Courbet

Power down/Autoboot use with Openelec/tv

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Hello all,
Just got my rpi and decided to start off easy with using it as a media center running Openelec. All is well and can watch videos etc. A few question tho.

Can I auto boot to Openelec at start up with out logins etc?
How do I manage power to the Rpi? I want to control the center with my iPhone but am not sure how to turn it off. Easy thing is to connect it to my power strip that has a USB input, when the tv turns off so will the pi- it would be like pulling the power plug. Or leave it on 24/7? I am really trying to avoid logins and commands to make it easy for my wife and family to use without hassle.

Any ideas or help?

Thanks.

hunternet93

Re: Power down/Autoboot use with Openelec/tv

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Given how little power the Pi consumes, I'd just leave it on all the time. I haven't tried OpenElec, but RaspBMC (another XBMC distro) does log in automatically. OpenElec's website appears to be down so I haven't been able to research further.

Courbet

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks. Would there be any memory card problems by having it on all the time? I thought I read that somewhere in my googling process.

hunternet93

Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:27 pm

I haven't experienced any, I have a Model B acting as a router/VPN tunnel that's been on for months with no issues.

Return to “Beginners”