javaboyuk

Re: Getting Sound over HDMI

Tue May 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Has anyone got the sound to come out of there TV?

Ie plugged in the HDMI cable into their TV played a video or MP3 and

got the sound out of the TV?

Many thanks

abishur

Tue May 08, 2012 4:07 pm

yep, got it playing videos, video games, and just plain music
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

lufflumh

Tue May 08, 2012 6:42 pm

the sound doesn't work on my pi either so if anyone has anything helpful to say would be good to hear from you.

abishur

Tue May 08, 2012 6:57 pm

sudo modprobe snd-bcm2835
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

pinovice

Tue May 08, 2012 7:02 pm

I have not got sound working on my HDMI monitor but have never tried it for audio before. I had great difficulty in getting audio working on the 3.5mm socket and had to read loads of posts to find out things about alsa, the alsa mixer, sudo modprobe snd_bcm2835, sudo amixer cset numid=3 1. etc. etc.

Also had great difficulty getting access to the pi from my windows network. Again had to read loads of posts from various places to learn about samba and how to configure it.

I know that the pi is supposed to be a device to learn on but I really think the sound and networking ought to work out of the box with the recommended debian squeeze set-up.

Whilst I have got sound out of the 3.5mm socket, a 128k sample rate MP3 breaks up and crackles a lot so maybe I have more reading to do.

I do have another HDMI monitor that I have used with HDMI audio in the past and will try that with the Raspberry pi and report back here.

There is a lot of helpful information around but much of it is from debian users who don"t actually have a physical Raspberry pi and know their way round Linux far better than us newcomers.

The information for beginners really needs to be improved. I still can"t work out what I should do to change the HDMI output resolution. I have discovered that I need to amend a config.txt file (which does not actually exist until you create it) and then enter various parameters which at the moment are confusing me!

Once I have the basic pi working, I can then get on to the programming of it!

I see that Abishur has posted the sudo modprobe info as I was writing this - it might help you!

jbeale

Tue May 08, 2012 7:23 pm

PiNovice said:

I know that the pi is supposed to be a device to learn on but I really think the sound and networking ought to work out of the box with the recommended debian squeeze set-up.

I think most people would agree with you! You have the luck, or misfortune, to be a very early adopter of what is at the moment the first run of a development board. There is a planned "educational" release, including a case and documentation and lesson plans and more generally polished, which will be forthcoming, date to be announced, maybe towards the end of the year (at least that's my impression).

From what has been posted here, the current board was originally intended for developers (and brave early-adopters) who would be able to write software, drivers and documentation to fledge out the many unfinished areas. In my own opinion it is not yet ready for end-users expecting even a basic set of things to "just work" out of the box (some do, and some do not, often depending on your individual setup, specific monitor, kb, mouse, power supply etc). Whether by accident or design, the developer release got more attention than expected and much of the global publicity ignored the "work in progress - for developers" part. At least, this is my impression. I'm just a reader of these forums, not a foundation member and not yet a Pi owner. Although I'll buy yours at full list price, if you don't want it.

jbeale

Tue May 08, 2012 7:25 pm

By the way, in case you haven't already checked it, there is some troubleshooting help here: http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

If you find something useful that isn't there, feel free to add it!

pinovice

Tue May 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks jbeale - that dite has already helped me.

pinovice

Tue May 08, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks jbeale – that site has already helped me.

Sorry about the double post – seems I am an unintentional guinea pig!

javaboyuk

Tue May 08, 2012 11:55 pm

Guys thank you, so it is possible to send audio over the HDMI output then!

I will connect it to my surround amp when it arrives so I can get great

audio as well as images! Sounds like I am going to me in for some fun

getting a program written to play music from my collection through

my surround amp!

Again thanks for letting me know people have it working.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed May 09, 2012 6:47 am

Was working fine when I tested OpenELEC last night - on a HDMI monitor (not TV) with a headphone socket. Wasn't expecting it to work, but it did.

However, that's a specific media playing distro. A basic Debian needs little more work I believe. But it should work eventually. Note that the audio drivers are still alpha quality.

You are not a guinea pig - everyone is!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

pinovice

Wed May 09, 2012 4:14 pm

OK – tried audio from the raspberry pi over HDMI with my other monitor and that produced no sound either until I created the config.txt file in the boot directory and created the line:

hdmi_drive=2

This apparently forces the pi to send the audio over HDMI to monitors/TV"s that don"t handshake their capabilities in the way that the Raspberry pi would like.

Now on to trying to get a sensible mixer! The volume is either deafening/loud/off at the moment – looking for some more discrete steps!

Dennis

Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Now on to trying to get a sensible mixer! The volume is either deafening/loud/off at the moment – looking for some more discrete steps!
I have the same Issue with HDMI sound. You found any solution to this?

RandomCoder

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Please take a look at my post to see if it helps solve you're problem, HDMI Sound Issues. I've tried to consolidate everything I've done to-date to solve the sound issues I've had.

Regards,
RandomCoder
"Defeat never comes to any man until he admits it."Josephus Daniels

Return to “Beginners”