GabeM

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:59 pm

MrEngman wrote:I've seen another post with a similar error. I can't think of anything definite but it could be due to a power supply issue. The crash you are getting is happening just as the wifi adapter turns on and starts to take power. What power supply do you use? Have you tried plugging the wifi adapter into a hub?

There has been a lot of discussions regarding power supplies and wifi adapters plugged directly into the USB ports on the Pi. Insufficient power can cause some really bad problems like the one you're getting.
Adding to this, I was setting my Edimax adapter up yesterday and was also getting system hangs just as the IP address was being resolved. It was most definitely a power issue.

If I booted my Pi and then plugged in the wi-fi adapter at the login screen, it worked perfectly. Having it plugged in at boot would crash everytime. I'm using a Kindle Fire charger btw.

MrEngman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Michi wrote:I wanna use the script with Raspbmc but i think the script don't know the operating system and abort the install:
Unrecognised software version: Linux raspbmc 3.1.9-test-12-06 #1 PREEMPT Mon Jun 18 20:07:45 UTC 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Downloading the latest script.

The script you're using is the latest version.

Aborting the rtl8188cus installation script.
What do i need to change in the script to get it working?

Greetings,
Michael
Hmm. Haven't tried that image. Where can I find it? I will need to check which version of driver it needs before making any modifications.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

MrEngman

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:34 pm

GabeM wrote:
MrEngman wrote:I've seen another post with a similar error. I can't think of anything definite but it could be due to a power supply issue. The crash you are getting is happening just as the wifi adapter turns on and starts to take power. What power supply do you use? Have you tried plugging the wifi adapter into a hub?

There has been a lot of discussions regarding power supplies and wifi adapters plugged directly into the USB ports on the Pi. Insufficient power can cause some really bad problems like the one you're getting.
Adding to this, I was setting my Edimax adapter up yesterday and was also getting system hangs just as the IP address was being resolved. It was most definitely a power issue.

If I booted my Pi and then plugged in the wi-fi adapter at the login screen, it worked perfectly. Having it plugged in at boot would crash everytime. I'm using a Kindle Fire charger btw.
Thanks for this insite into your power issues. You say you're using a Kindle Fire charger - I think probably charger says it all. A charger is much less likely to maintain a constant voltage output especially when under load.

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

GabeM

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:39 pm

MrEngman wrote:Thanks for this insite into your power issues. You say you're using a Kindle Fire charger - I think probably charger says it all. A charger is much less likely to maintain a constant voltage output especially when under load.
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to make do with what I had, but I'm more than likely going to break down and buy a powered USB hub.

Oh, and I didn't mention this before, but THANK YOU for your easy to use script. It worked flawlessly. :D

Reider

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 am

A big thanks to MrEngman for continuing to support both the forum and the use of the WiFi adaptors. I tried the last Wheezy drivers and got nowhere, though some people said it worked in Raspbian. I tried MrEngmans` latest script and the Edimax 7811Un adaptor flashed then turned off. I thought oh no here we go again! Rebooted and its worked perfectly ever since..... Thanks again.

Steve

Michi

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:02 am

MrEngman wrote:
Michi wrote:I wanna use the script with Raspbmc but i think the script don't know the operating system and abort the install:
Unrecognised software version: Linux raspbmc 3.1.9-test-12-06 #1 PREEMPT Mon Jun 18 20:07:45 UTC 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Downloading the latest script.

The script you're using is the latest version.

Aborting the rtl8188cus installation script.

Greetings,
Michael
Hmm. Haven't tried that image. Where can I find it? I will need to check which version of driver it needs before making any modifications.
Hi there,
you can find Raspbmc on this homepage: http://www.raspbmc.com/

Great work with the installation script :-)

Greetings from germany,
Michael

Clifford

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:10 am

I've been working with the Wheezy Beta for a while using a EW-7811Un configured with MrEngman's script.

I created a new 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian card then with a wired connection did:

Code: Select all

sudo wget -O /boot/install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh
sudo /boot/install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh
The script hung while "connecting to the network". Rebooting or restarting with

Code: Select all

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
indicated that it was failing to get a DHCP response. I tried it several ways, by copying the script and driver to /boot and doing without the wired connection, and both over SSH and directly connected. The WiFi continues to work with the Beta image.

The latest script is much more sophisticated and flexible than the original, and it will be great - just as soon as I can get it to work! ;-).

