Montala

Re: where do pre-absolute beginners go?

Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 am

Abishur said:

side note, lead time for getting the pi at this point is 2 months due to the *immense* demand for the pi before it was even fully released.

Hi Abishur,

On reading your post again, some people might get the impression that you are saying that anyone ordering one now will receiver it in two months time, which is surely not the case.

For example, I ordered mine (in the UK) on 7th March, and I am currently being quoted the end of June for delivery.

They must have received many thousand, or even tens of thousand, orders since then and I thought it had already been said that the current waiting period will in fact be nearer three months.

If what you say is correct then a lot of us might well receive ours earlier than we expected, which would be good!

meltwater

Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 am

I imagine the whole lead time will be greatly reduced once they have things running, it takes a lot to switch over to large scale production to start with.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

coconell

Fri May 04, 2012 9:12 am

titanoman said:

Okay. Went to the Farnell place, registered my interest.
Then I got to an option to "pre-order" the "b board".
But upon clicking on that, I pretty much go right back to the "express your interest" page.
I see some fine print, addressing those that have pre-ordered, that they will be notified soon about delivery dates.
But I don"t know if I have pre-ordered or not. I don"t think I have, as I haven"t given them a credit card no or anything.
Just my e-mail and phone #.
I guess I"ll call the 9-5 number tomorrow.

I haven"t read much about this thing.
And what I have, the specs, don"t mean much to a computer illiterate guy like myself.
(except a few numbers, like 256mb)

But for $25 or $35 (I guess I want "the bundle"), I can"t lose even if I never figure it out.
(I could always carry it around and tell people I built it myself and use some tech-sounding words like "Dual-core Qualcomm Arm v7 Scorpion 1.5 gig self-bootstrapping side-loader with a factory bloat-reducing Nandroid scaled back to an over-clocked sync of 8bits per byte after sending the systemic ping to no less than 118mb/s at -113dbm after using the Logcat command". All my friends wouldn"t know the difference anyways).

Anyways, I am really interested in heating this thing

coconell

Fri May 04, 2012 9:16 am

titanoman said:

Okay. Went to the Farnell place, registered my interest.
Then I got to an option to "pre-order" the "b board".
But upon clicking on that, I pretty much go right back to the "express your interest" page.
I see some fine print, addressing those that have pre-ordered, that they will be notified soon about delivery dates.
But I don"t know if I have pre-ordered or not. I don"t think I have, as I haven"t given them a credit card no or anything.
Just my e-mail and phone #.
I guess I"ll call the 9-5 number tomorrow.

I haven"t read much about this thing.
And what I have, the specs, don"t mean much to a computer illiterate guy like myself.
(except a few numbers, like 256mb)

3 Things.

1. As and absolute beginner I would be grateful for a check list of additional hardware I need e.g. cables, sd card???

2. There is mention of a wiki but where is its address?

3. Do I need to register separately for the new forum as it does not seem to accept my password for this one.

But for $25 or $35 (I guess I want "the bundle"), I can"t lose even if I never figure it out.
(I could always carry it around and tell people I built it myself and use some tech-sounding words like "Dual-core Qualcomm Arm v7 Scorpion 1.5 gig self-bootstrapping side-loader with a factory bloat-reducing Nandroid scaled back to an over-clocked sync of 8bits per byte after sending the systemic ping to no less than 118mb/s at -113dbm after using the Logcat command". All my friends wouldn"t know the difference anyways).

Anyways, I am really interested in heating this thing

Grumpy Mike

Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Montala wrote:SN said:

Maybe someone will do one of these...
I for one wish they would, as I am sure it would sell a hell of a lot of copies.

Something like this is badly needed,
Odd you should say that because this is in the works
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raspberry-For-D ... 719&sr=8-1
It is not out yet, probably early in the new year.

Return to “Beginners”