MrSlinkyfish

Apple Bluetooth keyboard

Sat May 19, 2012 6:25 pm

I am due to receive my Raspberry Pi very soon and I wondered if anyone has had success using Apple's Bluetooth keyboard, it is small and would be very convenient to use along with the board.

I understand that a Bluetooth dongle would need to be used. The other keyboards that I own have PS2 connections, I would be grateful for any responses suggesting if this would be possible using the Debian OS.

MrSlinkyfish

Aalan

Re: Apple Bluetooth keyboard

Sun May 20, 2012 3:39 pm

I've ordered a very cheap bluetooth adapter from ebay to try the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, so should be able to let you know on Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how fast it arrives. In the meantime I also ordered for £1.75 a two in one PS2 x 2 to USB x 1 adapter. This works for an extremely old Tiny computer keyboard. I have yet to try an old mouse into the same adapter. I hope this is helpful! Alan

MrSlinkyfish

Mon May 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Alan,

Thank you for your response, I shall be very keen to know how you get on with your apple keyboard, I had considered buying a PS2 to USB adapter but figured that I would much rather have a wireless keyboard that is nice and compact.

MrSlinkyfish

Aalan

Thu May 24, 2012 8:37 pm

The adapter arrived today but I think getting it to work is going to need me to scratch my head and get a little more familiar with Linux. I will try tomorrow or over the weekend and will post another response then. I've tried to get a wireless adapter that I already had to work without being connected via ethernet but it didn't, so will now be trying to stretch a long ethernet cable to a switch to get the driver. I can report that the mouse worked fine, so I'm quite pleased to have very old keyboard and very old mouse only taking up one usb port - I would also prefer bluetooth though. One comment I saw implied that the pi usb won't power a wireless adapter - this might also apply to a bt adapter I suppose, so this could be a cause for a fail! Alan

error404

Fri May 25, 2012 12:47 am

lol at wanting to use a keyboard that costs twice as much as the computer. (Coming from someone typing on a $130 keyboard...)

That's all.

To be useful, BT is quite a lot lower power than WiFi so I wouldn't expect power problems unless you're right on the edge already. Setting up Bluetooth properly in Linux can be a bit awkward if you want it to work in the console, but if you can wait for X to start up then using Blueman is pretty trivial. I've no idea what Apple has screwed around with for association with their keyboards though, last time I saw one there was no obvious way to put it in pairing mode...

MrSlinkyfish

Fri May 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Great News!

My Raspberry Pi came yesterday, I have set up the keyboard and am also using a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse. I used Error404's suggestion to use Blueman in X and the keyboard now works for both startup and in the desktop environment.
lol at wanting to use a keyboard that costs twice as much as the computer
I agree, however, If we have the equipment, we might as well use it to make our experience with the pi as enjoyable as possible (ie. not being tethered to the television!)

itimpi

Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 pm

MrSlinkyfish wrote: I agree, however, If we have the equipment, we might as well use it to make our experience with the pi as enjoyable as possible (ie. not being tethered to the television!)
I agree. I am expecting to use my iPad3 (+ Apple Keyboard) with a VNC client which means it is about 25 times the cost of the PI :D . However I still expect to have fun using the PI.

Aalan

Tue May 29, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm very pleased to hear you got it working, because I haven't! And trying to set it up before reading about blueman has led to not even the usb keyboard being recognised anymore! I need to redo the SD card as well as I'm now getting a kernel error. My progress is backwards, but I must be learning.

Which vnc client works to get this going on the ipad? And what needs to be done at the pi end? I would also like to avoid using the TV... wife seems to think it's for watching programmes and films, how last century is that?

Alan

MrSlinkyfish

Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm

I am afraid I am only a student completely new to Linux, I followed tutorials on how to set up Blueman and with a bit of tinkering with the passkey I managed to get it working. I have found this forum incredibly useful for various bits of information, I wish you the best of luck, I hope that someone who knows more than me will be able to help you out with your other ideas!

mlepage

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:25 am

I also have an Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) Keyboard, and a Microsoft bluetooth mouse. I'm interested in using both with the Raspberry Pi. Is there a specific model of Bluetooth USB dongle I should be looking to purchase? Or will any work?

BradPitt1

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 am

I'm very happy with ZAGG universal Bluetooth keyboard with TrackPoint. It has a great range and reliability, this keyboard is very hard to find online, It's referred to me by one of my friends from this list of best Bluetooth keyboard for Apple TV.

If you can't afford more money, then you must check out these best bluetooth keyboards under $50.

Return to “Beginners”