donatello

Trouble with latest version of Raspbian

Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:22 am

I am seeking help with running the latest version of Raspbian.

The problem is that the image I have burned to a SD card works on an older pi but does not work on two brand new pi's that I have tried it on.

It is worth noting that the (new) pi's themselves do work because they have no trouble booting up with an SD card which has an older image of Rasbian on it, nor is there any problem with booting up on a RISC OS card I have created to test them with.

Any ideas as to why this might be happening are much appreciated

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Trouble with latest version of Raspbian

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:32 am

donatello wrote:I am seeking help with running the latest version of Raspbian.
The problem is that the image I have burned to a SD card works on an older pi but does not work on two brand new pi's that I have tried it on.
It is worth noting that the (new) pi's themselves do work because they have no trouble booting up with an SD card which has an older image of Rasbian on it, nor is there any problem with booting up on a RISC OS card I have created to test them with.
Any ideas as to why this might be happening are much appreciated
How far does the boot sequence progress? (http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting# ... F_Start-up)
Do the newer Pi's have a different memory chip? (If so, what are the markings?)
What brand/type of SDHC card?
Did you write the SDHC card using a built-in or external card reader/writer?
What happen if you install Raspbian via NOOBS 1.3 lite instead? (http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads)
Posting the version info. etc. of the older, working Raspbian image may also be useful.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 am

Is it a different card to those that work? Could you try taking a card that you know boots fine with older versions of raspbian and write the new image to test? It makes absolutely no sense for the same hardware (including sd card, the pi and power supply) to work fine with an older image but not the newer.

donatello

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:47 am

FTrevorGowen, the boot sequence does not start at all. There is only the red pwr led. Not a single yellow flash. No graphical output.

ShiftPlusOne, the card in question, with the latest version of Raspbian on it, does not work with the new pi but does work with another (older) pi. This card is a Dolphin peripherals 16Gb class 10 SD card. This makes no sense to me.

I could look to fault the newer pi hardware, however it does work with other SD cards. I have tested it with two cards. One is a Dolphin card (as above) with RISC OS on it. The other is a Samsung card with an Adafruit OS on it (this is what I described in the OP as "an older image of Raspbian", so I was wrong there - to a beginner they look very simillar in the GUI, and the card is not mine so I was just informed of this error.)

The fact that the Dolphin brand card with RISC on it works seems to also rule out the idea that there may be a different card reader slot in the new pi hardware that is not compatible with this Dolphin brand for some reason. So I am stumped.

The only accurate concise conclusion I can reach so far is that the new pi does not run Raspbian OS. This seems unreasonable.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 am

donatello wrote:FTrevorGowen, the boot sequence does not start at all. There is only the red pwr led. Not a single yellow flash. No graphical output.

ShiftPlusOne, the card in question, with the latest version of Raspbian on it, does not work with the new pi but does work with another (older) pi. This card is a Dolphin peripherals 16Gb class 10 SD card. This makes no sense to me.

I could look to fault the newer pi hardware, however it does work with other SD cards. I have tested it with two cards. One is a Dolphin card (as above) with RISC OS on it. The other is a Samsung card with an Adafruit OS on it (this is what I described in the OP as "an older image of Raspbian", so I was wrong there - to a beginner they look very simillar in the GUI, and the card is not mine so I was just informed of this error.)

The fact that the Dolphin brand card with RISC on it works seems to also rule out the idea that there may be a different card reader slot in the new pi hardware that is not compatible with this Dolphin brand for some reason. So I am stumped.

The only accurate concise conclusion I can reach so far is that the new pi does not run Raspbian OS. This seems unreasonable.
No (faint) green flash suggests that the card is not making proper contact in the newer Pi's slot. Since the "Dolphin" brand is "untested" (in the sense that is does not appear in http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards) and, given that the new Pi does work with an established and recommended brand (Samsung), I would suspect the card rather than the Raspbian image. Given that you have another card of that brand which does work, what about burning the newest Raspbian to that card (or, better still, try one of the more "well known" brands - I mainly use integral, Kingston, or Transcend cards, usually class 4). Currently there is a known issue with SanDisk ultra cards w.r.t. the NOOBS 1.3 installer, almost resolved but "final" testing is "in progress".
Trev.
Last edited by FTrevorGowen on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:22 am

I'd try cleaning the contacts on the pi and the sdcard and maybe pulling the pins on the slot a little outward. But I don't think that's likely to help.

SirLagz

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:55 am

These "Dolphin" SD cards sounds like the ones you buy from Woolworths.
If they are then I can grab one to test to make sure they work if you want, though my Pi is somewhat dated now.
My Blog - http://www.sirlagz.net
Visit my blog for Tips, Tricks, Guides and More !
WiFi Issues ? Have a look at this post ! http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44044

donatello

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I took the card with RISC OS on it (which is the exact same spec as the one that does not work on the new pi's), formatted it, and then wrote the same downloaded Raspbian image onto it, and this works fine.

So I guess I will have to put this one down to some very finiky little temperamental problem with the contacts on the new pi hardware...

Anyhow, the main thing is, it's working.

Return to “Beginners”