katzohki

Re: Mini peripherals for RPi (Monitor, keyboard etc)

Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 pm

I apologize if this has been asked and answered, but I've tried looking around and cannot find anything using search.

I want to get mini-sized keyboard, monitor and mouse for my Raspberry Pi, something along the lines of not much bigger than the RPi itself. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Obviously with the RPi I'd like to keep the power consumption down.

Here are a couple choices I have looked at so far:

Smart Touch Mini USB TouchPad Keyboard

3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile

Thanks,

--Jesse

Chromatix

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Miniature peripherals will demand small fingers and keen eyesight.  If that's okay with you, then fine.

A common theme with miniature monitors (normally designed for in-car use for entertainment or as a reversing camera display) is that they tend to take a Composite input rather than a HDMI one.  This might then not be mapped very precisely to the physical display - in the 3-4" category you should expect QVGA resolution in practice, even though the R-Pi will think it has VGA to work with.  I have one which deletes scanlines seemingly at random to fit the vertical dimension in.

There are a few displays in the 7" category out there which claim to support HD via HDMI.  These cost somewhat more than your basic miniature display, as you might expect.  They are also about the same size as miniature keyboards that are meant for regular use by adult-sized hands, which might prove convenient.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

katzohki

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 pm

OK cool thanks. I found this one also, which is battery powered. I'm thinking USB or battery power may be a good way to go...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLM.....=de_a_smtd

katzohki

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:41 pm

EDIT: ooops double posted

SN

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:02 pm

katzohki said:

OK cool thanks. I found this one also, which is battery powered. I'm thinking USB or battery power may be a good way to go...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLM.....=de_a_smtd

Apparently High Resolution is 480 x 234 these days....

Console only methinks with this beastie
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

colin B

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:05 am

I have just purchased

this little do-dad

Very limited amount still available, and , if it doesn'"t work with the Pi, it'"ll do for my PIC stuff.

7+2 != 11
On a clear disk one can seek forever

john_wage

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:36 am

I've used Debian with some xxx*480 screens, it's just barely enough for a desktop environment, I've come across some windowed applications for Debian can't be resized smaller than around 480, sometimes 500 pixels in height.

For using anything smaller than xxx*480 with a desktop environment I would recommend installing a panning application.

katzohki

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm starting to think that if I want a small display, I'm going to need one that is HD so I can read the screen better.

The idea is that I can have something that is nearly pocket portable - or at least backpack portable. Something I can put under the seat of an airplane (carry on).

Pygar

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:53 am

I have the wired version of an iPazzPort keyboard, and I like it a lot. Tiny keyboard, trackpad large enough for real use... good mouse function. Like everyone else, i'd love to find a good 6 or 7 inch monitor at an uninflated price... my Pi, its peripherals and such, are slated to go in a clear 3 by 5 file card box, and such a monitor would fit on top of the box without much overhang.
"Mean kitty, bad kitty
Vicious ball of fur!
Fighty kitty, bitey kitty!
Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!"

katzohki

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 am

Since I can see that I'm not the only person that might be interested in this, I'll share a list that I've been making on Amazon.

http://amzn.com/w/3ETSFQGXSGWJW

Sadly, most of the monitors are either very expensive, or too low in resolution to be very useful (ie: the portable TVs).

sdjf

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:57 am

The 'Super Tiny USB Keyboard' from Brando is bigger than you mentioned, but still very small and low power consumption.  Official dimensions are 170 x 73 x 15 mm, about 3x7 inches.  I used one with my PDA for about a year before the usb connector got too worn to be reliable.  I do not know if the keymappings would  be compatible with the  Raspberry Pi - I know that the symbols  recognized by my Linux PDA were in different locations - I taped labels to the keys so I knew what symbol was where.  And the antiskid strips on the bottom wore loose, so not the best contruction, but worth considering if nothing else in a small keyboard turns up that meets your specifications.  I did enjoy using it until the connector wore out.

I want to give an exact URL but am on VNC and unable to copy/paste or to type certain essential symbols, so suggest the following in a search engine:

http://usb.brando.com  super-tiny-keyboard 170x73x15
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

JakeGrey

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:09 am

Maplin's or Amazon have some quite reasonably-priced portable LCD televisions with HDMI input, and some of the better ones even come with a USB port; it's intended for plugging in a thumb drive to view photos and videos, but I suspect it could be used to actually power the R-Pi with the right sort of cable. The only minor drawback is the lack of touchscreen.

As for mice and keyboards, miniature ones both wired and wireless can be bought almost anywhere and are probably much of a muchness. But avoid those "flexible" rubber ones if you actually want something portable, or at least the cheap ones; folding them up plays merry hell with the internal circuitry.

katzohki

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:50 am

@sdjf - Thanks for the suggestion! The keys can be remapped to suit a specific keyboard, so happy end for that!

@JakeGrey - Do you have any specifics? I've looked on Amazon a lot for this. The lcd photoframe things seem like they would be great (and cheap!), but they don't seem to ever have an input.

nathan.warren69

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 am

Ive just ordered one of these, i also have a 7 inch touch screen usb powered moniter, will it be able to run off of the R-Pi and will it be able to be used as a screen? Ta

davesedar

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:52 am

I've ordered a 7" sat nav with AV input (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-Fr.....8423wt_962)

to use as a monitor in the car, suppose it would work for a while on its own battery for a portable use.

It obviously has a touch-screen, I was hoping to write or find a Windows CE soft-keyboard  application  to enable it as a keyboard over a USB connection.

Its taking ages from China, but may still beat the 28 may for my rpi.

IanLinsdell

Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Specs claim this newer Pyle PL90HRBK is:
1024 X 600
12V

Its is selling on amazon for $74 = about 47 GBP

klutz

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:40 am

I am using the Rii mini combo model keyboard and mouse pad. It is a wireless device and is the same width as the Pi and about 2 inches longer. It has worked flawlessly and is the only combo that works with my WiFi adapter. You will need a powered hub as the device needs 5V @ 300 ma.

Model number RT-MVK01 US layout. I got mine at www.Amazon.com

razor5cl

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:46 pm

I you don't mind the price, the Logitech anywhere mx is good. I use this mouse's older brother, the performance mx with my full sized pc

soupy_twist

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 am

davesedar wrote:I've ordered a 7" sat nav with AV input (http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-Fr.....8423wt_962)
Did you end up liking this monitor?

toytttttt

Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:33 pm

I can see that people stopped posting here long ago, but what about this: http://www.adafruit.com/products/947
OH NO! ITS A GEEK IDEA!

Return to “Beginners”