Jim Ford

Re: Automatic setup for RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:17 am

My raspbian set-up with an Edimax dongle was working fine until I did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. It then stopped working!

I've installed 'ers' driver posted earlier and it's now working, except I have to insmod the driver manually - it doesn't install automatically. I'm working headless, so of course I need an ethernet connection to do it!

It's all a pain -. it seems that every time there are updates to raspbian, the wireless driver stops working and an updated one has to be found and installed!

Has 'MrEngman' considered that he may have a job for life, continually updating RTL8188CUS drivers?

Jim

Jim Ford

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:22 am

I forgot to ask (above):

Why is it such a big issue with the RTL8188CUS drivers. The little Edimax dongle seems to be popular - it's cheap and readily available. Why aren't there working drivers built into the distro for it?

Jim

MrEngman

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Jim Ford wrote:I forgot to ask (above):

Why is it such a big issue with the RTL8188CUS drivers. The little Edimax dongle seems to be popular - it's cheap and readily available. Why aren't there working drivers built into the distro for it?

Jim
There is a driver built in but for some reason it doesn't work.

If you do an update and the wifi stops working then running the script again and selecting upgrade rather than adding a new drive will generally get it back up and running again.

Not much help though if you're using ssh over wifi.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

pjc123

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Jim Ford wrote:I forgot to ask (above):

Jim
I have to agree. Edimax and its clones are the most popular devices on Amazon, and get rave reviews from both Linux and Windows users. Having to reload the driver after every other apt-get upgrade or so is pretty ridiculous. Thanks to the work of MrEngmann it is at least possible to use this device. If it wasn't for the fact that it runs without a powered hub, I would have switched to a different chipset.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:

https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

Jim Ford

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 pm

MrEngman wrote: There is a driver built in but for some reason it doesn't work.
So we install your working driver, but when we do an 'update' it gets overwritten with the original cr@p non-working driver?

Jim

MrEngman

Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:29 pm

Jim Ford wrote:
MrEngman wrote: There is a driver built in but for some reason it doesn't work.
So we install your working driver, but when we do an 'update' it gets overwritten with the original cr@p non-working driver?

Jim
No. As the kernel changes the driver may need to be recompiled to match the new kernel revision. Depends on what changes in the new kernel revision. If the driver does not match the new kernel it will not load and a recompiled driver matching the new revision needs loading.

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

snblitz

Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:50 pm

All was working well for me. I did an rpi-update and now I am running

Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #6 PREEMPT Sat Aug 18 15:05:48 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

and wlan0 is all broken. The script downloads pre-compiled modules for each OS rev. Is the source to the module available so I can compile it myself?

mmiller

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:17 am

my installation on a vanilla '2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian' worked perfectly until the script updated the software and firmware.
After the reboot the Wifi failed to connect.

presumably this was caused by the kernel driver over writing the Engman's efforts.

I attempted to re-run the script to replace the driver but encountered the following error:

Code: Select all

Any files needed for the installation/upgrade will be downloaded from the
Internet.

Unrecognised software version: Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #6 PREEMPT Sat Aug 18 15:05:48 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

Downloading the latest script.

The script you're using is the latest version.

Aborting the rtl8188cus installation script.
I'm assuming there's a new compilation of the driver on the way.
@Engman, if you need help offloading this, I'm happy to contribute. just point me in the direction of the instructions.

MrEngman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:26 am

mmiller wrote:my installation on a vanilla '2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian' worked perfectly until the script updated the software and firmware.
After the reboot the Wifi failed to connect.

presumably this was caused by the kernel driver over writing the Engman's efforts.

I attempted to re-run the script to replace the driver but encountered the following error:

Internet.

Unrecognised software version: Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #6 PREEMPT Sat Aug 18 15:05:48 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

I'm assuming there's a new compilation of the driver on the way.
@Engman, if you need help offloading this, I'm happy to contribute. just point me in the direction of the instructions.
The script and driver have been updated. I presume you've a wired connection available so just run the script and it will download the new one and load the latest driver. Just select upgrade when asked if you want to upgrade or add a new adapter.

MrEngman

MrEngman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:38 am

snblitz wrote:All was working well for me. I did an rpi-update and now I am running

Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #6 PREEMPT Sat Aug 18 15:05:48 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

and wlan0 is all broken. The script downloads pre-compiled modules for each OS rev. Is the source to the module available so I can compile it myself?
Source is available here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/Red ... 120622.zip

There is a new version of the driver avalable. If you've a wired connection just run the script and it will download an updated version of script which will then download and install the latest driver.

snblitz

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:32 am

MrEngman wrote:
snblitz wrote:All was working well for me. I did an rpi-update and now I am running

Source is available here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/Red ... 120622.zip

There is a new version of the driver avalable. If you've a wired connection just run the script and it will download an updated version of script which will then download and install the latest driver.
Thank you very much for the update and the link to the source. All is again working. :-)

Pitel

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:51 am

It does not work for me. I have run rpi-update, and the wifi does not work. Script says it's running the latest version and I have unsupported kernel:
This script will install the driver for Realtek RTL8188CUS based wifi adapters.

