks failed to find any networks.
<infinite loop> -> ctrl+C

LED on edimax adapter doesn't flash.

should i have to go back one kernel realease, and how to do this?
<Sorry, I'm new to Pi and Rasbian>

thsBavR10

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:47 pm

addon to previous post: (Edimax WLAN not working)

I've forgotten to mention, that the WLAN adapter is being recognised in dmesg,
but no actions are taken. Thera are only the entries
usb 1-1.2: new high-speed ...
usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber:

Is there an easy way, to do the steps for installing manual?
Many thanks in advance for your help!
Thomas

Zaphod

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:21 pm

I too have just bought the EW 7811 adaptor and run your script and get the same issue. It says it has been detected., but when scanning networks usinf wlan0 interface doesn't support scanning. Yet I plug the same adaptor into a win 7 laptop and it works fine.

I aslo have the latest version/updates, though I only have just got my ew 7811 so don't know whether it would have worked b4! The blue light on the adaptor goes on for 1 sec when plugged in then nowt and I have a recommended powered USB hub and have tried direct or in hub.

rakeshpai

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:48 pm

MrEngman wrote: To fix your problem try the following commands

sudo rm /lib/modules/3.2.7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8192cu.ko
sudo depmod -a
sudo reboot
This will remove the old driver and should correctly re-register the new driver and hopefully it will then work.
Thanks again, MrEngman. My driver was at a slightly different location (/lib/modules/3.2.27+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8192cu/8192.ko), but once I rm'd it and re-ran your script, it just worked! Thanks!
[dom: This suggestion is no longer advised by author - don't remove this file!]
@thsBavR10 and @Zaphod: Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. The fix MrEngman mentioned above worked for me.

Zaphod

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Have done as MrEngman has suggested and I now get - 8192cu module not found on boot! and if I do a modprobe 8192cu it agrees. Now a curious thing is my EW7811 has made some attempt to be wlan1 not wlan0? So I did get as far as scan wlan1 and seeing some wifi's but not conencting b4 I tried the above. now neither wlan0 or 1 support scanning......

thsBavR10

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:11 pm

@rakeshpai:
thanks for your help. I found the file and deleted it. I did also depmod -a and reboot.
nothing changed.
Then tried sudo /boot/install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh with latest version.
But the script from MrEngman doesn't recognize the latest kernel i have installed after doing apt-get update. (#114?)
I think i have to downgrade or something like this, but don't know how.

scubbo

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello,

Sorry to be yet another clueless newbie clamouring for help, but I was recommended to come here after posting a new thread on this very problem.

On a clean install of 2012-08-16 Wheezy Raspbian, I carried out the following steps:
[*] Mount USB drive
[*] Copy install-rtl8188cus.sh and 8192cu-20120726.tar.gz to /boot
[*] Unmount USB drive
[*] Ran the following code:

sudo bash /boot/instll-rtl8188cus.sh
After "pressing any key to continue...", I was asked to plug in my wifi adapter, and press any key to continue. I did so. Terminal output:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

The wifi adapter has been detected and is compatible with the RTL8188CUS driver.
The script will now continue and install th driver and configure the wifi.

Scanning networks using wlan0
wlan0    Interface doesn't support scanning.

The scan for wifi networks failed to find any networks.

Press any key to continue...
Pressing any key causes the lines from "Scanning networks using wlan0" to be reprinted - I can only exit this loop by pressing Ctrl+C.

iwconfig states:

lo    no wireless extensions.
eth0    no wireless extnsions.
I've tried the advice posted earlier on this thread of deleting 8192cu.ko, running depmod -a and rebooting - this results in a lot of error messages during startup that fly past too quickly to read, but said something about "sbin/modprobe" and "permission denied". After re-running the script I get the same behaviour.

(I should add that, at no point does the adapter's blue light come on)

I'd appreciate any advice on how to troubleshoot this

MrEngman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:57 pm

thsBavR10 wrote:@rakeshpai:
thanks for your help. I found the file and deleted it. I did also depmod -a and reboot.
nothing changed.
Then tried sudo /boot/install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh with latest version.
But the script from MrEngman doesn't recognize the latest kernel i have installed after doing apt-get update. (#114?)
I think i have to downgrade or something like this, but don't know how.
If the script you have says it doesn't recognise #114 then it is not the latest script. It should then tell you to download a new version or if you have a wired internet connection it will automatically down load it.
If it then says it is the latest version check your home directory for copies of the script and if there are any delete them. Then run the script again.

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:03 pm

rakeshpai wrote:
MrEngman wrote: To fix your problem try the following commands

sudo rm /lib/modules/3.2.7+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8192cu.ko
sudo depmod -a
sudo reboot
This will remove the old driver and should correctly re-register the new driver and hopefully it will then work.
Thanks again, MrEngman. My driver was at a slightly different location (/lib/modules/3.2.27+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtl8192cu/8192.ko), but once I rm'd it and re-ran your script, it just worked! Thanks!

@thsBavR10 and @Zaphod: Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. The fix MrEngman mentioned above worked for me.
The driver version you deleted was NOT the one I suggested you delete. The one you deleted was the new version of the driver.

thsBavR10

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 pm

MrEngman wrote: The driver version you deleted was NOT the one I suggested you delete. The one you deleted was the new version of the driver.
Dear MrEngman,
Unforntunately i also deleted this file. (trying to find a solution..)
Do you have an idea, where i can get this file for #114 to reinstall it?

The other post regarding that your script isn't recognising #114 seems to be a follow-up to deleting this file ..
Thanks for your very fast help, and of course for your script!!

thsBavR10

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes! that's it, it's working.
Thank you very much!

