titanoman

Re: where do pre-absolute beginners go?

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:36 pm

All I know, is a guy in an Android forum said this would be a good place to learn about computers.
I think I want to get on a waiting list to get one of these things?
How do I get to a place like that from a place like this?
Thank you

abishur

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:40 pm

On the front page at the top right is some text that says "Where to buy" you can pre-order from either Farnell or RS Components (once you're there make sure to pick your country ) at this point in time they *might* only let you express your interest, but that will get you in the queue to order one
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

abishur

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:42 pm

side note, lead time for getting the pi at this point is 2 months due to the *immense* demand for the pi before it was even fully released.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

titanoman

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:11 am

Okay. I read the FAQs, albeit hastily.
So this little guy will help me to understand computers/programming?
all I know right now is a little bit about android. I"ve rooted 1 and I bricked 1. I have a top end Samsung right now, and would be afraid to try to root it.
I want to learn how to flash a custom rom, how a kernal works, and maybe create a web page.
I was a carpender for 30 years until the last house put me in a wheelchair.
so I never had to learn how a computer works before.
I need to find something to occupy my time.
thank you very much

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:09 am

Sounds about right for you, and the price certainly shouldn't be a problem, especially if you have an LCD TV, or a monitor with DVI-D input.

Bricking it isn't a problem, but currently you also need a PC to program the SD-cards for it, although theoretically you can plug a card–reader into your PI to do that, I do not think that at this point in time that is possible just yet, and if you brick it you can simply use a second SD-card to boot again.

The rapsberry PI is designed to help kids learn the basic concepts of programming.

But as its based on Linux, there are masses of things to experiment with, without fear of breaking something. If it "bricks" you just re-flash the SD-card, or use another one.

I suspect that R-PI users will collect a few cards as they are so cheap, and each card can have a different operation system version, or a game or application (such as XBMC) on it.

scep

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:39 am

What type of computer do you have at the moment? Even if you do order a Pi you can get started now. If you don't want to mess / hack with your every day PC you should be able to get your hands on an old one free (e.g. Freecycle in the UK) or dirt cheap that would be perfectly good to run Linux or an old version of Windows.

meltwater

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 am

Hi first welcome to the forum.

A good place to shart should be the wiki, there are some guides and tutorials in there.
Also watch out for the MagPi, a community mag due to be released on 1st May. http://www.themagpi.com

For both, please let us know how you get on as we want to be able to help total beginners to get started with computers and programming. Sometimes we need reminding what we need to explain and what we don"t.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:10 am

Only thing I'd add is that at the moment we are in the very early stages of getting all the documentation and information in place. So what is available now won't necessarily be representative of information in 6 months, which I expect will be much more suited to someone like yourself. So if it's all a bit daunting, don't worry - its will get much better!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

SN

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:53 am

For those frightened of the whole Linux thing can I suggest you get hold of a copy of

or even better

Available on Amazon and elsewhere

Maybe someone will do one of these...

Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

rasbeer

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:43 pm

titanoman said:

all I know right now is a little bit about android. I"ve rooted 1 and I bricked 1. I have a top end Samsung right now, and would be afraid to try to root it.
I want to learn how to flash a custom rom, how a kernal works, and maybe create a web page.

A lot of this is about Android. I'm an inexpert Linux user, & but recently dabbling with an Android tablet I confess being quite unable to figure out where the Linux was...

I'm sure Raspi experience will help the OP, but - unless I've missed something blatantly obvious - he'll also need something explaining the Linux/Android connection...

jamesh

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:17 pm

In simplest terms, Android is a pretty interface with lots and bells and whistles, that runs on top of a Iinux kernel. Learning Android does not mean you are learnting Linux, or vica versa.

Learning about a Raspi can teach you about computers, but not much about Android or any of the specifics of any app that runs on Linux unless you aim that way. Since no-one has ported Android to the Raspi (yet), buying a Pi to learn about Android may not be the best approach.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

rasbeer

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:24 pm

JamesH said:

In simplest terms, Android is a pretty interface with lots and bells and whistles, that runs on top of a Iinux kernel. Learning Android does not mean you are learnting Linux, or vica versa.

Learning about a Raspi can teach you about computers, but not much about Android or any of the specifics of any app that runs on Linux unless you aim that way. Since no-one has ported Android to the Raspi (yet), buying a Pi to learn about Android may not be the best approach.

Sure - but perhaps it's a sub-optimal but reasonable approach, if there are some good explanations out there of how to get at the Linux underlying Android, and Android's atypical points relative to other Linux distros...

paulemm

Wed May 02, 2012 1:25 am

meltwater said:

Also watch out for the MagPi, a community mag due to be released on 1st May. http://www.themagpi.com

The MagPi does exist and EXACTLY meets the needs of a long time PC user with no technical expertise who has never used Linux and who is still waiting for delivery of a Pi. Its great to have SO MUCH info all in one place rather than trawling through these Forums (Fora, Fori ??).

