ppllikegrapes
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:28 pm

masking my ip with a proxy

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:26 am

Hi im new to setting a proxy can someone explain ho to set one p on my pi. im running chromium at the moment.

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:48 am

Kind of depends if you want the Pi to be a proxy for itself, a proxy for another computer or you want to set the PI to use another machine as a proxy. Depending on how your internet works, the first 2 options will probably not have the desired effect. If you're not worried by sharing with the kiddie porn surfers and the serious piracy advocates, you'd probably be better looking at TOR or something similar rather than a proxy.

That should get 'em going.....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Kymru
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 am
Location: Y Drenewydd, Cymru

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi, I am interested the same sort of thing, i have 4 Pi's, 2 are 512 and 2 are 256
I want to try and set one of the 256's so i can get access to the recently banned torrent sites in the UK

on 1 of the 512 Pi's, i have Transmission installed and Flexget, i can tell flexget to use a proxy connection, but only want Flexget to use the proxy and not transmission but also sometimes want my browser to connect to the proxy as well

what would be the easiest way to setup one of the other 256 Pi's as a go between for a proxy

i guess i want the Pi to be a proxy for another computer on my network

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 36578
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:49 pm

The proxy program for Linux is squid. It's relatively easy to configure as a simple caching proxy.
http://www.squid-cache.org/

sudo apt-get install squid
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Kymru
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 am
Location: Y Drenewydd, Cymru

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 am

ill take a look, any other suggestions?

User avatar
pluggy
Posts: 3635
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
Contact: Website

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:36 am

You'd need the Pi to have a non UK global IP address, which probably means it would need to be located outside the UK. Its not the fact that you're using a proxy thats does what you want, its the fact that the proxy isn't in the country that's enforcing the block. It wouldn't need to be a proxy, a bit of creative port forwarding/ip masquerading would do it, but it doesn't alter the fact the machine doing it would need to be outside the country in question.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Kymru
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 am
Location: Y Drenewydd, Cymru

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:14 pm

pluggy wrote:You'd need the Pi to have a non UK global IP address, which probably means it would need to be located outside the UK. Its not the fact that you're using a proxy thats does what you want, its the fact that the proxy isn't in the country that's enforcing the block. It wouldn't need to be a proxy, a bit of creative port forwarding/ip masquerading would do it, but it doesn't alter the fact the machine doing it would need to be outside the country in question.
true, i was thinking of using tor and blocking all exit nodes from the UK, i am not worried about personal info being shared as the whole point of the proxy would be to scan a torrent site and grab the thismovie.torrent or thisepisode.torrent files then download them from my own internet connection

i have just come across this, but not sure if it works yet viewtopic.php?f=36&t=54183

lazarus78
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Kymru wrote: true, i was thinking of using tor and blocking all exit nodes from the UK, i am not worried about personal info being shared as the whole point of the proxy would be to scan a torrent site and grab the thismovie.torrent or thisepisode.torrent files then download them from my own internet connection

i have just come across this, but not sure if it works yet viewtopic.php?f=36&t=54183
Torrenting isn't inherently problematic. In fact, torrents are a great way to download large files, and I have seen several game developers offer up their game download through torrents. The thing that gives torrents a bad name is the way most people use them.

I am not sure on the policies of this site, and I have no problem with discussing torrenting in general, but you are basically advertising that you plan to torrent movies and TV shows. That is not cool.

Gather information under the guise of ignorance if you must, as that is your prerogative, but please consider the setting before you basically spell out that you plan on breaking the law.

Kymru
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 am
Location: Y Drenewydd, Cymru

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:47 am

lazarus78 wrote: but you are basically advertising that you plan to torrent movies and TV shows. That is not cool.

Gather information under the guise of ignorance if you must, as that is your prerogative, but please consider the setting before you basically spell out that you plan on breaking the law.
I understand your concern, but who said what i was downloading was illegal? there are movies and episodes you can legally download

more importantly, there are loads of posts on here about using Flexget (which is used to automate downloads of films and TV episodes) this thread 35&t=47084&hilit=flexget so i dont think the legality of downloading things from torrents is a big issue here

basically what I am getting at is your not an admin and its not your job to police the forums, until such time i am told by an admin that such topics are not allowed and it has a forum wide notice, i will continue to ask, i will continue to do and last but not least (where i can), i will continue to help others

Kymru
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:28 am
Location: Y Drenewydd, Cymru

Re: masking my ip with a proxy

Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:36 am

I got it working, well kind of, just have to setup Flexget to download through a proxy now

basically i have Flexget/Transmission on 1 Pi on another Pi i have Tor/Privoxy (Tor is setup as a relay)

so Flexget >>>> Privoxy >>>> Tor >>>> Tor Network >>>> UK banned Torrent site

if anyone wants any info on setup, more than willing to help

Return to “Beginners”