kohr

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 am

I was able to get my pi to accept my usb wifi dongle by using this script, all is working fine. However, I can't get my it to connect to my WIFI unless I turn SSID broadcasting ON. Normally I keep it off, as I don't like to broadcast my connection. Can someone tell me how to fix this?

MrEngman

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:43 am

kohr wrote:I was able to get my pi to accept my usb wifi dongle by using this script, all is working fine. However, I can't get my it to connect to my WIFI unless I turn SSID broadcasting ON. Normally I keep it off, as I don't like to broadcast my connection. Can someone tell me how to fix this?
I think you may need to use some sort of network manager. There's a load of stuff on the internet, mostly from people having the same problem you have, but I didn't see any definitive solution.

I did find this though https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... tywireless so whether it's a useful thing to hide the ssid is another matter.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

swizzard

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:04 pm

SUCCESS!
I had to scroll down to the end of the instructions (at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/install-rtl8188cus.txt) and find the specific one listed for my kernel, but that's to be expected. Sorry I was such an idiot about all this. Knowledge is power, etc., etc.

Thanks!

MrEngman

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:23 pm

swizzard wrote:SUCCESS!
I had to scroll down to the end of the instructions (at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/install-rtl8188cus.txt) and find the specific one listed for my kernel, but that's to be expected. Sorry I was such an idiot about all this. Knowledge is power, etc., etc.

Thanks!
I'm really glad to hear you've finally got it working. Have fun.

A tip for the future. If you run the script and a file it needs is not available, i.e. the Pi has no internet connection and the file has not already been copied to the SD card, it should tell you what file it wants..

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Dweeber

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:03 pm

kohr wrote:... However, I can't get my it to connect to my WIFI unless I turn SSID broadcasting ON. Normally I keep it off, as I don't like to broadcast my connection. Can someone tell me how to fix this?
The fix is to stop hiding your SSID since that is not real security at all. Not only are you not really hidden, but you are easily discovered.

IF you are concerned about security...

o Use a secure WiFi protocol (WPA/WPA2 and avoid WEP)
o Use a strong password (15 chars +)
o MAC Address Filtering <-------
o Having a hidden SSID isn't secure, Makes your devices shout out your "hidden" SSID looking for it.

There is software you can download for free which will find your hidden SSID in a few seconds. Not worth the effort and certainly not offering you any security.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

mattura

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Having no success so far with Berryboot, I decided to check my wireless usb dongle (a TRENDnet TEW648UBM) with the standard Debian build.

I ran a fresh install of 2012-08-16-Wheezy, which comes out as kernel version:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #66 PREEMPT Fri Aug 24 23:52:42 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Updated everything, then ran the script (a couple of times, just to check).

I powered off and unplugged the eth0 cable, then booted it up and it all worked swimmingly!

One thing worth mentioning is that I was using Putty to SSH into the pi, and I initially forgot that of course the wlan0 has a different IP address to the eth0 settings I had conveniently saved in Putty! This is of course editable in /etc/network/interfaces

I am still looking into how to work with Berryboot or some kind of dual boot system, but for now at least I know that it is possible to make wireless work! Thanks MrEngman

morticiaskeeper

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Followed the instructions exactly, used a new raspbian image, tried it connected to the family tv, but had a few problems with different powered USB hubs.

Switched to running the dongle directly into the Rpi, used SSH (stops family arguments) but using the sudo bash command. The script runs until it gets to the line:

Code: Select all

/boot/install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh: line 1096: 2156 Terminated       ifup --force wlan$ADAPTOR_NUMBER > dev/null 2>&1
CTRL-C out of it and run the script again. This time choosing an update. Same result.

On another fresh image, two attempts at running the script got it working, giving me an IP address, which I could ping from another pc. However, on reboot, it failed to work.

Getting there slowly, off to make another couple of image cards.

komw

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Currently script doesn't work.
New installation of rasbian with all upgrades (apt-get update, upgrade, rpi-update etc) and i receive:

Unrecognised software version: Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #84 PREEMPT Tue Aug 28 18:11:56 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Downloading the latest script.

