mrgoodall0

Power

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi,I'm new to all this and ive got my Pi up and running with the Raspbmc software but i cant power it off my tv.I have a Samsung smart tv but it doesnt power the Pi up when i turn it on and i have to plug in the power adapter to the mains.Any help would great,thanks Rob.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Power

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:20 am

Hi,
perhaps I,m missing something, but what help are you expecting? Why do you think that switching on the TV is going to switch on the Pi too?
What you sould be able to do is
with the TV in standby and the Pi not powered....
switch on the power to the Pi
and the TV should come out of standby and switch on and with the correct input selected, ie you can see the raspbmc booting up,
irrespective of which input on the TV was selected before it was last switched on.
Hope this helps,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

wimble

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:44 am

I've got (one of) my Raspberry Pis powered from the USB port on my Samsung TV. I'm using a perfectly normal micro-usb cable, running between the USB port on the TV and the power port on the Pi. I turn the TV on, and the Pi powers up; I turn the TV off, and the Pi (unceremoniously) loses power, and crashes.

I've never checked the voltage levels though, so I have no idea how close I am to minimum voltages or currents.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:02 am

wimble wrote:I've got (one of) my Raspberry Pis powered from the USB port on my Samsung TV. I'm using a perfectly normal micro-usb cable, running between the USB port on the TV and the power port on the Pi. I turn the TV on, and the Pi powers up; I turn the TV off, and the Pi (unceremoniously) loses power, and crashes.

I've nev I turn the TV off, and the Pi (unceremoniously) loses power, and crashes.er checked the voltage levels though, so I have no idea how close I am to minimum voltages or currents.
W.r.t. "I turn the TV off, and the Pi (unceremoniously) loses power, and crashes." : Hopefully you've remembered to "sudo shutdown - h now" (or equivalent) and waited for the green "ACT" LED to stop flashing first - otherwise the "crash" could be permanent! :cry:
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

wimble

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:16 am

FTrevorGowen wrote:W.r.t. "I turn the TV off, and the Pi (unceremoniously) loses power, and crashes." : Hopefully you've remembered to "sudo shutdown - h now" (or equivalent) and waited for the green "ACT" LED to stop flashing first - otherwise the "crash" could be permanent! :cry:
Trev.
I don't actually. And I'm very aware that this is bad practice! I wouldn't recommend that without extra precautions being put in place (and even then, I wouldn't recommend it!)

In my defence, that Pi is, unsurprisingly, running OpenElec, and I've mounted the storage partition (the only writable partition) from an NFS share. So there's no data at risk on the SD Card. I hope that'd protect me from any accidental corruption, and if the non-writable files do corrupt, I can just reinstall from scratch in a matter of minutes (not that I've needed to).

Return to “Beginners”