haleyma

At the end of my troubleshooting options:

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:23 am

Hi, I have a Type B RPi and at one time booted it with an older NOOBS SD card. Later, I booted it with a RaspBMC SD card. Now, it will not boot with the original card, but will boot with the RaspBMC card.

I've downloaded the latest NOOBS, tried loading it on two different microSD's and it won't boot from either of them.

I looked at the pinned Booting Issues post in this forum and checked my cards. Turns out the original NOOBS card is now listed as questionable. So, I got a new SD card today from the list.

It doesn't work either. I tried reformatting and downloading NOOBS lite. No success.

Here' the thing...I have a second Pi and it behaves the same way.

I checked the test points with my trusty multimeter and its getting enough power.

I'm just not sure what else to try and usually when I've changed enough things in a problem, the issue seems to be something simple that I'm just overlooking so I thought I'd ask. I tried using a different power cord, a different HDMI cord..nothing works.
I plug it in, the red led lights up and then nothing.

The first Pi boots the RaspBMC card with no problems.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: At the end of my troubleshooting options:

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:28 am

What make/type of SDHC cards?
What version of NOOBS?
What tool did you use to format the card(s)?
Did you write the card using a "built-in" card slot or an external device?
There is a known issue with NOOBS 1.3 and SanDisk Ultra cards - this is believed to be fixed within the test version of NOOBS 1.3.1 which can be found at http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/test/ .
Some "built-in" slots on older laptops/netbooks are not fully compatible with SDHC cards.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

haleyma

Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks for your reply.
The one card that works with RaspBMC is a ScanDisk Ultra 8GB

The card that used to work but does not now work is a Dane-elec 4GB (this one, I think, is now listed as questionable.)

The microSD's which do not work are a Transcend 8GB (which came from Adafruit with another component and should work)
and a PNY 16 GB..

The newest card I got yesterday is a PNY performance 8GB.

The version of NOOBS is the one on the downloads page and I also tried the NOOBS lite from that page.

I used an in-laptop SD card slot and the SDFormatter program to format.
Each of the cards directories open after copying the files and appear to contain all of the NOOBS files.

Both RPi's SD slots do not appear to have any bent pins and the RaspBMC card will boot the first Pi. (I haven't used it on the second one in case it is part of the problem...I didn't want to corrupt the second Pi.)

I will try the test NOOBS this morning. Thanks.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:52 pm

haleyma wrote:Thanks for your reply.
The one card that works with RaspBMC is a ScanDisk Ultra 8GB
The card that used to work but does not now work is a Dane-elec 4GB (this one, I think, is now listed as questionable.)
The microSD's which do not work are a Transcend 8GB (which came from Adafruit with another component and should work)
and a PNY 16 GB..
The newest card I got yesterday is a PNY performance 8GB.
The version of NOOBS is the one on the downloads page and I also tried the NOOBS lite from that page.
I used an in-laptop SD card slot and the SDFormatter program to format.
Each of the cards directories open after copying the files and appear to contain all of the NOOBS files.
Both RPi's SD slots do not appear to have any bent pins and the RaspBMC card will boot the first Pi. (I haven't used it on the second one in case it is part of the problem...I didn't want to corrupt the second Pi.)
I will try the test NOOBS this morning. Thanks.
Thank you for answering my questions - we now have a "clearer picture".
W.r.t. SanDisk Ultra cards - one of the ways the "NOOBS 1.3 problem" showed with those was that only some of the O.S.'s requested for installation would subsequently boot. Part of the "fix" was to use the same type of FAT boot partition for all O.S.'s (some were using FAT16 and some FAT32).
Whilst I have used a Transcend card for a "direct" Raspbian image most of the NOOBS "beta testing" I performed was with Kingston or integral cards (but, AFAIK, most makes were tried by those involved in said "beta testing").
W.r.t. SDFormatter, on the rare occasion I've used that & Windows XP (I normally use GParted under Ubuntu), I used both "Full (Overwrite)" and "Format Size Adjustment On" settings (takes longer, but is possibly better for "suspect" cards).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

haleyma

Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you.
I tried using the Full(erase) formatting option and downloading the test NOOBS lite to the PNY 8GB card...no luck.

I will try reformatting using the Full(overwrite) option.

Am now waiting for the Adafruit Occidentalis OS to download and am going to try that on the reformatted card.

haleyma

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Argh! No luck with the Adafruit OS.
Not sure what the problem is. Neither RPi will boot. Wondering if there is something wrong with the formatter.

DeeJay

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:47 pm

I think if there was something wrong with the formatter it would have been reported loudly by many other users by now...

The common factor *might* be the way you are preparing the cards. You said earlier -
I used an in-laptop SD card slot
It has been reported that some builtin SD card slots seem not to write SD cards correctly.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Phill Rymer

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 pm

I use 16gig class 10 cards from pny and have had no problems but I formatted them using windows properties quick format then again using sd formatter I used to occasionally have problems but not since I started double formatting I don't seem to have any issues

haleyma

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 pm

So, I finally found out what I was doing wrong!!! I am posting this so that super-Noobies like myself might enjoy a shorter algorithm than I had to endure.

When I copied the OS (OS's) onto my SD and microSD cards I was copying the whole folder. When I extracted the downloaded .zip files my computer unzipped them into a folder. I was just copying the folder onto the SD card. Now, I see in the README file it specifically says:

"4. Copy the extracted files onto the SD card that you just formatted so that this file is at the root directory of the SD card. Please note that in some cases it may extract the files into a folder, if this is the case then please copy across the files from inside the folder rather than the folder itself."

But, I blindly refused to READ THE DIRECTIONS!

I know it was something silly because Raspbmc continued to boot without problem. Apparently, I did it correctly at some time in the recent past. Grrr...now I have quite the collection of SD cards and a nifty USB SD/microSD reader/writer thingy. The price of experience!

Thanks for all ya'll's help.

Return to “Beginners”