The script you're using is the latest version.

Aborting the rtl8188cus installation script.

Dweeber

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:28 am

Should be an update soon.... MrEngman is pretty good at keeping on top of these.

The last update in the script was for:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #66 PREEMPT Fri Aug 24 23:52:42 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

It is possible that http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120819.tar.gz which is the driver used for the above kernel might also work for the new one, but you would have to add the kernel version to the install script manually to try it.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

MrEngman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:50 am

Dweeber wrote:Should be an update soon.... MrEngman is pretty good at keeping on top of these.

The last update in the script was for:

It is possible that http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120819.tar.gz which is the driver used for the above kernel might also work for the new one, but you would have to add the kernel version to the install script manually to try it.
Bit slow on the uptake this time around but the script has now been updated. The latest driver, for #66 and #84, is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120825.tar.gz

MrEngman

simplesi

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am

@MrEngman -Thanks for all you efforts :)
Are you wishing you hadn't started now :)
Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

MrEngman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:45 am

simplesi wrote:@MrEngman -Thanks for all you efforts :)
Are you wishing you hadn't started now :)
Simon
Did you read the first couple of lines of the instructions? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/install-rtl8188cus.txt

Although I'm not sure this was what I expected. :D

MrEngman

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:53 am

morticiaskeeper wrote:Followed the instructions exactly, used a new raspbian image, tried it connected to the family tv, but had a few problems with different powered USB hubs.

Switched to running the dongle directly into the Rpi, used SSH (stops family arguments) but using the sudo bash command. The script runs until it gets to the line:

/boot/install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh: line 1096: 2156 Terminated       ifup --force wlan$ADAPTOR_NUMBER > dev/null 2>&1
CTRL-C out of it and run the script again. This time choosing an update. Same result.

On another fresh image, two attempts at running the script got it working, giving me an IP address, which I could ping from another pc. However, on reboot, it failed to work.

Getting there slowly, off to make another couple of image cards.
First time round your problem could have been with the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules discussed a while back in this thread.

One thing to watch out for. The script may ask you to re-run again after rebooting. This is especially the case if the image changes kernel version from 3.1.9+ to 3.2.27+ which will happen when rpi-update is run with most current versions.

One way round this is to run rpi-update before running the script. And another thing. Do not plug in the wifi adapter before running the script for the first time. It will tell you when to plug it in.

pjc123

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:30 am

kohr wrote:I was able to get my pi to accept my usb wifi dongle by using this script, all is working fine. However, I can't get my it to connect to my WIFI unless I turn SSID broadcasting ON. Normally I keep it off, as I don't like to broadcast my connection. Can someone tell me how to fix this?
Yes, I was able to get this working by using a wpa_supplicant file and some experimentation. You really need to read the documentation because it gives you multiple ways (settings) to try and achieve this depending on the hardware that you have.

The first key thing that I had to do in the wpa_supplicant.conf file was to add ap_scan=2 to the global section of the file. The second key thing was to specifically set certain other settings recommended when using hidden SSID's (As I recall there were four of them) so they matched my router exactly; and also setting one and only parameter to these settings, ie. not setting multiple parameters and having wpa_supplicant try and figure out what the router has.

Here is the location of the documentation (on Wheezy) that explains the details. There are several files that you need to read.:

/usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:
https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

mm0dun

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:33 pm

I have attempted without success to get my Edimax EW-7811Un to install.

lsusb gives the info: Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wirless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

CPU: armv61

I have tried numerous options and it now tells me when I run the install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh that an RTL8188CUS driver module is installed but is not loaded. I have 1 wifi adapter configured. wlan0 is configured but is not installed.

It then goes on to tell me unrecognised software version: Linux raspberrypi 3.2.23-rpi1+ #3

I am assuming that it is the "Linux raspberrypi 3.2.23-rpi1+ #32 that it is the problem.

Give me Windows or Netware anyday.....Linux I am stumped on as it is a steep learning curve.