For all images other than XBian the script will also update the software to the
latest version using apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and rpi-update.

1. It can install a new driver if you do not already have the rtl8188cus driver
installed and have no other wifi adapter installed.
2. It can install a wifi adapter using the rtl8188cus driver if you have a wifi
adapter using a different driver already installed.
3. If the driver is already installed it will update the driver and software, or
allow you to add an different wifi adapter using the rtl8188cus driver so you
can switch between them if you want to, e.g. unplug one and plug in another,
or even connect two wifi adapters at the same time.
4. It can repair a broken driver. e.g. if you have updated the software and the
wifi has stopped working it will update the driver to a working version if
one is available.

If you are installing your first wifi adapter or adding a new one do not plug it
in until told to do so. If you have a wifi adapter already installed and now it
is not working due to a recent software update unplug it now and plug it back in
when the script tells you to.

If you don't have a working wifi adapter but do have a wired network with access
to the internet connect the internet cable. Files needed for the installation
will be downloaded from the internet.

If you have a working wifi adapter and it is plugged in do not unplug it. It
will be used to download files needed for the installation from the internet.

Press any key to continue...

An RTL8188CUS driver module is installed but is not loaded.

You have 1 wifi adapter configured.
wlan0 is configured but is not installed.

The Pi has an internet connection.

Internet.

Script's md5 is d5eb402b8ba32cc6d1cadbec80cdfd66.

MrEngman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Pitel wrote:It does not work for me. I have run rpi-update, and the wifi does not work. Script says it's running the latest version and I have unsupported kernel:
'
'

Script's md5 is d5eb402b8ba32cc6d1cadbec80cdfd66.[/quote]

That's not right. install-rtl8188cus-latest.sh md5 cc3097292386264a46be77d39a68b425

irvsys

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:28 pm

I get exactly the same error. (with the same kernel)
I had wifi working, did an RPI Update and then it stopped working.

At first running the script would re-enable it, but then on a reboot it lost it again.

Now I am stuck with the same error of non-supported kernel (rpi 3.2.27+) and the script aborts.

(Great work by the way - its my own fault for doing an update when it was working :-( )

irvsys

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:34 pm

I have the same problem.

I have the latest script - checked the checksum.

I get the same error that my kernel version is not supported. (3.2.27+)

I did have it all working until I did an RPI _Update - so its my own fault :-(

After the update, WLAN stopped working.

Re-running the script at first got it working again, but failed after a re-boot.

Now I just get the not supported kernel error.

RPiNN1

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:40 pm

I am also having problems with the latest updates.

I'm running Wheezy and have updated to 3.2.27+ #6 PREEMPT Sat Aug 18 15:05:48 BST 2012 armv6l. This stopped wifi from working, but no problem I thought as previous updates have done this and I have run the install-rtl8188cus etc. script and updated the driver.

lsusb shows I have a 0BDA:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter.

However, having downloaded the latest installer and driver (8192cu-20120819.tar.gz) and copied them to /boot/ on the Pi, via a laptop and usb pen, I am having problems.

I've run the installer, followed the instructions and opted for an 'Update'. The lights on the wifi dongle flash and the network status manager on my LXDE panel shows a full connection for wlan0. Launching a browser confirms that there is full internet connectivity.

If I reboot wpa_supplicant shows "cannot find device wlan0" and I have no connection.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

MrEngman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi guys,

For those of you having problems with the latest rpi-update.

Looks like there are, or were, two problems with the new kernel version.

1. a problem with Saturday's rpi-update which updated the kernel to "Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #6 PREEMPT Sat Aug 18 15:05:48 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux". Re-running rpi-update should fix it I think. Works for me

2. a bug in the updated script. which put the driver in the wrong place. This is now fixed.

I found after rebooting #6 PREEMPT it reverted back to the previous revision of firmware, 3.1.9+ #278.To fix this run rpi-update again.

This will now update the version to Linux raspberrypi #12 PREEMPT Sun Aug 19 12:28:17 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux.

And to fix 2 run the script again. It should download the new version and load the driver in the correct place and should now work.