MrEngman

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi Clifford,

I've just tried installing my EW-7811Un again on a new image and it worked fine. When asked to plug in the wifi the LED started flashing, pressed a key to continue and after a few seconds the output of ifconfig was displayed showing the wifi connection details.

Before loading the script what did you do when the setup gui ran? I just set it to resize the image and set the memory split to 192/64MIB and then finished and rebooted. Then I ran the commands you showed and the wifi started up OK.

MrEngman

arg1

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:39 pm

Mr Engman's latest script (June 19) worked fine for me - many thanks!! As his script suggests when it finishes it's not a good idea to run rpi-update though - it all stopped working again after that. So it seems we can have a working connection or an up-to-date system but not (yet) both!

Thanks again for all the help though.

MrEngman

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:24 pm

arg1 wrote:Mr Engman's latest script (June 19) worked fine for me - many thanks!! As his script suggests when it finishes it's not a good idea to run rpi-update though - it all stopped working again after that. So it seems we can have a working connection or an up-to-date system but not (yet) both!

Thanks again for all the help though.
Hi arg1,

What image are you using? Sometimes after running rpi-update I've seen the wifi stop but re-running the script and selecting the Update option can bring it back up.

I've got the latest raspbian running and the script stops before running rpi-update but I've run rpi-update manually and the code is updated to linux version #171 from #168 I think and the current latest driver is OK with that.

MrEngman

mikfaina

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi all, which version of driver should i download for RaspBmc? I should put them into boot directory and than after boot install that? After first boot will start installation process? In this case how can i run script before installation try to download all components?

THanks in advice
P.S. successfully installed micro sub on my raspbian thanks to MrEngman's script :)

Clifford

Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:15 pm

MrEngman wrote:Before loading the script what did you do when the setup gui ran?
First time partition resize and SSH; the second time left at defaults. The WiFi LED flashes for several minutes before finally going out.

I'll try again at some point; the problem is that I only have one SD card at the moment, so swapping images is tedious and time consuming.

mikfaina

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Michi wrote:
MrEngman wrote:

Greetings,
Michael
Hi there,
you can find Raspbmc on this homepage: http://www.raspbmc.com/

Great work with the installation script :-)

Greetings from germany,
Michael
Michi when you start first time raspbmc and login as root where did you find install script? I try under boot but nothing there. Any news on which version of drivers to use?

mypi

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:36 pm

is the RTL8188CUR driver the same as RTL8188 ? i have a wireless adapter with the later Ralink chipset, have ran the latest script fine, but cannot connect - cannot resolve the host name.
i am running the new raspbian image, thanks

Michi

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Michi when you start first time raspbmc and login as root where did you find install script? I try under boot but nothing there. Any news on which version of drivers to use?
I've downloaded the install script from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/instal ... -latest.sh
Raspbmc doesn't match any OS defined in the script, so it will abort.
I hope MrEngman will try to implement Raspbmc soon ;-)

MrEngman

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 pm

mikfaina wrote: Michi when you start first time raspbmc and login as root where did you find install script? I try under boot but nothing there. Any news on which version of drivers to use?
Installing the wifi on raspbmc rc3 looks to be a real mess. And it uses NetworkManager which I really do not like. It's all far too complicated. I've been trying to install my wifi on raspbmc but have got stuck. My install script certainly will NOT work on raspbmc.

Take a look here for help on installation. Hope you understand it better than I did. http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=780

MrEngman

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:33 pm

mypi wrote:is the RTL8188CUR driver the same as RTL8188 ? i have a wireless adapter with the later Ralink chipset, have ran the latest script fine, but cannot connect - cannot resolve the host name.
What is the RTL8188CUR driver? What device are you using? If it's Ralink you need a Ralink driver. The RTL8188CUS is a Realtek driver.

Michi

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:37 pm

MrEngman wrote:
mikfaina wrote: Michi when you start first time raspbmc and login as root where did you find install script? I try under boot but nothing there. Any news on which version of drivers to use?
Installing the wifi on raspbmc rc3 looks to be a real mess. And it uses NetworkManager which I really do not like. It's all far too complicated. I've been trying to install my wifi on raspbmc but have got stuck. My install script certainly will NOT work on raspbmc.

