shugs81

New PI purchaser!!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Hi peeps... will be buying a PI first think in the morning! :D

This one is going to be a media center to replace my roku... using openELEC... Initially I'll be streaming from my main PC but when I get round to it I'd like to build a NAS to host everything off my main computer.

Couple of quick questions.... I have a blu ray drive left over from a knackered laptop... would i be able to use it with the pi?? also would openelec pick up the media files from ps3media server?

and is openelec hard to set up with the plug in's like the catch up stations?

Like I say I haven't got it yet... but soon... so very very soon... :D

crystal

Re: New PI purchaser!!

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:37 am

shugs81 wrote: I have a blu ray drive left over from a knackered laptop... would i be able to use it with the pi??
You can mount that like any other device (HDD, CD-ROM etc)
shugs81 wrote: also would openelec pick up the media files from ps3media server?
Yes, there is option in OpenElec. As I remember, go to: Video > Files > add Source .... and you can add ip your server. It is working for me but I'm connecting to samba, this is the same.
shugs81 wrote: and is openelec hard to set up with the plug in's like the catch up stations?
There is lots of plugins there, also TV plugins I think you will find something for you. For my it is hard to say, I'm not using OpenElec for TV.

You need to know that OpenElec is very quick and works good on PI but linux over there is little bit limited, you can not install software like rtorrent. OpenElec has not package manager. Maybe you can compile some software from source but I'm not sure.

So maybe try first, Raspbmc.
_______
Regards
Crystal :)

shugs81

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:48 am

Thanx for the response... good to hear I can just set up samba and use that too!!

As for the torrents that wasn't going to be on the open elec set up... I'm planning to build a pi NAS and put all the media files on that and also include torrents as part of the set up.... but thats for another time!! ;)
You can mount that like any other device (HDD, CD-ROM etc)
Would it still play blu rays at full hd?? someone told me it wasn't possible using a laptop drive..

Mortimer

Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:16 am

I'd be very surprised if the Raspberry Pi could play Blu-Ray disks at all.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

ghans

Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:32 pm

Yeah , there are other things than only AACS around ,
and that one will be hard for the CPU anyway (if you can get
it working in the first place) .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

shugs81

Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:17 am

ok... I'll leave the Blu ray player off then... :D

cheers anyways peeps... it's on its way!!! :D:D:D

crystal

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:10 am

shugs81 wrote:Would it still play blu rays at full hd?? someone told me it wasn't possible using a laptop drive..
Sorry for misunderstood I thought that you asking about using that, not play Blue Ray movies.
_______
Regards
Crystal :)

shugs81

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:43 am

No worries...

was just testing the water to see if it could...

Return to “Beginners”