Not much I can do about 1 but sorry about 2. Bit of a screwup but now fixed. Guess I was a little short of sleep when I did the update.

MrEngman

Dweeber

Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm headless, and just got to try the script which I downloaded early Sat. I didn't get to actually try it until late late Sat night and it worked great... until I updated of course.

Linux raspberrypi #12 PREEMPT Sun Aug 19 12:28:17 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
Is there a way to know with a quick glance if the update script has changed? The comment at the top seems to be the unchanged... Update: 20/05/2012

Also, the instructions page seems to have changed, but the filename of the download has not... 2012-07-15 but file is 20120701. Is this correct?

2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian (Raspberry Pi Download page)
--------------------------
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120701.tar.gz
Got other questions, but I will do some searching first.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

MrEngman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Dweeber wrote:I'm headless, and just got to try the script which I downloaded early Sat. I didn't get to actually try it until late late Sat night and it worked great... until I updated of course.

Linux raspberrypi #12 PREEMPT Sun Aug 19 12:28:17 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
Is there a way to know with a quick glance if the update script has changed? The comment at the top seems to be the unchanged... Update: 20/05/2012

Also, the instructions page seems to have changed, but the filename of the download has not... 2012-07-15 but file is 20120701. Is this correct?

2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian (Raspberry Pi Download page)
--------------------------
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80256631/8192cu-20120701.tar.gz
Got other questions, but I will do some searching first.
When you run the script if it finds it does not recognise the kernel version it will try and download a new version. It will check if the script has changed or not. If it has changed it will automatically run again.

The files referenced in the instructions for installing the wifi are for an image that has not been updated at all. There is also a list of driver versions that match the different kernel versions that have appeared during the development of the kernel. They keep changing and get updated. That list is really just for reference.

I don't always add comments to say the script has updated as the script can check this itself. may be I should.

If you run rpi-update and the wifi stops working run the script and it will check if it recognises the new version or not. If it does not it will try and download the latest script. If it find the script has changed it will run again to try and update the driver for the new kernel version. If the script has not changed there will not be an update until I find out about it. If the script recognises the new kernel version it will run to try and upgrade the driver.

If you don't know what version of driver is needed and you need to download it somewhere else and copy it ti the SD card you can run the script and it will tell you what files it needs.

Dweeber

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks...

When I ran the script, it told me which file it needed. Since I don't have a working USBDrive yet, I shutdown the system, removed the SDCard, got the file from my Notebook and put it on the SDcard, reinserted it and tried it again and it worked. Since the txt file is not updated, I Don't know what file is needed until I run the script. I guess I can just keep track of the uname line and if it changes assume there is a difference.

Once I get a working USB thumb drive, this will be a lot easier without having to shutdown the system every time I need to make a change. The USB drive I am trying to use is complaining about not being able to read the superblock so I will have to figure that out. This will give me another 8GB (or in the case of this one 16GB) more space to play with and make it easier to add stuff while the computer is up.

In the future, if I am going to do an update, I will just assume there will be a change and be ready for it in the future.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...

MrEngman

Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Just to let you all know there has been a further update today - Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #24 PREEMPT Sun Aug 19 21:28:36 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

The latest script has been updated so knows all about it. The driver remains the same as with #6 and #12.

RPiNN1

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks MrEngman.

Have just got back, booted my Pi and received #24. Rerun the install scripts (before seeing your response) and now wifi is working again.

Cheers,

Gary

Jim Ford

Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:24 pm

I think we're all pretty grateful for the sterling work 'MrEngman' has provided for getting wifi working with the RTL8188CUS.

Jim

Dweeber

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 pm

This is working pretty good. The issue being headless is there a way to allow for multiple networks?
Currently in /etc/network/interfaces I have an entry like:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "myssi"
wpa-psk "mypass"
Is there a format that I can use which would allow the device on its own to see and use a known network when I am in range? For example, at work I know the WiFi there but since it is headless, it would be hard to do without having to hookup a keyboard and monitor.

Or do I need more scripts to do this?
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...

juniperz

Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:24 pm

I am not having a lot of luck here. As I posted a week or so ago ( http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 93#p149293 ) I did get this to work just the once, and then rpi-update trashed the whole install.
Since then, in spite of numerous attempts, I just get
wlan0 No scan results found
I have latest install-rtl8188cus.sh - downloaded just minutes ago. I have a wired connection to the RPi and can get to the internet in the browser.
There is a wireless connection here, and I know its SSID, and it's visible (and the laptop I am using is connected to it).
I have followed the instructions from the script, to the letter.
I have written the 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian.img to the SD card using Win32DiskImager.exe many times for a fresh start.
Any ideas please?

Return to “Beginners”