Take a look here for help on installation. Hope you understand it better than I did. http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=780
I already tried this and it didn't work for me, too. I will try it again :-)

MrEngman

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:39 pm

mikfaina wrote:Hi all, which version of driver should i download for RaspBmc? I should put them into boot directory and than after boot install that? After first boot will start installation process? In this case how can i run script before installation try to download all components?

THanks in advice
P.S. successfully installed micro sub on my raspbian thanks to MrEngman's script :)
My drivers do not work with raspbmc and the script will not work with raspbmc. Look here for help. http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=78

mypi

Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:52 pm

MrEngman wrote:
mypi wrote:is the RTL8188CUR driver the same as RTL8188 ? i have a wireless adapter with the later Ralink chipset, have ran the latest script fine, but cannot connect - cannot resolve the host name.
What is the RTL8188CUR driver? What device are you using? If it's Ralink you need a Ralink driver. The RTL8188CUS is a Realtek driver.
Sorry, i meant RTL8188CUS, i am using this exact device, the specification is listed. i ran install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh with 8192cu-20120701.tar.gz file

Montala

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:22 pm

I know that this subject is mentioned in the 'instructions' but I am anxious to make the process as painless as possible.

At present I am using a hard-wired network connection, and I just have the dongle for my Logitech K400 keyboard/touch pad plugged into the USB port on my Raspi. I now wish to add a Edimax EW-7811UN adapter, and realise that I will be better off using a powered hub, which will also be used to supply the RasPi.

Am I better off leaving the Logitech dongle where it is and plugging the Edimax one into the hub, plugging them both into the hub, or having the Edimax one on the RasPi and the Logitech one in the hub?

I will be using the latest official version of Raspbian, which I understand has Mr Engman's script file already included... is this correct?

Thanks! :)

PaulCheffus

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Montala wrote:I know that this subject is mentioned in the 'instructions' but I am anxious to make the process as painless as possible.

At present I am using a hard-wired network connection, and I just have the dongle for my Logitech K400 keyboard/touch pad plugged into the USB port on my Raspi. I now wish to add a Edimax EW-7811UN adapter, and realise that I will be better off using a powered hub, which will also be used to supply the RasPi.

Am I better off leaving the Logitech dongle where it is and plugging the Edimax one into the hub, plugging them both into the hub, or having the Edimax one on the RasPi and the Logitech one in the hub?

I will be using the latest official version of Raspbian, which I understand has Mr Engman's script file already included... is this correct?

Hi

I am using both of these devices direct into the USB ports on the Pi without a hub. Seems to work ok to me on both Wheezy and the Official Raspbian version.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

MrEngman

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Montala wrote:I know that this subject is mentioned in the 'instructions' but I am anxious to make the process as painless as possible.

It may be best to plug both dongles into the hub. May depend on the hub though. Powered hubs, in my view anyway, shouldn't take any power from the host but many do these days. If the hub takes any power, and some can take quite a lot, from the Pi then to reduce power taken from the Pi's USB ports plug both dongles into the hub. My powered hub takes no power so I have my adapter plugged directly into the Pi's USB port. But I also have a seperate very substantial power supply powering my Pi.

The script is not included with raspbian. You will need to download it. As you have a wired ethernet connection then Cliffords example is a good start and I would recommend it. Look here. Unfortunately for him he has not been able to get it working but I have tried it several times with the EW-7811Un, starting with the raw image each time, and it has worked OK every time.

Montala

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:00 pm

Thank you both for your very prompt... (albeit slightly different!) replies.

I will probably 'play it safe' the first time, and once I have got it working OK, I can start to 'play around' a bit, to find out what works and what doesn't!

Babbage6913

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Mr Engman,

Cheers for the script, got it mostly working. I say mostly because everything is ok until I 'startx'. Then the dongle just locks up. Any ideas??

Using the new raspbian distro from downloads page, Edimax EW-7622UMn dongle, which uses the RTL8192Su chipset. Also latest version of your script and drivers from this thread.

I have tried jumping out of raspi-config without setting anything, then running your script. Wifi comes up connects etc via console. But as soon as I 'startx' the adapter freezes. This is with and without eth0 connected. If I logout of X the adapter kicks back in.

Get the same problem wether or not I change settings in raspi-config, likewise with or without running rpi-update.

Also if I try 'sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart' it just locks up.

Any help greatfully appreciated

Pat

Return to “Beginners”