Rando

got my raspberry yesterday - many questions

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Hello guys,

yesterday my Raspberry Pi RBCA000 Mainboard (ARM 1176JZF-S) arrived and I was all excited about setting it up, but ended up reading hours of linux stuff which basically told me nothing :lol:

So I'll try to get some help here (I've read the beginners guide, and managed to install Raspbian with NOOBS)

What do I want to do?
90% of time I will only use it to stream movies or TV shows via internet (streaming sites like movie2k)
The other 10% would be streaming from my NAS (if possible) or downloading (with some DL manager such as jdownloader)

Now to the problems I encountered yesterday.
I have to admit, I have never used Linux before, and most problem solutions I have read were starting at some point way beyond my understanding.

- I would like to have a display resolution of 1920x1080. The raspberry only offers me something like 18xx x 9xx. I have read something about overscan in the rasp-config. Tried it, but in the rasp-config I only can enable or disable overscan, which seems to have no effect on the resolution.

- When streaming online movies in most cases Flash is required. This was a bit frustrating, because I've seen so many guides on how to add Flash to Midori, but none of them made it understandable for me first time linux user. I've downloaded some .install files (which only contained code), no idea how to open/install them. I've read about some debian repository, but couldn't even figure out what this one really does. The more I read, the more questions occured

- I didn't even search for connecting my NAS :lol:

Hope somebody can help me get this running

topguy

Re: got my raspberry yesterday - many questions

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Forget flash and forget browsers, reinstall NOOBS and choose to install OpenElec or Raspbmc instead.

Now you can google for guides to get your streaming sites (and NAS) into XBMC instead.

ghans

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Flash and Silverlight are not available on the Pi.
The open-source "alternatives" are too slow and buggy.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

itimpi

Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:29 pm

If you are not getting 1080p resolution then that probably means that your display (TV?) does not correctly report that it can support it. There is a sticky thread at the top of the beginners forum section about entries you can put into the config.txt file on the boot partition to force particular HDMI modes when the auto-detection code does not give the desired results. It also tells you how you can use the tvservice command to find out what the display is reporting.

Rando

Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I have installed raspbmc now, solved the resolution problem, but yet I only managed to watch youtube videos with it.

Configuring my own streaming sites seems quite complicated, and I often need to use google to find streaming sites which I guess isn't possible with this solution.

So I'd prefer a desktop interface like I had before. Are the images provided by NOOBS the only one possible to install on the raspberry? Is there any possibility to use something like ubuntu 13.10 booted from a usb stick (or from the sd card)?

ghans

Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:27 pm

Dual or Multiboot is possible via BerryBoot. NOOBS overwrites whichever OS
you were previously running.

There was some discussion on merging BerryBoot and NOOBS functionality
AFAIK.

Ubuntu will never run on the Pi. Canonical themselves have made clear that
they simply aren't interested.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Rando

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:02 pm

So, which OS provided by NOOBS would be best suitable for the use of browsers and flash?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Rando wrote:So, which OS provided by NOOBS would be best suitable for the use of browsers and flash?
Flash isn't well supported on ARM based devices, but for general browsing Raspbian would be the best option.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

itimpi

Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:07 pm

Rando wrote:So, which OS provided by NOOBS would be best suitable for the use of browsers and flash?
Raspbian is probably the best to use as it has the most support.

The Pi cannot run flash. It is closed source and Adobe have never produced a version compatible with the Pi processor.

Return to “Beginners”