davidbirding

Power input

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi

Not being technical I dont know about this stuff but I've bought a Powergen Mobile Power Pack 9000 to operate the Pi and Pi camera at a remote location to do some timelapse work

When it arrives it has a 2A and 0.6A output, does it matter which I use, will they both work adequately .... how does this work?

Thanks for any help

David

AndrewS

Re: Power input

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:23 pm

The Pi by itself uses 700mA (0.7A) so by the time you add the camera's power consumption too... you'll definitely need to use the 2A output :)

klricks

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 am

AndrewS wrote:The Pi by itself uses 700mA (0.7A) so by the time you add the camera's power consumption too... you'll definitely need to use the 2A output :)
Not exactly.
The RPi itself uses 350 to 400mA or so. Keyboard and mouse add another 150mA or so. The current into the RPi is limited by the fuse F3 to about 750mA. This is for everything including USB ports. Go above that and the RPi and USB devices will not be reliable. Go above 1A or so and the fuse will trip out in a few seconds.

To the OP I would not use the 0.6A port unless you are running 'headless'
Using the 2A ports is fine.
link to power pack:
http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-External ... B008TXFPS2
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

davidbirding

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:07 am

Hi

I will be running this headless using just the Pi and camera with the power unit so may get away with the 0.6A? Which would be useful as it could extend the usable time for time lapse.

Just need to sort the real time clock now so I can stop and start the camera remotely

Thanks for you help

David

rpdom

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:37 am

If you are using 0.6A or less, you should be able to use either port and it won't make any difference to how long the unit lasts.

The ratings on the ports are how much current it can supply, not how much will be required by the device connected to it. If your Pi only needs 550mA, then only 550mA will be taken from the port.

klricks

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:10 pm

davidbirding wrote:Hi

I will be running this headless using just the Pi and camera with the power unit so may get away with the 0.6A? Which would be useful as it could extend the usable time for time lapse.

Just need to sort the real time clock now so I can stop and start the camera remotely

Thanks for you help

David
According to the product description of your battery pack, the included Mirco USB connector is supplied by the 2A output. Is there a reason you wouldn't use that?

I don't know how much power the camera module uses? (I assume you are talking about the RPF camera).
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

pluggy

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:47 am

0.6 amp definitely isn't enough for the Pi with a Pi camera board. The camera board almost doubles the power consumption of the Pi. Its pretty greedy. You might just scape by with 0.6 amps using a camera board with a Model 'A', but not a 'B' .
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “Beginners”