ryancorf

Rainbow Splash Screen.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi!

I'm a complete novice when it comes to RPi, but whenever i boot up my Pi, all i get is the rainbow colour splash screen (the one you're meant to get as part of the new firmware to check the kernel is okay (Apparently!) but mine stays on.. I've left it for over 10 minutes once to see if it just needed time... but if I unplug it and plug it back in a few times, it will work sometimes..

anyone else having this problem? or someone knows what I'm doing wrong.. or a fix for it?

I have got a Raspberry Pi Model B, a 8GB Class 10 SD card (came as a package with the Pi), power supply that was bought specifically for the Pi, and I am trying to install RaspBMC.

skidoobond

Re: Rainbow Splash Screen.

Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:49 am

I have seen this when the Pi is having trouble with HDMI. It usually means there is a problem with my cable or the TV was on the wrong channel when the Pi booted. You can try a few things that I have had success, a new HDMI cable, a different video input on the TV, making sure the TV is ready before booting, and using the analog video output on the Pi to the TV. On a good boot, you shouldn't see the rainbow at all. You should see the Pi logo on the top left then a bunch of text.

Burngate

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:47 am

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting and scroll down to Coloured Splash screen.
That splash screen shows that Start.elf is loaded and running, but the kernel is not

For it to be an HDMI problem, your monitor would have to be hanging on to the last image it found after the kernel started loading and changed the screen parameters.
You could try (temporarily) putting hdmi_safe=1 in your config.txt. If that cured it, go through the HDMI parameters in config.txt (after removing hdmi_safe=1) to see what it wants

If it sometimes works, then it's probably not a corrupted download, though it might be worth downloading the image again, and reflashing your SD card.
The clothes-peg test could tell you if the SD card isn't seating correctly, though if it always gets to the splash screen, then it's unlikely to be that.

Although you bought the power supply specifically for your Pi, nevertheless this could be causing your problem.
The only way to check is to use a multimeter to measure the voltage across TP1 & TP2

ryancorf

Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks for the reply guys!

Another thing i have noticed.. might just be a coincidence but its as if my pi is overheating when it wont boot, so if i try to boot it straight after shutting it down, it will show the rainbow screen.. but if i havn't used it for about 10 minutes or so it will work fine.. I have no idea what this means :S

stefaanbolle

Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:15 pm

I have the same issue, also with a 512MB model B. I also think about a heating issue. Very annoying when using headless remotely and requiring a reboot. The video is hdmi to dvo on a hp monitor.

Return to “Beginners”