jimaz

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

morey8: No need to reimage the card. I ran it on my existing install with no problems. Do not unzip/untar the files, just drop them in the /boot partition. Also, if you screw up by entering the wrong wifi password for instance, it is quite easy to rerun without starting over from scratch. Just copy the files over again and then edit a file to remove some newly added lines (look at the script and you'll see which files are modified).

Jim

japester36

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:58 am

Just to report that I got a generic unbranded wifi dongle working well on a powered hub. Not enough juice to run it on the Pi though but that could be my Blackberry PSU.

I picked it up from eBay and it has the RTL8188CUS chipset and comes with a Realtek CD. Getting 'n' speeds straight away through my Draytek Vigor2020n router.

If it helps I got this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270763810080#ht_2578wt_989.

Thank you MrEngman, I wouldn't have had a clue otherwise.

Pi now sat upstairs somewhere in my wifi bubble, out of the way until the case arrives. SSH and VNC give me all the access needed for now.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:25 pm

MrEngman wrote:
texy wrote:Many thanks again Engman - it is all now working :D

....now to get the hostname working properly, cos my router thinks its UNKNOWN.

Texy
When you ran the script to install the wifi did the dhcp update get installed or did the script stop before that. Without it I couldn't use hostnames to talk to the Pi and had to use IP addresses. To manually run the dhcp update the commands are:

Code: Select all

wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/isc-dhcp/isc-dhcp-common_4.2.2.dfsg.1-5_armel.deb
wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/isc-dhcp/isc-dhcp-client_4.2.2.dfsg.1-5_armel.deb
sudo dpkg -i isc-dhcp-common_4.2.2.dfsg.1-5_armel.deb
sudo dpkg -i isc-dhcp-client_4.2.2.dfsg.1-5_armel.deb
Not only does the rpi-update brick my SD card, but I'm pretty sure that the above update makes my wifi adapter so unreliable that it's unusable. If I go back to Debian190412 image and use just the instructions on the first post to get my wifi adapter installed then it is very stable. I wonder if anyone else has found the same?
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

iwant5please

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:42 pm

MrEngman please upload the new updated script to dropbox!! I am very anxious to test it out!!! Thank you for your awesome work!

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:59 pm

texy wrote: Not only does the rpi-update brick my SD card, but I'm pretty sure that the above update makes my wifi adapter so unreliable that it's unusable. If I go back to Debian190412 image and use just the instructions on the first post to get my wifi adapter installed then it is very stable. I wonder if anyone else has found the same?
Texy
I ran rpi-update a week or so ago when I was working on getting get_iplayer fully up and running. A little later I tried the Edimax wifi dongle and it no longer worked. The whole thing is a work in progress though, so the next update might fix it. Who knows? I use ethernet most of the time, so it doesn't hinder me, but rather annoying if you have to use older firmware to get things working properly. :( I guess it'll all be worked out with time. We're the people finding the problems after all, it's a dev release.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

MrEngman

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:14 pm

texy wrote:Not only does the rpi-update brick my SD card, but I'm pretty sure that the above update makes my wifi adapter so unreliable that it's unusable. If I go back to Debian190412 image and use just the instructions on the first post to get my wifi adapter installed then it is very stable. I wonder if anyone else has found the same?
Texy
Hi Texy,

rpi-update kills pretty much everybodies rtl8188cus wifi using the older 8192cu.ko driver, but I now have a fix. Well it works for me with the following software revision.

Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #101 PREEMPT Mon Jun 4 17:19:44 BST 2012 armv61 GNU/Linux
When you do a setup from scratch with Debian 190412 are you using the script then - because that loads the DHCP update you say you're having problems with unless of course you've edited that bit out? I've not seen anyone else mention any problems with it. As it's automatically loaded with the script I would assume a fair number of people are using it.

Updated driver to fix rpi-update issues.

There is also a newly updated installation script - instructions are here - with all the details of any other files needed that will install the wifi and all updates from rpi-update and apt-get etc. and includes installing the new driver that fixes the rpi-update problems on the code version above. Allows installation with wired internet connection if you have one to save having to download and copy too many files to the SD card - now you only need the script and everything else needed is downloaded if you have a wired connection. If you don't have a wired connection then the driver files need copying to the SD card as before.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I've made a major update to my installation script for the RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters. It is now possible to install via the wired ethernet or by copying files to the SD card root if you have no wired ethernet available. There is also a new driver file to take care of the issues using rpi-update killing the original driver. The new driver is installed once the RPi software and firmware have been been installed and is downloaded by the script, so no need to download the new driver before installing, unless you want to update an SD card manually that has been previous loaded.

Instructions are here and should be read first. Information about other files needed is detailed in the instructions. The new script is here.

The new driver is available here. If you have an installed SD card with broken wifi due to an rpi-update then manually installing the new driver may fix it, depending on the version of code on the card.

