gritz

Re: First impressions - Slow, Scary & unfriendly

Wed May 30, 2012 8:21 pm

I suppose that in the long term there will be positives to take from all this.

For many of us that have an expertise in any particular field it's very difficult to remember what it was like to be a newbie. Give a beta (or possibly alpha) product to boffins and a bug (or feature!) that a normal human would consider to be a showstopper may seem trivial to them. Or perhaps some techies may not be that good at writing detailed bug reports or help files. Perhaps someone that is more acquainted with hardware may be able to point out glaring useability issues in the software interface that their programming colleagues have just become accustomed to. Bear in mind also that some smart folks are just plain rude and shouldn't be allowed within a mile of customers! A development team has to be be picked for it's strengths and skillfully managed.

Which is why it's unfortunate that the initial "development" run made it into the wild.

!0,000 for a public beta? How are you supposed to co-ordinate that? It also suggests that someone was sure that the hardware was ready for primetime. A closed testing cycle to refine the hardware and software was really needed. It would have increased costs, but would have reduced grief immensely - as well as allowing the media hype to dissipate, thus ensuring that more of the devices ended up in the hands of those who would have half an idea of what they were actually capable of.

Of course, some will argue that the Pi was only ever destined for the classroom. While it's true that in it's present hardware form, bundled a good quality, correct class SD card loaded with mature software and it's USB loaded with only a basic keyboard and mouse, that it will be great little device, but this fact makes the concept of releasing it into the wild (where it was clear that many end users were misguidedly hoping for an awesome media player requiring no skill to set up / multicore performance / the ability to run Windows / the presence of A/D converters, old Uncle Tom Cobley and all) even more hard to understand. Remember that if all consumers ever bothered to properly research the products that they were considering purchasing then advertising (and thus most of the internet) would probably come apart like a cheap watch. Sometimes you have to ask yourself: "Will letting the average consumer get their hands on my product in it's present state be anything more than a bloody liability?"

Finally, there do seem to be elements within the open source community with just too much of a mend-and-make-do attitude. All applications, whether bought and paid for, or just someone's "gift to the world" should be subject to the same evolutionary pressures, which is why I applaud the Foundation's decision to bail on Fedora as the default flavour as quickly as they did.

bigsi111

Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 pm

gritz wrote:While it's true that in it's present hardware form, bundled a good quality, correct class SD card loaded with mature software and it's USB loaded with only a basic keyboard and mouse, that it will be great little device
This was exactly what I thought I was buying and guess what, it's what I got.

So I don't understand how others got so confused...

The_Saint

Wed May 30, 2012 9:58 pm

My pi arrived this morning, didn't get in until gone 9PM due to a 5K race, whilst I was cooking my tea (pasta) I got the laptop to write the Debian install on to the SD card, plugged everything in and it booted up first time and I was browsing this forum staggered at how quick it was (in read mode - logging in and writing is a different matter).

Basically on a scale of difficulty cooking my tea was a harder technical challenge, anyone who thinks otherwise maybe isn't quite as clever as they imagine?

felix123

Thu May 31, 2012 2:34 am

obarthelemy wrote:
The Pi is NOT:
1- a Windows PC. No flavour of Windows (95, 98, XP, 7, 8, RT, CE...) runs, nor will ever run, on the Pi.
Windows 3.1 does run, at pretty good speed too. ;)

hippy

Thu May 31, 2012 9:41 am

gritz wrote:!0,000 for a public beta?
More like 200,000 and probably more. Farnell and RS are committed to pushing out "developer boards" to anyone who is willing to pay for one. Many will understand exactly what it is they are buying but others will not.
gritz wrote:A closed testing cycle to refine the hardware and software was really needed. It would have increased costs, but would have reduced grief immensely
It would have also delayed the public launch. There was tremendous pressure from the public to launch sooner rather than later, more demand than the Foundation could initially imagine.

It's a tough call; allow an unlimited "developer board" release to the public or hold off public launch until the finished product. There are pro's and con's to each and only history will judge if the call made was the right one.

benedict3578

Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:Really, seriously, no offense to the OP, but...

I don't think he is in the intended group for this release.  I mean, seriously, isn't it posted all over the place that this is the developer's release? (And that a better, more complete, more-like-Windows release is coming and will be available at some point down the road).

Anyway, that's what every word in his text screams out to me.
Yes, I agree with you. This really is the Dev release, so people with one who are new to computing proberbly shouldent be using one yet. Perhaps you should wait till they release the box edition later on before buying one.
Languages: Java, JavaScript, C#, .NET/VB6, HTML/XHTML, CSS
Computers: iMac, Acer Aspire, Raspberry Pi
My Job: I Make iPhone Apps for People
Website - http://appdragondev.com
Email - [email protected]
App - http://appdragondev.com/redirect/bl/

Joe Schmoe

Thu May 31, 2012 12:49 pm

benedict3578 wrote:Perhaps the OP should have waited till they release the box edition later on before buying one.
Fixed your post for you. No charge (this time!)
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

grumpyoldgit

Thu May 31, 2012 12:57 pm

I'm looking forward to the extended DVD with extras and commentary.

Nathan Scott

Thu May 31, 2012 1:15 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote:I got my HDMI/DVI cable from Amazon for just over £2.
I know this is off topic, but it's my new fave sport, baiting spotty hifi shop keepers.
On the subject of HDMI cables...
Even at techie shops like Maplin an HDMI cable costs at least £20-30. ITS JUST A BIT OF WIRE. And yes, they're either bunged in free or on t'Interweb for a few sheckels.
Here's the fun part...
Go to a posh (ie expensive) HiFi shop and they're EVEN MORE expensive.
Me: Why are your HDMI cables so ludicrously expensive?
Spotty Shop Boy: Ah well, ours use high quality copper so the signal quality is better.
Me: It's digital.
SSP: Err sorry you're losing me.
Me: Quality matters for an analogue signal not a digital one. It gets there or it doesn't.
SPP: Ahh but ours are shielded.
Me: It's in the spec. It's either an HDMI cable or it isn't.
SSP: Err, excuse me whilst I just serve a more gullible customer/RTFM/go back to school etc etc etc

Daylight robbery if you ask me, and I haven't even started on bankers yet.

JetsetWilly

Thu May 31, 2012 3:03 pm

Nathan Scott wrote: Even at techie shops like Maplin an HDMI cable costs at least £20-30. .
Wrong
Bought a basic cable on Tuesday for £5.99 works fine

next ??

tufty

Thu May 31, 2012 3:50 pm

I'm sure you've seen this one : http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedic ... B000I1X6PM

Someone's been having "fun" with the prices, but this is, in fact, a bog-stock ethernet patch cable (and not a very long one) which has had some audiophile mumbo-jumbo waved over it and thus retails for 500 of your earth pounds.

Hi-la-ri-ous.

Simon

Joe Schmoe

Thu May 31, 2012 4:00 pm

tufty wrote:I'm sure you've seen this one : http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedic ... B000I1X6PM

Someone's been having "fun" with the prices, but this is, in fact, a bog-stock ethernet patch cable (and not a very long one) which has had some audiophile mumbo-jumbo waved over it and thus retails for 500 of your earth pounds.

Hi-la-ri-ous.

Simon
Yes, very good. Be sure to read the comments about the adverse effects of listening to music that arrives at faster than the speed of light.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

ikesmasher

Thu May 31, 2012 9:07 pm

and the ones that say this cable allows you to contact the astronauts in the international space station, and the one that said created a disruption in the space time continuum in his living room that sucked up everything including his dog.

Return to “Beginners”