mohitk117

How to control Windows via Raspberry Pi?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:19 am

Hi!
I bought a new Raspberry Pi off the online store. And I had some questions...

Firstly, how can I set up remote desktop sharing between Raspberry Pi and the Windows 7 PC?
I have teamviewer installed on my win7, and was looking for a similar software. Never used Windows Remote Desktop, but guess that would be good as well. I don't know much about RDP servers and clients for windows or linux. I don't know what SHH means or how to set it up, thought it was just some type of iMac connection. I also don't understand how VPN works or how to set it up either. I've read through pages and gone through the setup processes on a qemu raspbian emulator... but don't seem to get the connection working. I've only tried Rdesktop for remote sharing, but it didn't connect to my machine... I think it got looped back to the emulator os and that's why it couldn't connect... (I'm trying to learn about the features via the qemu emulator before attempting to damage the pi) : Links: [ ::qemu:: ] ... ::Rdesktop:: ]

I also tried to install freerdp, but couldn't install it. Checking their online website, I found that freerdp is available for windows, mac, linux and even iphone/android!

Anyways, I'm trying to setup a remote desktop client/server on both devices, and have searched for quite some days, but haven't been able to find a complete tutorial for both. So am asking here...

Thanks for any help.
-

Oakham

Re: How to control Windows via Raspberry Pi?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:32 am

I presume you have installed Raspbian Wheezy Linux Distribution

This gives an overview of XRDP which may be what you need to get started: http://elinux.org/RPi_XRDP_Server

Also found this: http://www.raspberrypiblog.com/2012/10/ ... -from.html

It is best to synch the Raspbian Wheezy software repositories prior to installing software:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Searching is easy, most questions have been asked before !

mohitk117

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:46 am

remotely control a Raspberry Pi
Thanks for the reply Oakham.. I do have a question: Can I setup Win7 as the client, and control Win7 from a Raspberry Pi?
My intention is to be able to control other local computers on my LAN... And setting up a HDMI TV with raspberry Pi, I intend to control it both ways... the Win7 to Pi, and Pi to Win7... is that possible?

Thanks.

mohitk117

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks Oakham!! I got remmina installed! :)

klricks

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:56 pm

mohitk117 wrote:
remotely control a Raspberry Pi
Thanks for the reply Oakham.. I do have a question: Can I setup Win7 as the client, and control Win7 from a Raspberry Pi?
My intention is to be able to control other local computers on my LAN... And setting up a HDMI TV with raspberry Pi, I intend to control it both ways... the Win7 to Pi, and Pi to Win7... is that possible?

Thanks.
Note that Windows remote desktop is disabled, (and can't be enabled), on any 'home' version of Windows. You can remote from a home version to a RPi or other computer, but not from RPi to Windows...... unless you have a professional version of Windows.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

mohitk117

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:22 am

klricks wrote: Note that Windows remote desktop is disabled, (and can't be enabled), on any 'home' version of Windows. You can remote from a home version to a RPi or other computer, but not from RPi to Windows...... unless you have a professional version of Windows.
I do have the Win7 Pro.... But haven't yet been able to activate internet on the pi... so still haven't tried the rdesktop or remmina.

klricks

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:59 pm

mohitk117 wrote:
klricks wrote: Note that Windows remote desktop is disabled, (and can't be enabled), on any 'home' version of Windows. You can remote from a home version to a RPi or other computer, but not from RPi to Windows...... unless you have a professional version of Windows.
I do have the Win7 Pro.... But haven't yet been able to activate internet on the pi... so still haven't tried the rdesktop or remmina.
You need to have internet or at least your local network set up before trying to connect to the RPi with RDP or SSH etc. In most cases it just works when you connect the network cable from the router to the RPi.
Do you know how your router is set up?
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

mohitk117

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:31 am

klricks wrote:
You need to have internet or at least your local network set up before trying to connect to the RPi with RDP or SSH etc. In most cases it just works when you connect the network cable from the router to the RPi.
Do you know how your router is set up?
I know how my router is set up. The wifi is locked with a password, while direct connection to the router via lan ethernet has no password. My problem is, if I connect the USB mouse+USB Keyboard, there's no way to plug in the wifi adapter + the ethernet connection is not functional..And I tried connecting the logitech MK220 keyboard+mouse with the wifi adapter, but it only worked on the first run. After that the usb mouse+keyboard hasn't functioned properly.

klricks

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Why is the LAN not working?
You need to get a powered USB hub so you plug more USB devices.

Return to “Beginners”