Frejoh466

NOOBS wont start.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:43 am

I have read the guide and the wiki, but I still can't get it to work. Every time I download NOOBS_v1_2_1.zip/NOOBS_v1_2_1.zip.torrent and use Win32DiskImager.exe run as admin and write the "recovery.img" to the SD card it unformat my SD card and make it useless.

The SD card is a scandic 32gb class 10 and I have used 3 different programs and the CMD command to completely remove everything from the SD card, and formated it. I format it as fat32.

RaTTuS

Re: NOOBS wont start.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:45 am

sounds like you are doing it wrong
noobs images only needs to be unziped and written to the fat partition like a file copy
raspbian needs to be written as an image to the device using win32diskimager
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

DeeJay

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 am

I agree with @RaTTuS.

Follow these instructions from the Downloads page.
Full instructions can be found in our quick start guide, but in summary you will need to:

Format your SD card using the SD Card Association’s formatting tool.
Download and unpack the NOOBS zip file onto the SD card
There are some screenshots showing this process available here - http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... allXP.html - thanks to @FTrevor Gowen for preparing these.

Do not try to use Win32DiskImager.exe to prepare a NOOBS installer card, and do not separate the individual files from the NOOBS zip archive - they are all needed.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Frejoh466

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:23 am

First time I just extracted the zip to the SD card I just got loads of errors when I started it in RPI. Then I might have read the part on "Raw Images" and followed that...

Ok then how to I fix this error when I first start the RPI after I just copy the extracted zip to the memory card.

"error resizing exiting fat partition.
warning you are attempting to use /etc/sbin/patred to operate (resizing ) a file system.
[more text]"

Thats what I keep getting. Anyone know why?

DeeJay

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:41 am

Did you do Step 1 before copying the unzipped files on to the SD card?
1. Format your SD card using the SD Card Association’s formatting tool.
Details of how to use it are on Page 3 of the Quick Start Guide.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Frejoh466

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 am

DeeJay wrote:Did you do Step 1 before copying the unzipped files on to the SD card?
1. Format your SD card using the SD Card Association’s formatting tool.
Details of how to use it are on Page 3 of the Quick Start Guide.
Yes, I also did change the option. I have tried 3 different programs (the on the guide says is included) and the reguler Windows one + the cmd command;

diskpart
list disk
select disk [number]
clean
create partition primary
format fs=fat32 quick
exit

Edit:
I have had Weezly before and had no problem, decided to go to NOOBS so I can have an regular OS and XBMC on the same memory card.

DeeJay

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:59 am

I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas.
Frejoh466 wrote: Edit:
I have had Weezly before and had no problem, decided to go to NOOBS so I can have an regular OS and XBMC on the same memory card.
In case it affects your plans, to be pedantic you can at any one time have either a regular OS or one of the xbmc-based systems on the memory card. Changing from one to the other involves overwriting the system on the SD card, while the NOOBS installer itself remains intact.

Frejoh466

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:15 am

DeeJay wrote:I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas.
Frejoh466 wrote: Edit:
In case it affects your plans, to be pedantic you can at any one time have either a regular OS or one of the xbmc-based systems on the memory card. Changing from one to the other involves overwriting the system on the SD card, while the NOOBS installer itself remains intact.
Well it was worth a try.

But I can split the memory card to 2 partitions, and then be able to boot to ether the OS or the XBMC? but then I would need something like a boot.ini file where I can chose to boot to G:\ or H:\ there one have to regular OS and the other one have the XBMC. But I guess that doesn't exist.

EDIT:
Btw, here is the error(and yes I have tried scandisk)

DeeJay

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:14 am

Frejoh466 wrote: But I can split the memory card to 2 partitions, and then be able to boot to ether the OS or the XBMC? but then I would need something like a boot.ini file where I can chose to boot to G:\ or H:\ there one have to regular OS and the other one have the XBMC. But I guess that doesn't exist.
I've never used it, but it sounds like Berryboot.
For people short on SD cards: Berryboot is a simple boot selection screen, allowing you to put multiple Linux distribution on a single SD card.
In addition it allows you to put the operating system files on an external USB hard drive instead of on the SD card itself.