MrEngman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:50 pm

thsBavR10 wrote:Yes! that's it, it's working.
Thank you very much!
Thank goodness for that. Thanks very much for the update.

MrEngman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:06 pm

scubbo wrote:Hello,

I've tried the advice posted earlier on this thread of deleting 8192cu.ko, running depmod -a and rebooting - this results in a lot of error messages during startup that fly past too quickly to read, but said something about "sbin/modprobe" and "permission denied". After re-running the script I get the same behaviour.

(I should add that, at no point does the adapter's blue light come on)

I'd appreciate any advice on how to troubleshoot this
Hope you deleted the right file and not the new one that others have. See last couple of posts.

sjfaustino

Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi.

I'm trying to install a Belkin N150 on XBian 0.7b1 but the script doesn't recognize the linux version:

Unrecognised software version: Linux XBian 3.2.27+ #2 PREEMPT Sun Sep 2 15:29:38 CEST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
You probably know this already, but you can check the dongles that are supposed to work with rtl8192cu at:
http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RTL8192CU.html

MrEngman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:25 pm

sjfaustino wrote:Hi.

I'm trying to install a Belkin N150 on XBian 0.7b1 but the script doesn't recognize the linux version:

Unrecognised software version: Linux XBian 3.2.27+ #2 PREEMPT Sun Sep 2 15:29:38 CEST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
You probably know this already, but you can check the dongles that are supposed to work with rtl8192cu at:
http://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/RTL8192CU.html
XBian has its own script accessed from Xbian Programs/addons doesn't it? Or it did the last time I looked at it in version 0.6.3. My main script will not work with XBian.

sjfaustino

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 pm

MrEngman wrote:My main script will not work with XBian.
My bad, I saw "New 3.2.27 linux kernel (thanks to MrEngman for making a new script to work with this kernel!)" on the changelog of XBian 0.6.3 and assumed that it was only one script for everything.

Dweeber

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:35 am

MrEngman,

I just did an update to:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #114 PREEMPT Tue Sep 4 00:15:33 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

and the current script worked great, nice and smooth.. A little different as it would have allowed me to edit the interfaces file with nano had I chosen to (didn't bother).

I intentionally did the update now after seeing others were successful and I wanted to get to the point where the new included driver was in the system.

Q: now that the driver that is included in the Raspbian releases, will this process continue to need to be done each time there is an update? Or now that the drivers is included, will the system be able to keep the settings it has across updates from now on assuming some new major change doesn't disrupt things.

I would think at the very least, having to recompile the driver for each update is now no longer needed which should make you life easier...

Good job BTW again... very grateful for the time and effort you have been putting in. Forum needs a thanks button system.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

MrEngman

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:57 am

Dweeber wrote:MrEngman,

I just did an update to:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #114 PREEMPT Tue Sep 4 00:15:33 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

and the current script worked great, nice and smooth.. A little different as it would have allowed me to edit the interfaces file with nano had I chosen to (didn't bother).

I intentionally did the update now after seeing others were successful and I wanted to get to the point where the new included driver was in the system.

Q: now that the driver that is included in the Raspbian releases, will this process continue to need to be done each time there is an update? Or now that the drivers is included, will the system be able to keep the settings it has across updates from now on assuming some new major change doesn't disrupt things.

I would think at the very least, having to recompile the driver for each update is now no longer needed which should make you life easier...

Good job BTW again... very grateful for the time and effort you have been putting in. Forum needs a thanks button system.
Thanks for the feedback. I expect you can retire your script now, maybe back it up somewhere just in case but I don't think you will need it again unless you decide to start with some other image.

With the driver now included you shouldn't need to worry about your wifi settings as they ought to be maintained across updates, unless of course there is a screw up somewhere. Not competely unknown I suppose.

Anyway thanks VERY much for your comments, really appreciated. Now, what else can I use my Pi for other than testing wifi setup scripts?

MrEngman

Dweeber

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:04 pm

MrEngman wrote:Anyway thanks VERY much for your comments, really appreciated. Now, what else can I use my Pi for other than testing wifi setup scripts?
Thanks for the info.

As for stuff to do with it, I have a second RPi arriving this week. I plan on doing some electronic projects.
  • Reset Switch - Adds a momentary switch to the case which a software script looks for it to be pressed and then does an action (like send a shutdown command to the OS for a clean shutdown without a connection).
  • Hook up sensors to make it into an Environmental Sensor (temp/Humidity/Water on the floor/Light Sensor) and is polled by a central server for status.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

pmonro

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:41 pm

:D
Hi Mr Engman
Thanks for your impressive contribution. I am using "wheezy"
I copied your "latest" script and the driver from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120726.tar.gz / to my SD card using explorer on XP and got it run up to the point where it could not find the 8192cu-20120726.tar.gz file.
But the file I got from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120726.tar.gz is a tar.tar file. Not a tar.gz file.
Is this my problem?
Thanks

MrEngman

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:01 pm

pmonro wrote::D
Hi Mr Engman
Thanks for your impressive contribution. I am using "wheezy"
I copied your "latest" script and the driver from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120726.tar.gz / to my SD card using explorer on XP and got it run up to the point where it could not find the 8192cu-20120726.tar.gz file.
But the file I got from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120726.tar.gz is a tar.tar file. Not a tar.gz file.
Is this my problem?
Thanks
I've see this myself. A Windows funny I guess. Downloading with Windows 7 and it asks if I want to download 8192cu-20120726.tar.tar so I select "save as" instead of "save" and change the file name to 8192cu-20120726.tar.gz. Just rename the file.

As you already have the file on your SD card you can rename it in linux with the mv, "move/rename", command e.g.

sudo mv /boot/8192cu-20120726.tar.tar /boot/8192cu-20120726.tar.gz

Return to “Beginners”