I am currently running with code version:

Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #101 PREEMPT Mon Jun 4 17:19:44 BT 2012 armv61 GNU/Linux
Have fun.

MrEngman

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Nburnes

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 pm

The driver download link in your installation instructions tell to download the older ones, just a heads up. Otherwise, thanks so much man. :D

Edit: Nvm forgot to read fully o.o
Last edited by Nburnes on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:22 pm

MrEngman wrote:There is also a newly updated installation script - ...
Allows installation with wired internet connection if you have one to save having to download and copy too many files to the SD card
Excellent - thanks. Taking it for a spin right now. 36 package updates though, so it's taking a little while before it gets to the rpi-update.

Great stuff - that worked a treat. Well done and thanks :)

Reider

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Many thanks for your ongoing work with this. I read this forum thread and from it evaluated which WiFi adapter would be best for me. I then purchased one and awaited its delivery. Initially I had problems, my fault, not realizing two things (meds that affect the brain and short term memory/thoughts don`t help either). One was the older installation where 3 files are placed in the root folder and the other was my extracting 2 of the files when I should not have done. But anyway, I got the Edimax 7800UN and thanks to you and this thread it works perfectly, speed is pretty darned good too.

This thread and my purchase of the Edimax came up in conversation in the RPi IRC channel and some people were so impressed about 3-4 of them started pricing the adapter up and noted this thread link. Once again thank you, I`ve gone from being easily able to do most computer stuff to struggling and getting there, albeit slower than before, since a failed spine op and consequent meds, this made life a lot more bearable for me.

Steve

MrEngman

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:46 pm

alexeames wrote:
MrEngman wrote:There is also a newly updated installation script - ...
Allows installation with wired internet connection if you have one to save having to download and copy too many files to the SD card
Excellent - thanks. Taking it for a spin right now. 36 package updates though, so it's taking a little while before it gets to the rpi-update.

Great stuff - that worked a treat. Well done and thanks :)
Only 36? I've been seeing 42 - and over and over and over again while testing. :o

iwant5please

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:05 am

Hey!

I have one little question.... After installing everything, when I go to the /etc/network/interfaces file I have the following information...

# Used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8). See the interfaces(5) manpage or
# /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples for more information.

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0

auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "My SSID"
wpa-psk "My Password"

My question is: If I want to add another wireless connection (my school wireless connection) so my raspberry pi automatically connects to it when I take it to school, what would I have to add to this file in order to make it work? Thank you very much for this script!

MrEngman

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:02 am

iwant5please wrote:My question is: If I want to add another wireless connection (my school wireless connection) so my raspberry pi automatically connects to it when I take it to school, what would I have to add to this file in order to make it work? Thank you very much for this script!
I think you may need to look at using wpa-supplicant although I'm not sure. I believe that program handles automatically connecting to different networks. You would need to set up a configuration file in wpa-supplicant and then change /etc/network/interfaces so the "wpa..." items point to items within the wpa-supplicant configuration.

I have no experience using wpa-supplicant so the above is rather speculative but I thing it is the direction you need to look in.

Sorry I can't be of more help. wpa-supplicant is something I've wanted to look for some time as for one thing it allows network passwords to be encrypted unlike in /etc/network/interfaces where they are plain text, but I've been rather tied up with scripts and learning how to compile code and drivers recently. :)

I think there are a number of posts about using wpa-supplicant in the forums which may help.

collywobbles

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:22 am

New version worked a treat and repaired my broken install.

Brilliant! Many thanks!

(For information, I used a TRENDnet 150Mbps Micro Wireless N USB Adapter which cost about £10 from Amazon UK.)

Duncan_Rowland

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 am

Hi, I have tried the script (on a fresh install) but there seems to be a problem...
Setting up firmware (this will take a few minutes)
Using SoftFP libraries
/opt/vc/sbin/vcfiled: error while loading shared libraries: libvchiq_arm.so: cannot open shared object: No such file or directory
If no errors appeared, your firmware was sucessfully setup
- Which I guess means it wasn't
And so when I boot, in dmesg is says
8192cu: disagrees about version of symbol module layout
I'm guessing the firmware problem is stopping the driver loading... any clues?
Thanks,
-Duncan.

itimpi

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:31 am

No - that error message seems to be standard the first time rpi-update is run and it has probably worked OK. You can easily check by running it again and this time it will almost certainly say everything is up-to-date.