Frejoh466

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:39 am

DeeJay wrote:
Frejoh466 wrote: But I can split the memory card to 2 partitions, and then be able to boot to ether the OS or the XBMC? but then I would need something like a boot.ini file where I can chose to boot to G:\ or H:\ there one have to regular OS and the other one have the XBMC. But I guess that doesn't exist.
I've never used it, but it sounds like Berryboot.
For people short on SD cards: Berryboot is a simple boot selection screen, allowing you to put multiple Linux distribution on a single SD card.
In addition it allows you to put the operating system files on an external USB hard drive instead of on the SD card itself.
Well I was hoping on a simple way to use RaspBMC, but I guess Openelec will work for now.

Thanks for the help anyway.

RaTTuS

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:46 am

you can get xbmc to run under raspbian...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

gsh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Ah, it says the FATs don't match, this is usually because when the data was written to the card the first FAT was written to the card, but the second copy is usually ignored (there are two copies for redundancy reasons)

I'd be interested in how you wrote to the SD card originally, which OS did you use to do it and did you problem eject / unmount the card before removing it?

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD
Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

Antonixd

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Hello,
I have trouble getting Noobs to work. I get the same Error Popup after booting.

This is my setup: Tested on 2 SD Cards I successfully installed and run stand-alone Raspbmc on both cards. The setup was no problem and I using Raspbmc on the Pi worked like a charm.

After running stand-alone Raspbmc I wanted to try the NOOBS_v1_3_2.

As suggested in the quick start guide V2_1 I format the sd card with SDFomatter. I choose the option "Overwrite Format" After the formatting is complete I eject the SD-card and pull it out. Now I put the SD-card back in. Now I extract NOOBS_v1_3_2.zip. I multiselect all extracted files and drag the files to the SD-Card Item in the left menubar and drop them there.
  • .DS_Store
    bootcode.bin
    BUILD-DATA
    defaults
    INSTRUCTIONS-README.txt
    os
    RECOVERY_FILES_DO_NOT_EDIT
    recovery.cmdline
    recovery.elf
    recovery.img
    recovery.rfs
    riscos-boot.bin
Now I can put the SD Card in my Raspberry PI. The Raspberry is connected with a HDMI cable, Ethernet cable and a usb keyboard. Now I plug the usb power plug in. On my monitor I see a little loader and that the PI is now trying to expand the file system. After that I get the Error PopUp with the message: […] Error: The FATs dont match […]
I hit enter and I can now choose which OS I want to install. At the bottom I see that there are 0MB available space, so I can't install anything.
I put the sd card back into my laptop and start a mac systemtool. Disk Utility. Here I can select the sd card and try to repair it. I took a screenshot right after i pressed repair volume.
Now I eject the sd-card and remove it from my laptop. I put it back to the Raspberry Pi and plug the power in. Now I get the same error as before…
Has anyone an idea what went wrong or what else I can do? I dont really understand what "The FATs dont match" means and how to solve this…

Antonixd

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:57 pm

it works now, I don't know what was the problem… I did it again like I described above and now it works.

Rubus arcticus

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:09 am

I too am brand new to Raspberry Pi and experienced precisely the same problem. After reading this thread I found that I had not returned to the disk utility after formatting and transferring the NOOBS files to the sd card. I am using a 2007 macbook and was forced to use version 3.1 of the sd formatter. When I opened the disk utility all appeared normal but verifying and repairing the sd card appears to have been the solution. On a second card which came preloaded with NOOBS I observed that despite erasing and reformatting there was no available space on the sd card when viewed in disk utility.

Thanks for your help, glad it seems like it is now working. For mac users it seems like repairing the disc is a good step prior to launching noobs.

gsh

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:57 am

Antonixd wrote:Stuff...