Can anyone provide further guidance?

Martin

therulerofchina

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:49 pm

I believe that i have messed something up.

If your wifi adapter is NOT already plugged in please plug it in now.
The wifi adapter should start automatically. Just wait a while for the wifi
adapter LED to start flashing then press any key to continue.

If your wifi adapter is already plugged in and the LED doesn't start flashing
automatically please unplug the wifi adapter and then plug it back in.

Wait for the LED to start flashing then press any key to continue...

You now have 1 wifi adapter configured

The wifi adapter driver is installed. Waiting for the wifi adapter to connect.
it just hangs at this point doing nothing (as far as i can tell)
please could somebody give me some advice on how to fix this?

here's some helpful information that will almost definetly show that i messed up big time here:
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0846:9030 NetGear, Inc. WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
rpi model B
runs raspbian image.
ifconfig shows wlan0

amyren

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:32 pm

I have just sucsessfully installed my wifi adaptor on 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian using your instructions :)
My adaptor is a cheap one (EDUP 802.11n from dealextreme)
I had to do an offline install, and your script was working fine. Its currently installing the updates as I write.

One thing in the instructions though, I didnt find the image 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian listed at the end with the drivers link. However, the script prompted me anyway that the file 8192cu-20120726.tar.gz was missing, so I downloaded it to an USB stick and copied it to /boot.
I had to use a root terminal to get access to copy the driver, perhaps you will include that information in your instructions as well since you have explained the other stuff so thorough.

One thing I'd like to ask, is there a way to change the SSID later on, or do I have to resinstall the image and do it all over again if I want to connect to a different network?

Boezelman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Just want to thank you for your work!

I bought a ICIDU Nano USB , installed your drivers and I was done...! :o

MrEngman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 pm

therulerofchina wrote:I believe that i have messed something up.

If your wifi adapter is NOT already plugged in please plug it in now.
The wifi adapter should start automatically. Just wait a while for the wifi
adapter LED to start flashing then press any key to continue.

If your wifi adapter is already plugged in and the LED doesn't start flashing
automatically please unplug the wifi adapter and then plug it back in.

Wait for the LED to start flashing then press any key to continue...

You now have 1 wifi adapter configured

The wifi adapter driver is installed. Waiting for the wifi adapter to connect.
it just hangs at this point doing nothing (as far as i can tell)
please could somebody give me some advice on how to fix this?

here's some helpful information that will almost definetly show that i messed up big time here:
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0846:9030 NetGear, Inc. WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
rpi model B
runs raspbian image.
ifconfig shows wlan0
This is the first line displayed by the script "This script will install the driver for Realtek RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters"

From what I see your wifi adapter is based on the Atheros AR9271 chip.

I don't think you will have done any major damage. The script will have set up the /etc/network/interfaces file regardless of the chip type. You will have a rtl8188cus driver loaded but this shouldn't cause problems.

File /etc/modules will have a line "8192cu" that ought to be removed. Otherwise the module will be loaded even if not needed.

You just need to look for info on installing the Atheros AR9271 driver, unless it's already part of the image..

MrEngman

MrEngman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:08 pm

amyren wrote:I have just sucsessfully installed my wifi adaptor on 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian using your instructions :)
I had to do an offline install, and your script was working fine. Its currently installing the updates as I write.

One thing in the instructions though, I didnt find the image 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian listed at the end with the drivers link. However, the script prompted me anyway that the file 8192cu-20120726.tar.gz was missing, so I downloaded it to an USB stick and copied it to /boot.
I had to use a root terminal to get access to copy the driver, perhaps you will include that information in your instructions as well since you have explained the other stuff so thorough.

One thing I'd like to ask, is there a way to change the SSID later on, or do I have to resinstall the image and do it all over again if I want to connect to a different network?
Thanks for the update. Note taken on the driver info and other pointers, very helpful. :D

The basic setup is in the file /etc/network/interfaces. You can edit the settings to connect to different networks but there are other ways to do this without needing to edit files.