I built and used a ZX81 over 30 years ago (err, and I wasnt a spring chicken then) and if this is only half as much fun then I'll have a ball. (no, not a Tar ball, whatever that is).

Apologies if this repeats an earlier attempt at posting - that seemed to disappear into a black hole somewhere.

PM

titanoman

Wed May 02, 2012 9:28 pm

I appreciate all the info I"m gaining reading this discussion.
I haven"t been following up because I just found out my dog, the only thing in life that I love, has Lymphoma (cancer).
She"s only 5, next week.
I"ve been crying like a little girl since last Wednesday, unable to think or care about anything else.
I"ll be back in a day or two to get back on track.

Thank you all for helping me to understand what this is and how best to get started learning.

Montala

Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 pm

SN said:

Maybe someone will do one of these...

I for one wish they would, as I am sure it would sell a hell of a lot of copies.

Something like this is badly needed, I think, but until then there is always the Magpi!

titanoman

Wed May 02, 2012 10:36 pm

I"m finding it hard to figure out this forum from an Android. Is there no "thank-you" button?
Thank you for the info.

(like I thought I quoted and replied to mahjongg"s post in this thread with this post. I guess not. Thanx mahjongg)

titanoman

Thu May 03, 2012 1:47 am

scep: (don"t know why I can"t quote posts. I"m clicking on the "quote/reply" balloon at the end of the post):
No pc right now.
I"ll do like you said, and pick one up cheap somewhere.

Thank you

titanoman

Thu May 03, 2012 1:48 am

Do I really have to do math after every past?

titanoman

Thu May 03, 2012 2:01 am

I guess this isn"t going to work until I get a pc?
I can"t quote posts that I want to reply to?
Not from a smartphone?
I tried "mobile" on/off on bottom of page, no diff.
Too bad this forum isn"t in Tapntalk?

piguy79

Thu May 03, 2012 3:27 am

did you try the other forum soon to be the only forum?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

titanoman

Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 am

Okay. Went to the Farnell place, registered my interest.
Then I got to an option to "pre-order" the "b board".
But upon clicking on that, I pretty much go right back to the "express your interest" page.
I see some fine print, addressing those that have pre-ordered, that they will be notified soon about delivery dates.
But I don"t know if I have pre-ordered or not. I don"t think I have, as I haven"t given them a credit card no or anything.
Just my e-mail and phone #.
I guess I"ll call the 9-5 number tomorrow.

I haven"t read much about this thing.
And what I have, the specs, don"t mean much to a computer illiterate guy like myself.
(except a few numbers, like 256mb)

But for $25 or $35 (I guess I want "the bundle"), I can"t lose even if I never figure it out.
(I could always carry it around and tell people I built it myself and use some tech-sounding words like "Dual-core Qualcomm Arm v7 Scorpion 1.5 gig self-bootstrapping side-loader with a factory bloat-reducing Nandroid scaled back to an over-clocked sync of 8bits per byte after sending the systemic ping to no less than 118mb/s at -113dbm after using the Logcat command". All my friends wouldn"t know the difference anyways).

Anyways, I am really interested in heating this thing

titanoman

Thu May 03, 2012 3:41 am

Sorry about the way my last post ended. On a phone, once you lose your place it"s a bear getting it back.
I was just trying to say that I really want one of these things.
Maybe someday I could share something intelligent with you guys instead off senseless jargon.
Thanx again

titanoman

Thu May 03, 2012 4:08 am

Thanx piguy79.
I see I start from scratch over there.
Maybe it"s for the better.
(of course it is)

Thanx

piguy79

Thu May 03, 2012 5:46 am

INFO ABOUT OTHER FORUM:

Since Christmas, we’ve been using the Simple:Press plugin for WordPress to run our forum. Recently however, the amount of traffic has increased to the point where we need to move to phpBB to keep our server load under control. I’ve ported a snapshot of the current forum across into a phpBB install. please have a play!

Note:

You should be able to use your Simple:Press user name and password to log in to phpBB. Luckily both systems use the same password hashing algorithm.
Posts on the new forum will be lost when we do the final migration. For now, please treat phpBB as a sandpit, and continue to use the Simple:Press forum for “real” posts.
We will not be migrating private messages to the new forum. Please take this opportunity to take a backup of any messages you wish to keep after the migration.

scep

Thu May 03, 2012 7:03 am

Please don't use the other forums for anything other than testing it - it's only a test and will be wiped clean when this forum is ported over in the very near future.

Ta.

Return to “Beginners”