Hi, sorry I didn't notice this before... I'd like to get a copy of some to the partition information on the card... (Basically I just want to be able to reproduce the partition setup you've got so I can fix the problem with NOOBS)

Can you do the following:

1) Repeat the steps you did before, do the format and copy the files onto the SD card and boot, check that you can still reproduce the problem.
2) Repeat the steps, but don't copy the files onto the SD card, just do the format
3) run Terminal

Code: Select all

imac:~ ls /dev/disk*
/dev/disk0          /dev/disk0s1     /dev/disk1
/dev/disk0s0     /dev/disk0s2     /dev/disk1s0
Plug / unplug the SD card to see which disk it is (but it'll probably be the highest numbered one) then do:

Code: Select all

imac:~ sudo dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.img bs=512 count=2048
This will do a copy of the low level parts of the disk (it's important that you do /dev/disk1 not /dev/disk1s0) to a file (it should be 1MB in size) can you upload to dropbox and post it?

Thanks

Gordon

[/code]
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

postaberry

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:38 am

Had the same issue whilst formatting SD card via Macbook.

Plugged SD card back into Macbook, opened Disk Utility application, selected the SD card and clicked 'Repair Disk'

Ejected SD Card, put it back in RPI, booted up and the error was gone

bobbeh

Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:26 pm

Same issue for me.
I downloaded the latest NOOBS 1.4.0 from the torrent.
Repeated the process twice now, followed the steps in the NOOBS INSTRUCTIONS-README.txt file.
Formatted with the SD formatter program, I'm using a Macbook Pro OSX 10.9.

Same Error both times.
Error resizing existing FAT partition
WARNING: you are attempting to use /usr/sbin/parted to operate on (resize) a file system.
/usr/sbin/parted's file system manipulation code is not as robist as what you'll find in dedicated, file-system-specific pages like e2fsprogs. We recommend you use /usr/sbin/parted only to manipulate partition tables, whenever possible.
Support for performing most operations on most types of file systems will be removed un an upcoming release.
Error: The FATs don't match. If you don't know what this means, then select cancel, run scandisk on the file system, and then come back.
OSX doesn't have scandisk, I tried repair in the Disk Utility it said everything was fine.
Same error when i rebooted PI.

I then decided to skip the step about using the SD formatter.
It seems I was right to do so. I instead formatted with OSX Disk Utility, selected 1 partition, MS-DOS FAT and Master Boot Record, copied over the NOOBS files inserted into PI and BOOM.
It works fine.

So maybe there's an issue with the OSX version of the SD Formatter?

gsh

Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:21 pm

If you've got the time, it'd be good to reproduce the error with an image, basically, follow the steps you had to make the failing card and then before plugging into the pi do the following:

dd if=/dev/rdiskn of=file.img bs=1m count=150

(Replace rdiskn with whichever your SD card is, I usually use 'diskutil list' to tell me)

Upload the file to dropbox and send me a link, at least then I can reproduce the problem...

Gordon
--
Gordon Hollingworth PhD

ggusta

Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:13 pm

great googly moogly, what a ridiculous pita this has been, but ...

I may have found a solution

After untold re-formats that were to no avail, i re-read the error that says the two fat's weren't compatible...so i said, well maybe it wants exfat, reformatted as exfat and of course it didn't work at all, it wouldn't do anything, so I knew it needed to be fat.

So when I went back and re-formatted as fat, then it saw the full size of the sd card and proceeded normally.

I don't know why, and at the moment I have a headache from fussing over this so I don't want to know why it got so confused, but trying to format to exfat then formatting to fat did the trick. ( I am using windows. I just used the windows utility that is part of windows os to format to exfat)

In a few hours sufficient caffeine, ibuprofen and aspirin should make me right again.

ffs!!!

adilmohammed2000

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:55 am

Try using Windows Formatter. Mine worked fine by this step.

turk187

Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:46 pm

For those having the "Fats don't match" problem

I went through a bunch of different attempts to fix this problem - formating over and over, scandisk, bunches of things. Then, I fixed the problem by doing one thing different - Instead of just pulling the card adapter out of the USB slot, I actually "Ejected" after that it worked fine.

GavinD

Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 pm

I had this problem, till I read elsewhere that the Label used for the SD can be a problem.
Must only use UPPER case letters.
For me it was using Label "R-PI NOOBS" that was the problem, presumably the "-"
Changed it to "NOOBS" and all OK :D

Return to “Beginners”