If you're looking to move the Pi around and connect to various different networks then you probably need to use wpa_supplicant, or a network manager program. It something I'm not to familiar with but there's documentation included in the images about wpa_supplicant. try "man wpa_supplicant" and "man wpa_supplicant.conf". This will allow you to set up for connecting to different networks as you move about without having to edit the ssid in /etc/network/interfaces.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:26 pm

mm0dun wrote:I have attempted without success to get my Edimax EW-7811Un to install.

lsusb gives the info: Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wirless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

CPU: armv61

I have tried numerous options and it now tells me when I run the install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh that an RTL8188CUS driver module is installed but is not loaded. I have 1 wifi adapter configured. wlan0 is configured but is not installed.

It then goes on to tell me unrecognised software version: Linux raspberrypi 3.2.23-rpi1+ #3

I am assuming that it is the "Linux raspberrypi 3.2.23-rpi1+ #32 that it is the problem.

Give me Windows or Netware anyday.....Linux I am stumped on as it is a steep learning curve.

Can anyone provide further guidance?

Martin
What is the output of command "uname -a". And what is the image you are using. Not seen that one before. Where can I download it from?

grandadtom

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:44 pm

I have installed the driver for the Edimax EW-7811Un wireless adapter using the script:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/instal ... -latest.sh
I also upgraded the installed software packages using same script.
Fine, I can now connect to internet.
HOWEVER, before I ran the script, I could enter startx - and it brought up GUI - no problem.
But now, when I enter startx, I get error message xauth: (stdin):2: unknown command.
The GUI will not start
However, if I enter sudo startx, I am in GUI as super user. WHY?
As a newcomer, I do not want to always be a super user in case I mess up the system.
Can anyone help?

MrEngman

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:04 pm

grandadtom wrote:I have installed the driver for the Edimax EW-7811Un wireless adapter using the script:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/instal ... -latest.sh
I also upgraded the installed software packages using same script.
Fine, I can now connect to internet.
HOWEVER, before I ran the script, I could enter startx - and it brought up GUI - no problem.
But now, when I enter startx, I get error message xauth: (stdin):2: unknown command.
The GUI will not start
However, if I enter sudo startx, I am in GUI as super user. WHY?
As a newcomer, I do not want to always be a super user in case I mess up the system.
Can anyone help?
Not seen/heard of this one before. Sounds like some file privileges have changed. Certainly nothing in the script that does that. What image are you using?

A quick search on the internet showed plenty of people with this type of error. The most commonly suggested fix appears to be deleting the .Xauthority file(s) in your home folder. e.g. sudo rm .Xauthority*

amyren

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:14 pm

MrEngman wrote:
amyren wrote:I have just sucsessfully installed my wifi adaptor on 2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian using your instructions :)

Thanks for the update. Note taken on the driver info and other pointers, very helpful. :D

The basic setup is in the file /etc/network/interfaces. You can edit the settings to connect to different networks but there are other ways to do this without needing to edit files.

If you're looking to move the Pi around and connect to various different networks then you probably need to use wpa_supplicant, or a network manager program. It something I'm not to familiar with but there's documentation included in the images about wpa_supplicant. try "man wpa_supplicant" and "man wpa_supplicant.conf". This will allow you to set up for connecting to different networks as you move about without having to edit the ssid in /etc/network/interfaces.

MrEngman
Thanks for the reply. I did take a short look at the wpa_supplicant, and it looks like its possible like you said. But I'm not to sure about how to set that up to work properly.
The option to just edit the interfaces file looked easy enaugh for me, I'm not going to move the Pi around so often anyway.

MotoBlue

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Little whoopsy happened to me again tonight - this is the second time this has happened.

After running rpi-update tonight, the wifi wasn't working so I ran the script sat in my /boot directory with the result - I am running the latest script, unknown kernel & script aborted.
I then found the install script renamed with .1 added and a new downloaded script with the name ending .2
I renamed the latest script which when executed, updated my wireless config without issue.

Return to “Beginners”