fjdurbin

Zero video output

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Received my Model B Pi about a week ago. I've plugged it into 2 HDTVs. Each of them have a port that is HDIM/DVI and a port the that is marked just HDMI. I get nothing on the screen. I have plugged an RCA cable from the Pi into each of the RCA video ports on each and still nothing on the screen. I tried an old analog TV on channel 3 with the RCA cable and still nothing on the screen. I purchased an adapter to plug my RGB computer monitor into the HDMI port on the Pi and still nothing on the screen.

Next, the Pi came with an 8 gig Noobs SD card from Allied so I'm thinking it must be the card. I format a new PLNY card using the recommended SD Association formatting tool and the Noob image from Raspberry Pi org. Still no joy.

Am I in possession of a bad Pi or am I completely inept at anything that involves technology? In my defense, I have taught Microsoft application classes at the college level. I have replaced HDs in computer. I have added RAM to computers. I've written HTAs and vbscripts. Can someone confirm my suspicions?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Zero video output

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am

fjdurbin wrote:Received my Model B Pi about a week ago. I've plugged it into 2 HDTVs. Each of them have a port that is HDIM/DVI and a port the that is marked just HDMI. I get nothing on the screen. I have plugged an RCA cable from the Pi into each of the RCA video ports on each and still nothing on the screen. I tried an old analog TV on channel 3 with the RCA cable and still nothing on the screen. I purchased an adapter to plug my RGB computer monitor into the HDMI port on the Pi and still nothing on the screen.

Next, the Pi came with an 8 gig Noobs SD card from Allied so I'm thinking it must be the card. I format a new PLNY card using the recommended SD Association formatting tool and the Noob image from Raspberry Pi org. Still no joy.

Am I in possession of a bad Pi or am I completely inept at anything that involves technology? In my defense, I have taught Microsoft application classes at the college level. I have replaced HDs in computer. I have added RAM to computers. I've written HTAs and vbscripts. Can someone confirm my suspicions?
What do the LED's on the Rasp do when you power it up?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fjdurbin

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:10 pm

ACT = 8 pr 9 green blinks then a 2 second pause
PWR = continuous red

klricks

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Make sure the TV is on and proper input is selected before booting the RPi.
When attempting composite (RCA), make sure the HDMI is not connected then reboot RPi.
Also if the RPi has been on for more than 5 min., without keyboard/mouse movement, the screensaver will blank the screen.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Paladin

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:37 pm

I have a dumb question, what connector are you using to power on the Pi?
Paladin Electronic Services, Inc.

fjdurbin

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Paladin wrote:I have a dumb question, what connector are you using to power on the Pi?
When I purchased the Pi from Allied Electronics I purchased the power supply at the same time. I'm not at home at the moment but I'm confident that the power supply is correct for the Pi.

I've not had a chance to try the things the other posters suggested but will soon and will report back. Thank you for the reply...JD

DeeJay

Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 pm

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

fjdurbin

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 am

My Pi flashes 8 times. I'm pretty confident that the 8 flashes are associated with:

SDRAM not recognized. You need newer bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware.

I've tried three different SD cards. When I purchased the Pi B model I purchased a pre-installed version of Noobs with the Pi B. That one does not work.

I purchased a new 16 gig PNY SD and used the recommended SD card formatter tool and installed Noobs on it. That did not work.

I re-formatted the 16 gig PNY SD and installed Raspbian using the recommended Win32 Disk Image tool. That did not work.

I found a 2 gig SD and reformatted it and installed Noobs on it. That did not work.

HOW CAN I DO A FIRMWARE UPGRADE IF I CAN'T SEE WHAT IS ON THE SCREEN AND I CAN'T GET THE PI TO RECOGNIZE MY PI?

I'm grateful your for your help...JD

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:00 am

if you really have used the very latest version of the software, and you still get eight flashes then unfortunately what you say might be true, and "Am I in possession of a bad Pi " must be answered with "Yes".

I presume that "SDRAM not recognized" means exactly that, but as no newer bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware exist in this case I must conclude that literally your SDRAM isn't recognized, presumably because the connection between the PoP (Package on Package) RAM chip that sits on top of the SoC (System on a Chip) chip is broken.
Must have happened in transport, as PI's are tested in factory.

never seen it happen before, but there is a first time for everything.

P.S. normally when you get this message you cannot do an upgrade, instead you simply create a new SD-Card using the latest available image version, which should contains the latest bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware that "knows" about all current and previous SDRAM types. Such an image is normally available long before manufacturing switches to the new SDRAM. Getting new bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware is like getting a new BIOS update in that respect.

fjdurbin

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:25 am

mahjongg wrote:if you really have used the very latest version of the software, and you still get eight flashes then unfortunately what you say might be true, and "Am I in possession of a bad Pi " must be answered with "Yes".

I presume that "SDRAM not recognized" means exactly that, but as no newer bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware exist in this case I must conclude that literally your SDRAM isn't recognized, presumably because the connection between the PoP (Package on Package) RAM chip that sits on top of the SoC (System on a Chip) chip is broken.

P.S. normally when you get this message you cannot do an upgrade, instead you simply create a new SD-Card using the latest available image version, which should contains the latest bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware that "knows" about all current and previous SDRAM types. Such an image is normally available long before manufacturing switches to the new SDRAM. Getting new bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware is like getting a new BIOS update in that respect.
So, if I understand correctly, putting a fresh OS image on an SD IS the equivalent of getting the latest bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware update.

Doesn't the Pi itself have firmware that has to be updated?...JD

rdb

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:26 pm

fjdurbin wrote:
mahjongg wrote:if you really have used the very latest version of the software, and you still get eight flashes then unfortunately what you say might be true, and "Am I in possession of a bad Pi " must be answered with "Yes".

So, if I understand correctly, putting a fresh OS image on an SD IS the equivalent of getting the latest bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware update.

The latest version of NOOBS (v1.3.2) works with all versions of the Pi. If you are following the formatting instructions and the LEDs are still flashing the bad SDRAM pattern then your Pi must have a fault.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 pm

fjdurbin wrote:So, if I understand correctly, putting a fresh OS image on an SD IS the equivalent of getting the latest bootcode.bin/start.elf firmware update.

No, the PI itself contains not a single byte of ARM code!

AndrewKnutsen

Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:26 pm

> No, the PI itself contains not a single byte of ARM code!

What is flashing the LED's saying "SDRAM not recognized"? I doubt that code is on the SDRAM...

Andrew

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:35 pm

That Is done by code read from the SD-Card, into memory caches in the CPU/GPU, and is code that doesn't need SDRAM yet.

AndrewKnutsen

Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:26 am

So out of curiosity, where does the code to read the code from the SD card come from? Most SoC's have a boot ROM for that sort of thing.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:46 pm

There is a tiny bit of permanent code in the SoC, but it isn't ARM code!

Its actually the GPU that fetches the first bit of code from the SD-card, it does nothing else than that!
The first code it pulls and execute is also GPU code, its only after the "rainbow screen" (GPU self-test) when actual ARM code is executed.

Return to “Beginners”