runboy93

Re: Howto: Disable Screen Saver In Raspbian

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 pm

bettersweeps wrote:After days of also dealing with this problem i have finally figured it out, so far the commands listed here will only disable it if you remember to use the bash command you design, or just put it into a loop. Here´s a 1 step fix and explanation as to why the first part has failed to work, first the code.

Code: Select all

xserver-command=X -s 0 -dpms
the reason this hasn´t always worked is because the command has 2 parts to it, the first 1 you see in the lightdm.conf file is merely a trigger, moving further down you will find a second part same print smaller description. The first one is located under Seat Defaults, the second is located under [seatdefalts] both xserver-command=X commands need to written exactly as

xserver-command=X -s 0 -dpms
for it to work. This doesn´t matter what you run your pi as, this will guarentee to disable the screen saver aka blanking aka idle mode, your screen will never blank, blink, pause, its not a loop hole. this is the real deal fix to the screen saver without needing any apps, and or mods.
Thanks!
Aluminum case for Raspberry Pi 3
https://goo.gl/3QRuVw

RPi 3 tweaks by runboy93
https://goo.gl/o8grny

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:40 pm

adeel88 wrote:
klricks wrote:
adeel88 wrote:...Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes. It worked. Can I add my custom screensaver using 'xscreensaver'?
Yes but you have to install some more addons to xscreenaver.
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=185313

Thanks. Sorry, one last thing can I add a simple black screen when user don't use the raspberry-pi or after specific idle time and when user tap on that it will show the last/original state of raspberry-pi?
I was under the impression that one of the screensaver modes is "blank screen only" ??
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

adeel88

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:26 am

After 2 hours of idle time my raspberry-pi turned off. I don't want to turn-off raspberry-pi even its idle for many hours. I just want a BLACK screen and whenever I tap it shows me Raspberry-pi original state. Can someone help me regarding this?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:27 am

adeel88 wrote:After 2 hours of idle time my raspberry-pi turned off. I don't want to turn-off raspberry-pi even its idle for many hours. I just want a BLACK screen and whenever I tap it shows me Raspberry-pi original state. Can someone help me regarding this?
xscreensaver has many options including power management, you appear to not have understood the configuration parameters:

https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

klricks

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:13 pm

adeel88 wrote:After 2 hours of idle time my raspberry-pi turned off. I don't want to turn-off raspberry-pi even its idle for many hours.
The screensaver program cannot do that. The RPi was turned off by some other reason / person.
adeel88 wrote: I just want a BLACK screen and whenever I tap it shows me Raspberry-pi original state. Can someone help me regarding this?
From the default screen [Display Modes] tab..... Click the pull down menu next to [Mode:] and choose [Blank Screen Only].

Choose how many minutes to blank......

When the mouse is moved or a key is pressed the original live screen is restored as with all screen savers.
Go here for my RPi writeup. Basic config, Serial Port add-on etc:
http://blackeagle12.net/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html Click contact icon then world icon --->

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:33 pm

klricks wrote:
adeel88 wrote:After 2 hours of idle time my raspberry-pi turned off. I don't want to turn-off raspberry-pi even its idle for many hours.
The screensaver program cannot do that. The RPi was turned off by some other reason / person.
xscreensaver has a power management option under "Advanced"

klricks

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:05 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
klricks wrote:
xscreensaver has a power management option under "Advanced"
Yes but settings there do not work on a RPi. The RPi has no powersave or hibernate functions.
http://blackeagle12.net/Comp/RPi/Rpi.html Click contact icon then world icon --->

adeel88

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi,

I am using xscreensaver that shows a screensaver after certain idle time period which is fine. What I want another thing is to always remain the raspberry-pi TURN-ON, like what happened now is after 10 minutes screensaver shows which is good but after 4-5 hrs(approx) elapsed my raspberry-pi turn-off/shutdown then I again plug-in the cable and start pi again.

What I want is even when I come next day the screensaver shows (random/black) whatever BUT the raspberry-pi wouldn't turn off. When I tap on that it showed the last state. Can someone guide me?

paulsimmons

Re: STICKY: Howto: Disable Screen Saver In Raspbian

Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 am

I have followed the steps but still having issue to disable the screen saver in Raspbian. Any help would be appreciated.

klricks

Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:15 pm

paulsimmons wrote:
I have followed the steps but still having issue to disable the screen saver in Raspbian. Any help would be appreciated.
What steps? What issues?

Try adding the following 3 lines to autostart:

@xset s noblank
@xset s off
@xset -dpms

sudo nano /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
OR
Install xscreensaver and set mode to [no blanking]

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xscreensaver

BlackPian0

Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:07 pm

# Raspbian Jessie
Add the following line to /etc/rc.local (on the line before the final exit 0)
$ sudo sh -c "TERM=linux setterm -blank 0 >/dev/tty0"

# Raspbian Wheezy
You can disable this by editing /etc/kbd/config and looking for
BLANK_TIME=30

and setting the blank time to 0 (which turns it off)
BLANK_TIME=0

RaspberryPiGuy1971

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 pm

paulsimmons wrote:
Have you installed xscreensaver?

Return to “Beginners”