Inquisitor

weird RDP Problem

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi,

I have a freshly installed raspbian (via noobs). It is connected via cable to my lan, the hdmi output connects to a LG TV-screen.
Here comes the Problem: When I start a RDP Session (from Win7PC) to my Pi (XRDP; login:pi, pwd raspberry), I can logon and work on the Pi, but nothing happens on the TV screen.
Browsers opened via rdp don´t show up on the TV-Screen... I thought of a freezer, but the CPU-indicator on the TV-Screen keeps updating. Nothing at the TV changes, even when I quit the rdp.
Vice-Versa: I plug a keyboard directly to the pi and open a browser window. Then I start rdp, The browser windows is at the TV-Screen, but not in my rdp session.

I thought of different users or something, but I have not even touched the users administration. -> besides the xrdp configuration all is as originally installed. As I´m not very familiar with Linux administation and structures I guess the Problem may be a pretty basic one...

Any Ideas? Thanks!!!

klricks

Re: weird RDP Problem

Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:11 pm

This is normal. The RDP session(s) are completely independent of the main session. Be sure to properly log out of your RDP session or you could leave multiple sessions running on the RPi.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

itimpi

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:54 am

For what you are trying to achieve you might be better running a VNC Server on the Pi and then connect using a VNC client rather than a RDP client. Performance is likely to be worse though as VNC does use as efficient a protocol as RDP for handling the GUI display information.

Inquisitor

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:59 am

klricks wrote:This is normal. The RDP session(s) are completely independent of the main session. Be sure to properly log out of your RDP session or you could leave multiple sessions running on the RPi.
My bad feelings were right :-( I think I am to much Windows infested...

Inquisitor

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:03 am

itimpi wrote:For what you are trying to achieve you might be better running a VNC Server on the Pi and then connect using a VNC client rather than a RDP client. Performance is likely to be worse though as VNC does use as efficient a protocol as RDP for handling the GUI display information.
I will try.
I dont´want to work on the pi. I just want to use it to permanently show a website on the TV-screen. I need only to access the pi for maintenance, so low performance is not a problem.
Or ist there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!!!

HerbyNL

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:10 am

Have a look at x11vnc with display 0 should give you what you want. BTW RDP is a TS client so you never take over the screen ;)

http://codechief.wordpress.com/2013/07/ ... th-x11vnc/

Inquisitor

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:55 pm

HerbyNL wrote:Have a look at x11vnc with display 0 should give you what you want. BTW RDP is a TS client so you never take over the screen ;)
You are absolutely right. I used the wrong wording. :? RDP ist not a RC-session. But if I log on hardwired or via rdp to a win system with the same user account I will get (almost) the same desktop. With files, open windows an so on.
I think I just underestimated the pi...
I will check the vnc.

Thanks!!!

Return to “Beginners”