Your problem is that after doing the update you also need an updated version of the driver that has been compiled for thie new kernel and it is not installed by rpi-update. There is another thread which gies a donwload link for the updated driver, but unfortunately I do not have it to hand at the moment.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:43 am

itimpi wrote:There is another thread which gies a donwload link for the updated driver, but unfortunately I do not have it to hand at the moment.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 284#p95284

It's actually in this thread, on this page (at least on my computer). Scroll up to 8th June. :lol:

Duncan_Rowland

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:50 am

alexeames wrote:
itimpi wrote:There is another thread which gies a donwload link for the updated driver, but unfortunately I do not have it to hand at the moment.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 284#p95284

It's actually in this thread, on this page (at least on my computer). Scroll up to 8th June. :lol:
Thanks very much :)

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 pm

I have a feeling its broken again. I had so much trouble over the weekend that I pulled the dongle and went hardwired. As I said in my above post, using an unaltered Debian19042012 image and MrEngmans original (but no rpi-update'd) script was probably the most stable its been for me. Unfortunately things are moving too quickly. Now I see a new kernal.img to make SD cards work much faster, or rather, the speed at which they are designed to work. I,ll be playing with that as a priority over wifi for now.

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):

MrEngman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:29 pm

texy wrote:I have a feeling its broken again. I had so much trouble over the weekend that I pulled the dongle and went hardwired. As I said in my above post, using an unaltered Debian19042012 image and MrEngmans original (but no rpi-update'd) script was probably the most stable its been for me. Unfortunately things are moving too quickly. Now I see a new kernal.img to make SD cards work much faster, or rather, the speed at which they are designed to work. I,ll be playing with that as a priority over wifi for now.

Texy
The latest rpi-update has broken the wifi again. I'm trying to get a new compiled driver working but its proving a problem this time.

After recompiling the driver and installing it I'm getting the message

8192cu: no symbol version for module_layout
Any idea what causes this?

matthew5384

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:41 pm

I am using a fresh Debian install. I run the script and everything seems to work successfully all of the files successfully downloaded, but when booting I get a bunch of errors like "no such device" and "wpa-supplicant daemon failed to start" and "failed to setup wlan0", however they scroll too fast in order to read a lot of them.

After boot I run lsusb and can confirm that the drivers are correctly installed because Isusb prints "Bus 001 Device:004... Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n wireless adapter"

I have tried running the script multiple times on fresh installs each time, same result.

Anyone else having problems? Suggestions?

It's so hard to determine which script is the absolute latest because there's a bunch of different links floating around. Should I be allowing rpi-update to run? Maybe it would be best to post a link on the wiki and just update that page rather than posting in the forum so that google searches and other threads don't lead me to old script versions and outdated information.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:42 pm

MrEngman wrote:The latest rpi-update has broken the wifi again. I'm trying to get a new compiled driver working but its proving a problem this time.
How frustrating. :x I guess it's not always worth having the bleeding edge updates.
What about having a stable version of the script that doesn't use rpi-update? (Not instead - as well as).
I guess we could just comment out the appropriate lines ourselves (now I think about it). :lol:

MrEngman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:07 pm

alexeames wrote:
MrEngman wrote:The latest rpi-update has broken the wifi again. I'm trying to get a new compiled driver working but its proving a problem this time.
How frustrating. :x I guess it's not always worth having the bleeding edge updates.
What about having a stable version of the script that doesn't use rpi-update? (Not instead - as well as).
I guess we could just comment out the appropriate lines ourselves (now I think about it). :lol:
Extremely frustrating grrrrrrr!!! :cry:

I wasn't very interested in being upto date but was testing something else and ran rpi-update without thinking really. Seems like there was a new update yesterday evening and firmware and code got updated.

I need to rethink the script as the way it now works the wifi may not function.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:08 pm

matthew5384 wrote:I am using a fresh Debian install. I run the script and everything seems to work successfully all of the files successfully downloaded, but when booting I get a bunch of errors like "no such device" and "wpa-supplicant daemon failed to start" and "failed to setup wlan0", however they scroll too fast in order to read a lot of them.

After boot I run lsusb and can confirm that the drivers are correctly installed because Isusb prints "Bus 001 Device:004... Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n wireless adapter"

I have tried running the script multiple times on fresh installs each time, same result.

Anyone else having problems? Suggestions?

It's so hard to determine which script is the absolute latest because there's a bunch of different links floating around. Should I be allowing rpi-update to run? Maybe it would be best to post a link on the wiki and just update that page rather than posting in the forum so that google searches and other threads don't lead me to old script versions and outdated information.
Not only do you need a fresh Debian install, but you also need Mr Engman's original script.
Mr Engman - is your 2nd script still available, the one that took out the rpi-update, in your post here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =50#p88200

??

Texy

matthew5384

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:09 pm

I am using what I think is the latest version of the script that does not invoke rpi-update. I'm using the same Edimax as everyone else. Here's what happens...

Do you want to allow your wifi adapter to be hot pluggable? (Y/N) y
Now plug in the wifi adapter.

If you have enabled hot-plugging the wifi should start automatically. If you have
not enabled hot-plugging the wifi adapter will start after continuing the script.

Plug in the wifi adapter if you haven't already and press any key to continue...
I plug it in and wait 10 seconds or so for it to initialize, then I press a key to continue.

wlan0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
Not sure what's going on here.

Return to “Beginners”