Obuch13

How to unzip NOOBS

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:32 pm

To my embarrassment and the dismay of the grandkids who cannot use their new RPi's I cannot unzip the NNOBS file! Never had problems in the past with unzipping files. Formatting the SD card (16GB), takes a few seconds. They are still interested. Go to RP.org site and download NOOBS_v1_3_2.zip (in properties size is given as 27KB-not sure whether this is an error since abbreviation for 1000 is k, and upper case K is reserved for the Kelvin temperature scale; I assume some typo error). I open the file and there is 'Length; Name; ....; Size: 1.13GB', must be the file and the other is a typo! Click-it; Schmick-it; there is no unzip!! I go back and re-read the instructions
1. Insert an SD card that is 4GB or greater in size into your computer
2. Format the SD card so that the Pi can read
a. Windows
i. Download the SD Association's Formatting Tool1 from
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... a_windows/
ii. Install and run the Formatting Tool on your machine
iii. Set "FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT" option to "ON" in the "Options" menu
iv. Check that the SD card you inserted matches the one selected by the Tool
v. Click the “Format” button
This all done - no problem
3. Download the New Out Of Box Software (NOOBS) from:
downloads.raspberrypi.org/noobs
Done
4. Unzip the downloaded file
a. Windows: Right click on the file and choose “Extract all”
This latter instruction does not work on NOOBS_v1_3_2.zip. I can move it, copy it, send it , etc but I cannot EXTRACT it!!
At this time the kids interest has waned and been replaced by Gameboy-just the opposite of my intent!
So what am I doing wrong? That I cannot unzip the file?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How to unzip NOOBS

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Hi,
and welcome to the forum.
I,m not 100% sure where you see the 27k? It's not mentioned on this webpage, that I can see :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

The noobs download image is around 1.2gigs from memory.
Perhaps that is the problem - you haven't downloaded the complete file and that's why you can't unzip it?

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:50 pm

I agree with @Texy, I think your download was incomplete.
For reference:
20918392 Nov 4 21:25 NOOBS_lite_v1_3_2.zip
1209864487 Oct 14 21:23 NOOBS_v1_3_1.zip
ie. NOOBS_lite is ~21Mb and the full version is ~1.21Gb.
Although I normally use Ubuntu Linux's unzip tool, on those occasions when I'm using Windows (XP) I prefer to use "7-zip" rather than Windows "built-in" zip file extraction. The former allows you to unzip/extract directly to the SDHC card rather than (just) into a temporary folder that you subsequently have to copy over the contents of. (FWIW, screenshots of the process, albeit for an older version of NOOBS, can be found at: http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... 121XP.html)
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

Phill Rymer

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 pm

download WinRAR free for 40 days select option extract here will then be extracted to downloads go to downloads open file select all and copy to disc in windows 2010 this can be done from the options listed above the file9copy to drive?) don't know about pervious office versions

DougieLawson

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Phill Rymer wrote:download WinRAR free for 40 days select option extract here will then be extracted to downloads go to downloads open file select all and copy to disc in windows 2010 this can be done from the options listed above the file9copy to drive?) don't know about pervious office versions
Why do you think you need to do that?

The NOOBS download is a *.ZIP file
You unzip it, copy it to the SDCard, put that card in the Pi and boot.

There's no value in expanding any of the contents of the folder where you've unzipped the NOOBS.zip file.

Also if you insist on messing with RAR files on Windows then 7-Zip is a better solution at a better price (free) and will still be working in 41 days time.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Phill Rymer

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:17 pm

because that's how a blog on noobs recommended doing it and it worked for me never had a bad card yet using that method

Joe Schmoe

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:32 pm

I assume that the point is that WinRAR can unzip ZIP files. So can just about any other tool.

So can Windows intrinsically (since about XP or thereabouts).

So you can choose whatever tool you like and it should work. Personally, I always use a copy of UNZIP.EXE, dated 11/03/97, which works just fine thankyouverymuch.

But the point is: Why are things not working for the OP? Likely is, as always, either user error or an error downloading the file (i.e., user error). Also, I think people should be encouraged, if at all possible, to use the "LITE" version of NOOBS, not the heavy one. The lite version is about 20M (IIRC). It is not beyond the realm of possibility that whatever "file mangler" or whatever that the OP might be using is displaying 20M as "27K" (maybe the underlying units are Ks and etc, etc).

So, he might, in fact, have the LITE version as we speak...
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

DougieLawson

Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:So, he might, in fact, have the LITE version as we speak...
Whatever version is downloaded it's a good idea to check the sha1sum against the one published on the download site.

Microsoft have a version of that checksum tool that will install on Windows http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=11533
Raspbian has it installed by default: /usr/bin/sha1sum
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

Return to “Beginners”